Has Anyone had their B of A Visa card converted to a Signature Card

molly361

That's fair enough. I would be interested in hearing whether these new cards will work in the Chip and Pin devices in the UK though, not that it applies to me.

We have a JP Morgan Credit Card that has a chip in it and we use it only when traveling. We've used it in London and, though we were able to insert the card into the machine, we still had to sign. We still can not use a PIN number.

I don't know about the RCI Visa Signature card.

Edited by cruisenfever

We have a JP Morgan Credit Card that has a chip in it and we use it only when traveling. We've used it in London and, though we were able to insert the card into the machine, we still had to sign. We still can not use a PIN number.

That's interesting. That would suggest that the Chip and Pin technology that's being used in the US is slightly different to that in the UK, which would also suggest (via assumption) that I could not use my Chip and Pin card may not work in shops in the USA that currently accept the new Chip and Pin Technology. Shame really.

Patti, If you check my link above it says "Chase announced Feb. 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN cards this year."

Patti, If you check my link above it says "Chase announced Feb. 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN cards this year."

Issuing is one thing, but whether it works in other countries that support chip and pin (and I am not talking about ATM machines at the moment) is another.

Yes, I saw that. One can only hope.

But before they can do that, they will have to convert all their credit card readers to accept the PIN numbers. This is going to cost big bucks and is one reason why the US is so behind the other countries when it comes to PIN and CHIP.

Edited by cruisenfever

We have the Royal Caribbean Visa Preferred Card and I don't see the significant difference in changing to the Signature. Can someone tell me what the benefit would be?

Me too.... I don't know why some people seem to be so concerned about this. All I want is a credit card that will work and have a credit limit high enough for what I use it for. I don't care if it has a fancy name that is supposed to make me feel important.... :)

The credit limit was not high enough for what I wanted to put on it initially. So I just requested a credit limit increase. No problem, the limit was doubled in a few days.

I have the Royal Platinum Plus card with the chip for a year or so and I still had fraud charges against it. More than once. There is only one place where I use the chip in the card and that is at Wal-Mart. That has only been in use for about 2 months. I still have to sign.

I will be going to Canada on a cruise next month. I wonder if their machines use the chip instead of swiping. I do not have a pin, so I assume I will have to sign instead.

Is there any benefit to changing the Plus card to the Signature? I hate to get another card number since I just had to have a new card issued 2 wks. ago. But, if it is better to have the Signature card, I would go ahead and do it.

Gwen :)

Me too.... I don't know why some people seem to be so concerned about this. All I want is a credit card that will work and have a credit limit high enough for what I use it for. I don't care if it has a fancy name that is supposed to make me feel important.... :)

The credit limit was not high enough for what I wanted to put on it initially. So I just requested a credit limit increase. No problem, the limit was doubled in a few days.

According to this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5 this is the newest Credit Card being issued under the RCI logo by BofA.

I would still like to know more about this Royal Caribbean Visa Preferred Card and what benefits and rewards it has. It is not advertised on the RCI website. Can you provide a link for us?

Edited by cruisenfever

Agreed, they both get points the same and you cash them in the same way.

You can go to boa's website and use your login and increase your credit line, just takes a min or so and its instant, have done it twice

I have the Royal Platinum Plus card with the chip for a year or so and I still had fraud charges against it. More than once. There is only one place where I use the chip in the card and that is at Wal-Mart. That has only been in use for about 2 months. I still have to sign.

I will be going to Canada on a cruise next month. I wonder if their machines use the chip instead of swiping. I do not have a pin, so I assume I will have to sign instead.

Is there any benefit to changing the Plus card to the Signature? I hate to get another card number since I just had to have a new card issued 2 wks. ago. But, if it is better to have the Signature card, I would go ahead and do it.

Gwen :)

When in Canada you will still have to sign even though your Platinum Plus has a Chip in it.

Check out the link in my post above and you can see what the Signature Visa offers. I guess the best thing is that you can earn double points for transactions on Celebrity and Azamara as well as RCI.

We have the Royal Caribbean Visa Preferred Card and I don't see the significant difference in changing to the Signature. Can someone tell me what the benefit would be?

I agree, doesn't look like there's any difference in point accrual.

Guest maddycat
no, but my wife's card has a security chip and mine doesn't. we have both received new cards in last year, but mine is still old style

Call BOA and ask them to send you a card with a chip.

We recently received BOA replacement cards that still indicates Platinum Plus.

After speaking with a rep at BOA, I asked what is the difference between the Signature card and the Platinum Plus. The Platinum Plus card has a higher credit limit/line than the Signature card. Also on the Plat. Plus, you can go over your limit by 10-15%, where as on the Signature Card, you can go over by a small $ amount, she indicated about $500 over the credit line. Now we know the difference between both cards.

