Big changes to Cruise Directors???

backnine05

Honestly, I can't tell you who the CD was on any of our cruises. Now I can give you names of CD's we have had, but not which ship and/or cruise. I guess what I'm saying is, to us, the CD has not been a major factor in our cruise experience, except the ones who are constantly making annoying announcements on the PA system.

When does Butch start on the Sunshine? On the 2013-2014 schedule it says he is still on the Breeze....wondering if this is one of the changes JH was talking about

I am not sure, he even left the Breeze before debarkation of the passengers, the assistant CD did the debarkation announcements. He had announced at one of the shows that this was his last cruise on the Breeze as the CD and was going to be the CD on the Sunshine. My mom said she heard him say he was going to San Diego first on one of his morning televised shows (but she is half deaf, so not sure if that is true--maybe time off before starting on the Sunshine?)

Just off the Splendor yesterday and our CD was Eli Sharplin - none existent for the most part. Never saw him once off of a stage and he spent wayyyyyy too much time on the PA.

The CD was supposed to be Malcolm Burns, but he extended his vacation for another week.

The ACD was Donkey a spanish guy from australia, he was nice, personable, but still not ready to be a CD yet in my opinion.

I thought Eli was quite good. Had the opportunity to meet and talk with him several times throughout my cruise. Loved his Eli Eli O especially since my DH was one of his subjects and for the entire cruise didn't let him forget it. Also loved his impersonation at the Legends show.

I think Eli told us your cruse was his last then he goes back to New Zealand to teach for their school year and will be on the Legend when they break at the End of the year.

Steve Cassel was the best one I have ever seen on Carnival. I have been on two cruises on the Ecstasy when he was CD there. Would be great to have him again, but probably not likely.

To me it makes a great deal of difference on who the CD is. Their personality sets the tone at the Welcome Aboard show for me if they are fun and entertaining and not just standing up there making announcements.

BUT, either way, I have never had a bad cruise, even with a bad cruise director!

But this isn't an announcement about any anything. JH was asked about who would be CD on certian cruisses and could not answer, and was infroming readders of his blog why. It sounds like they are going to making some kind of personal moves and don't want to tell the general public untill after the CD conference where they will be letting the effected personal know.

The original post contained the following as a quote from JH:

"this will be one of the most important conferences we have had in a long time. Big changes ahead that I have no doubt you, the guest, will appreciate very much"

So, I guess you can choose to believe one of two things. Either

(1) in response to an innocuous question about CD scheduling, JH let down his guard and slipped out some information, not intended for general circulation, that "big changes" were coming, or

(2) in a carefully planned and pre-scripted move, JH used the opportunity of the blog question to make a pre-release announcement in the hopes of generating buzz and attention.

I know which one I believe.

I thought Eli was quite good. Had the opportunity to meet and talk with him several times throughout my cruise. Loved his Eli Eli O especially since my DH was one of his subjects and for the entire cruise didn't let him forget it. Also loved his impersonation at the Legends show.

I think Eli told us your cruse was his last then he goes back to New Zealand to teach for their school year and will be on the Legend when they break at the End of the year.

it was indeed his last cruise on the splendor as far as I know. he was actually supposed to be gone the week before. I knew he was a teacher, but I see on the CD schedule he is supposed to be off until April and then he is on the Elation from New Orleans. He seemed like a nice guy and his Legends show appearance was quite funny.

And if we're really lucky, they'll appoint CD MATT to teach all the others

how to talk mellow into the microphone for those often annoying announcements

instead of being too-close to the mic.

where it comes across too loud and harshly like so many of the other CDs do.

And if we're really lucky, they'll appoint CD MATT to teach all the others

how to talk mellow into the microphone for those often annoying announcements

instead of being too-close to the mic.

where it comes across too loud and harshly like so many of the other CDs do.

No, if we're lucky, CCL will train all CD's to eliminate many of their PA announcements.

When does Butch start on the Sunshine? On the 2013-2014 schedule it says he is still on the Breeze....wondering if this is one of the changes JH was talking about

He is replacing Jaime since she goes on vacation. He starts sometime this month. When Jaime comes back Butch leaves and goes back to the Breeze.

OMG Karl with a K was the BEST CD ever! Last year on the Liberty, he was sick all week with a cold but every time you turned around there was Karl. Out of all my cruises he has been the most hands on CD. So sad he's not with Carnival anymore

I agree with you. I never paid much attention to CD's at all but Karl with a K had an energy that ignited everything. He was awesome. Where did he go? I had him on a couple of cruises...just curious as I thought he was really delightful. And I won my first ship on a stick with him! :D

I agree with you. I never paid much attention to CD's at all

but Karl with a K had an energy that ignited everything.

