1st time cruiser, cruising alone with kids...wwyd?

TwinsXTwo

I am heading on a cruise alone with my 4 school age kids for spring break. I live in Virginia, so I could just drive on over to Baltimore and hop on the Carnival Pride...or I could drive down to Port Canaveral (11 hour drive) and leave on the Carnival Sunshine or Freedom of the Seas.

I know I'm asking an opinion question and there is no 'right' answer. Having never cruised before, I'm just curious, what would you do?

Anyone have a preference b/w these ships? I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on the Sunshine...but the ship looks like a lot of fun.

I like the iterneraries and ships that leave out of Port Canaveral better, but is the convenience of Baltimore worth the trade?

Thanks for your response. I'm having a hard time making a decision - probably b/c there isn't another adult going with me to talk to about the pros/cons and get their opinion...

In the first sentence you made the decision for me. Do you really want to drive to Florida with 4 school age kids? :D It would be easier, and less expensive, to just sail from Baltimore.

Roz

I cruise alone with my 3 kids. Cruising is a great vacation for a solo adult + kids. I would go with Freedom of the Seas. My kids remind me every time I book a cruise that I promised them that I wouldn't take them on a Carnival cruise ever again. They hated it.

What's YOUR preference? Driving for 11 hours with four kids or a shorter drive? For me, the shorter drive trumps everything.

FYI, you must have a notarized, signed letter from the parent who's not cruising giving you permission to take the kids out of the country. If you don't have this letter, you could be refused boarding, and no refund.

Don't make the mistake other first timers made by not having the birth certificates for everyone. They must be government issued birth certificates, and if any of the kids are 16 or older, they need a photo ID.

If you haven't booked your cruise yet, you really need to do this soon. Spring break cruises book more than 7 or 8 months out, and you may find that there are no cabins for five available on any ship.

Edited by kitty9

Oh, another factor: Rooms...

-on the Pride out of Baltimore, there is no cabin that sleeps 5. I am able to book a balcony and an inside right across the hall from the balcony room - they will not book connecting balconies b/c there has to be an adult in each cabin for safety reasons. There are no connecting oceanviews or interiors...so separate cabins are the only option. There is a chance I might be able to get 3 rooms: a two person balcony connected to a two person interior (they have these at the front of the Pride) and a two person interior across the hall. Then we could all cram into the two connecting rooms anyhow.

-I was able to snag a 6 person Family Ocean View room on the Freedom of the Seas - no balcony, but we'd all be in the same room.

so, again, those that have cruised with kids before, would having the kids across the hall upset you? My cruise guy makes it sound like it's no big deal - of course he also discouraged me from leaving the ship on any shore excursions b/c I was traveling alone with so many kids...

...and my kid ages are: two 8 yr olds and two 10 yr olds.

thanks for the reminder about the notorized letter.

...my preference is not to drive, but I've read lots of advice about not choosing the cruise by the embarkation point b/c that is just getting to the vacation - to choose the cruise by the iternerary and ship amenities - but, I guess that's not always realistic b/c embarkation point does matter when it's an 820 mile drive!

I guess there is always flying...but I think the flights during that time have gotten pretty expensive.

I am heading on a cruise alone with my 4 school age kids for spring break. I live in Virginia, so I could just drive on over to Baltimore and hop on the Carnival Pride...or I could drive down to Port Canaveral (11 hour drive) and leave on the Carnival Sunshine or Freedom of the Seas.

I know I'm asking an opinion question and there is no 'right' answer. Having never cruised before, I'm just curious, what would you do?

Anyone have a preference b/w these ships? I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on the Sunshine...but the ship looks like a lot of fun.

I like the iterneraries and ships that leave out of Port Canaveral better, but is the convenience of Baltimore worth the trade?

Thanks for your response. I'm having a hard time making a decision - probably b/c there isn't another adult going with me to talk to about the pros/cons and get their opinion...

Delete

Edited by NMLady

Others may disagree, but I think kids as young as yours are too young to have a cabin alone, so connecting cabins with an inside door is the best choice. Many with older kids will book an inside across the hall for the kids, but IMHO, 8 and 10 year olds are too young for that scenario.

I would agree about not having even the 10-year olds in their own cabin. (and if there's no cabins left for this spring break...book for next summer or next year so you can get one big enough).

Also, if you book the one you have to drive to, I would strongly suggest going a day before and booking a hotel room for the night. What if something happens to the car? And you won't want to start a cruise exhausted from the driving.

I have a friend did a cruise without her husband (he would rather do watersports in Ensenada without the family:rolleyes:) which entailed flying. One of her kids, I think was 12 and the autistic one was maybe 8 -- and he's a handful. The next cruise she talked her husband into coming along, so it must have been a lot for her.

I'm not going to go on this cruise out of Baltimore. Although convenient, the cabin situation is a deal breaker. I don't want my sons in a separate room and the ship has no other options.

I will drive down to Florida (sigh) and catch a ship there that has more options (ocean view connecting or family staterooms).

I think that's a good choice. With them being that young I'd rather being the same room or connecting cabins. If they were 12/13 I'd be ok with the room across the hall.

Hope you have fun. I think our boys were 8 & 10 when we were on Freedom & they loved it. They're favorite spot was Sorrentos pizza