The new cards they are sending out do have a chip.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Not sure what all the talk is about. Why upgrade/change cards? It's the same benefits I've had since 2008. Except I got 15,000 points instead of 10,000. Granted that's for new cards not upgraded, but still not sure why people care about this besides the higher credit limit (not sure that is a real benefit). The ability to overcharge more on the Platinum seems more like a spending problem then a benefit.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I won't do my main card b/c they will not guarantee I get the same credit limit. We pay it off every month, but cannot be stuck with a $2000 limit.

We got another one for emergencies and that is the signature. Using it long enough to get the $3500 we have to have for the plane tickets then it will go into the drawer and only used once a year to keep it active.

Will continue to use our main card which is a platinum card with a huge credit limit.

[quote name='lv2bcruzin']Not sure what all the talk is about. Why upgrade/change cards? It's the same benefits I've had since 2008. Except I got 15,000 points instead of 10,000. Granted that's for new cards not upgraded, but still not sure why people care about this besides the higher credit limit (not sure that is a real benefit). The ability to overcharge more on the Platinum seems more like a spending problem then a benefit.[/QUOTE]

It would only be a spending problem for someone if the bill is not paid in full monthly. When you have 2 final payments due in the same billing cycle, the higher credit limit makes sense for us.

[quote name='lv2bcruzin']Not sure what all the talk is about. Why upgrade/change cards? [B]It's the same benefits I've had since 2008.[/B] Except I got 15,000 points instead of 10,000. Granted that's for new cards not upgraded, but still not sure why people care about this besides the higher credit limit (not sure that is a real benefit). The ability to overcharge more on the Platinum seems more like a spending problem then a benefit.[/quote]
Not really. The new benefit with the Signature Visa is that you can earn double points not only with RCI but now with Celebrity and Azamara transactions as well as redeeming points and using them on all three lines. For those that cruise all 3 lines, it's a win win situation. Can't do that with the Platinum Plus. Edited by cruisenfever

[quote name='cruisenfever']Not really. The new benefit with the Signature Visa is that you can earn double points not only with RCI but now with Celebrity and Azamara transactions as well as redeeming points and using them on all three lines. For those that cruise all 3 lines, it's a win win situation. Can't do that with the Platinum Plus.[/QUOTE]

My RC Visa is a Platinum Plus, and I get double points on both RCI and Celebrity. I checked back on my statement. Not sure if I would be able to redeem for Celebrity, but I did get the bonus points for both company charges.

[quote name='debshomespun']My RC Visa is a Platinum Plus, and I get double points on both RCI and Celebrity. I checked back on my statement. Not sure if I would be able to redeem for Celebrity, but I did get the bonus points for both company charges.[/quote]
Not sailing Celebrity, I forgot that you would earn points with the PP Card for Celebrity transactions. Now, you can redeem your points and use them on all three lines. That you could not do before. Plus, I don't believe that Azamara was included. Edited by cruisenfever

[quote name='chickenflicker']I changed to the Signature because it [COLOR=Red]doesn't have a fee for international purchases[/COLOR]. They doubled my credit limit with it even tho I pay it off every month.[/quote]
That's a useful feature, I'll have to look into the new card.:)

[quote name='chickenflicker']I changed to the Signature because it doesn't have a fee for international purchases. They doubled my credit limit with it even tho I pay it off every month.[/QUOTE][B]Wrong[/B] Quoted from the T & C's "Transaction Fees - Foreign Transactions - 3% of the U.S. Dollar amount of each transaction made in a foreign currency or made in U.S. Dollars that is processed outside the United States.
This fee will be in addition to any other applicable fee" [url]https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VABV2Q#tc[/url] Edited by FLACRUISER99

[quote name='FLACRUISER99'][B]Wrong[/B] Quoted from the T & C's "Transaction Fees - Foreign Transactions - 3% of the U.S. Dollar amount of each transaction made in a foreign currency or made in U.S. Dollars that is processed outside the United States.
This fee will be in addition to any other applicable fee" [URL]https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VABV2Q#tc[/URL][/quote]
Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'll stick with the Capital One card for foreign purchases.

Visa Signature cards usually have more benefits available on them:

[URL="https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp"]https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp[/URL]

The Royal Caribbean Visa Signature card....not so much. ;) The offers ARE available with the RC Visa Signature card.

We are thinking about switching to the BofA travel rewards card, which awards points that can be applied to any travel, and actually DOESN'T carry an international transaction fee. :D Edited by Coralc