He was awesome.

Where did he go?

Where did he go?

He is no longer a Carnival CD, and is currently touring South America with his lovely blonde girl-friend!

I get his location updates every now and then on the unmentionable Facebook.

As of 12 hrs. ago, he was in Santiago, Chile!

Edited by Aplmac

To me, a Cruise Director on a ship is a bit like a DJ on your favorite radio station. There are some you like, and some that you wish would just be quiet and play the music. I do have to admit that Jaime is a terrific CD, very likeable and very upbeat. Karl "with a K" was good too. So sorry he's gone. Making announcements is just part of a CD's job and never really bother us. Maybe part of the upcoming meeting will be to discuss NOT using the same corny jokes over and over again. Maybe George Lopez will be there to offer some fresh ideas.

To me, a Cruise Director on a ship is a bit like a DJ on your favorite radio station. There are some you like, and some that you wish would just be quiet and play the music. I do have to admit that Jaime is a terrific CD, very likeable and very upbeat. Karl "with a K" was good too. So sorry he's gone. Making announcements is just part of a CD's job and never really bother us. Maybe part of the upcoming meeting will be to discuss NOT using the same corny jokes over and over again. Maybe George Lopez will be there to offer some fresh ideas.

Real announcements fine, but the continuous sales pitches about Bingo in 30 minutes, gold by the inch sales, photo ops, etc. these become annoying. We have the Fun Times and already have the schedules.

Real announcements fine, but the continuous sales pitches about Bingo in 30 minutes, gold by the inch sales, photo ops, etc. these become annoying. We have the Fun Times and already have the schedules.

Totally agree. Got a little tired of it on the Valor last week. But you almost get to the point when you tune it out.

They ought to make announcements to tell people to use the hand sanitizers to avoid norovirus breakouts that occurred on Explorer of the Seas and Caribbean Princess this past week.

Totally agree. Got a little tired of it on the Valor last week. But you almost get to the point when you tune it out.

They ought to make announcements to tell people to use the hand sanitizers to avoid norovirus breakouts that occurred on Explorer of the Seas and Caribbean Princess this past week.

It wouldn't do any good. You could talk to people until you're blue in the face, but some there are some people that won't change their hygiene habits. Plus there are those that, like you, would get tired of the announcements and tune them out.

For us a Cruise Director never really makes a cruise but one can certainly take away from the enjoyment of it.

Jen Baxter (ie. Queen Waver), had such a grating voice and felt the need to make 4 or 5 PA announcements an hour, that we were happy to go ashore to get a break from the audible assault.

Jen Dee on the other hand did a noticeably great job on another cruise we took.

I am more concerned with the quality of the Camp Carnival staff in identifying age appropriate activities within their groups......I think those people deserve a big raise.

I wonder why they never promoted the Farewell party over the intercom like they do for the sales?

Oh wait, that was money going out, not coming in.:eek:

Bill

I don't care enough about Carnival to hang on every word when they announce that they will soon be making an announcement about a future announcement. But if you do, I wouldn't hold my breath. Based on past experience, there often seems to be a lot of hype without much substance.

As a matter of full disclosure, I should say that I really don't care who the cruise director is on a particular ship, other than that I prefer someone who isn't constantly in my face with loud annoying announcements. I'm as interested in knowing who the cruise director of a ship is as I am in knowing who the manager of the hotel I stay at is.

To me the CDs are the most annoying part of a cruise, especially the loud ones that won't shut up.

I have never been very interested in who the CD is on my upcoming cruise, ok maybe mildly interested, but really it doesnt really matter to me, and as for the announcements, I can tune those out, like I can other things.:D

I have remembered CD's on some of my cruises, including John Heald, and that was back in 2004, but the one who really stands out and impresses me is Butch. He was on the cruise I took with my Mom on Liberty back in 2009.

We saw him all over the ship, and he was very approachable (which is something I dont do ), but a lady I knew on board waved him down early one morning, as we were having coffee on the promenade, and he stopped and chatted for quite some time. Also saw him help with folks in wheelchairs who were reboarding the ship in Cozumel. Like I say, he was everywhere and always smiling and seemingly loving his job. He impressed me the most.!

Next cruise I really dont care who is CD and will take my chances as they say, but either way, there have not been any I found annoying or unpleasant.