Blu Review - Reflection 1/18/14

Alsmez

I suspect that celebrity has realized they have created a space problem in Blu on the reflection and they have (rationally) decided the best way to help alleviate the problem is to discount the specialty restaurants to aqua passengers. I suppose that's a good solution if enough passengers want to dine in the specialty restaurants.

Someone in HQ decided that on the first night, they would ask aqua passengers to dine at either 6:00 or 8:30 (might change a little on a specific cruise)....however on every cruise, I ask why they do this and the answer is always...we haven't a clue!!! However the procedure persists. We are risk takers so we just go to blu on the first night when we want to eat...and we've never had a wait. I've also asked if that's OK with the Blu maitre d' and the answer is always "come when you like". It does seem a bit silly that a dining room geared to seat people as they come can't do that on the first night (at least according to HQ)....and having everyone come at once strains the kitchen. It's really a ridiculous practice IMHO.

It was the first time we have ever experienced the 6:30 dining time ...we said @#$%! this and went at 7:30 with no problem. I don't understand why they do it this way the first night, either...you're right, it is ridiculous!

We did have a wait at 8:00 on two of the nights...that is why we kept an eye on the incoming from the Ensemble Lounge...and Vicent made a great drink! :)

On a side note...we asked for the back section of the restaurant (we liked our waiter) and the area was never full...we started to wonder if the wait was to kinda push some into going to the specialty restaurants...one very angry guest had been waiting for 25 minutes for a seat in Blu. The next evening all 4 benches (outside of Blu) were full and many were standing around. We had about a 10 minute wait...and again, the back of Blu had many open seats. :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by 20pluscruises

Thanks for the excellent and amusing review, Alsmez. Just two comments about breakfast: I ordered poached eggs every morning and they were excellent, though I could have broken a tooth on the bacon strips; my wife has a very dry sense of humor so when she order the muesli, she told the waitress not to bother wheeling out the cart "Just throw some stuff on it" But the young lady was not to be denied and out came the cart.

On a side note...we asked for the back section of the restaurant (we liked our waiter) and the area was never full...we started to wonder if the wait was to kinda push some into going to the specialty restaurants...one very angry guest had been waiting for 25 minutes for a seat in Blu. The next evening all 4 benches (outside of Blu) were full and many were standing around. We had about a 10 minute wait...and again, the back of Blu had many open seats. :confused::confused::confused:

I think a lot of people would request the same table or waiter they had started the cruise with - I noticed that a couple of times, and it did lead to a pile up. We didn't care whose section we sat in so it was always smooth sailing in the evening (we did eat at 8 or later most nights, though).

Edited by Alsmez

Is it possible to get a table for 4 at Blu? Everything I've seen looks like it's all tables of two.

Yes, in fact, at least 8 out of 10 nights our party of four was given one of the larger round tables as you first walk into the restaurant. The tables were positioned to the right, and they could also accommodate 5 people nicely.

We were taken to that table on night two, and it always seemed to be available most nights. We dined on the earlier end, 6:00 or so. It was great for people watching. All of us enjoyed the table immensely.

As others have said, two tables for two will be pushed together for 4-tops.

Can you give me some idea of what times are considered to be prime? Thanks

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know, because we never ever had a problem. 10 nights out of 10, but we always showed up anywhere from 6:05 to 6:20.

Will be interested to see what happens in a couple months when we decided to go at the popular time:eek: We only dined that early since the people we were traveling with liked to eat that early. We are flexible, but usually prefer later dining on board. Like others, we love to dine at 6:45 to 8:15ish, but have come to realize these times are nearly impossible to get seated (on other cruiselines) We are used to Princess Anytime dining, (which really was never at any time) but have encountered ridiculous waits when choosing to show up at the popular times. I can tell you one thing; I've never experienced a long wait when showing up to a dining room at 8:30 or 8:45.

Edited by 4cats4me

I do get the feeling that at least some of the waits for seating Blu are not so much the peak time, but that people are waiting for specific tables. We were flexible and always seated immediately or in just the time it took to clear and set a table. We also noted that when Blu is crowded, it remains cooler and airier at the back of the room than it does out toward the windows.

• 3 weeks later...
I suspect that celebrity has realized they have created a space problem in Blu on the reflection and they have (rationally) decided the best way to help alleviate the problem is to discount the specialty restaurants to aqua passengers. I suppose that's a good solution if enough passengers want to dine in the specialty restaurants.

Someone in HQ decided that on the first night, they would ask aqua passengers to dine at either 6:00 or 8:30 (might change a little on a specific cruise)....however on every cruise, I ask why they do this and the answer is always...we haven't a clue!!! However the procedure persists. We are risk takers so we just go to blu on the first night when we want to eat...and we've never had a wait. I've also asked if that's OK with the Blu maitre d' and the answer is always "come when you like". It does seem a bit silly that a dining room geared to seat people as they come can't do that on the first night (at least according to HQ)....and having everyone come at once strains the kitchen. It's really a ridiculous practice IMHO.

I was told by someone in CS that their software requires that they put in a seating time for the first day. They put in 6PM but you can go anytime the BLU is open, including the first evening.

• 10 months later...
I was told by someone in CS that their software requires that they put in a seating time for the first day. They put in 6PM but you can go anytime the BLU is open, including the first evening.
Does this still hold true or do I need to phone Celebrity to have it changed? 6 pm is too early for our family. :o Thanks in advance. :)

Does this still hold true or do I need to phone Celebrity to have it changed? 6 pm is too early for our family. :o Thanks in advance. :)

They assign a time and put it in a letter

But the letter says you may go anytime not just the time assigned just off silhouette Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by true45

Hi - I've been playing with going solo on Reflection in Feb or March in Aqua Class, but I'm getting a little scared off on the news of waits for eating. Did any of you Reflection Blu folks (or folks who ate at Blu on other ships) notice how they handle solos? I don't want to have to wait even longer because I'm a second-class citizen....

Mosey

Hi - I've been playing with going solo on Reflection in Feb or March in Aqua Class, but I'm getting a little scared off on the news of waits for eating. Did any of you Reflection Blu folks (or folks who ate at Blu on other ships) notice how they handle solos? I don't want to have to wait even longer because I'm a second-class citizen....

Mosey

Mosey, I usually travel solo and nearly always in AQ, up until my recent bookings, that is, where I am forgoing Blu in favor of Specialty Restaurant dining. (After so many cruises in AQ, the same 5+ yr old Blu menus have gone stale for me.) Anyway, as a solo you wait no longer than the couple or group of 4 behind you. You'll get the first table available to the next in line, unless you are waiting for a specific one or particular server. Just do not let them seat you where you do not wish to be seated. I can only think of once or twice where the host tried to hide me next to the service area door and I politely but firmly asked for another seat.

Mosey

If you are on the March 28th sailing on the Reflection you are welcome to join our party of 3 for breakfast or dinner. :)

Mosey

Hi,:) I always sail solo and have been in AQ 3 times. If I may make a

suggestion.......the last cruise I was in AQ was April 2014 and

we had a very fun roll call.:D There were quite a few folks who were

also in AQ and we had a nice group who ate together several

evenings.

I have also eaten on my own as well. I didn't feel like I was treated

as a 2nd class citizen but it was more fun dining with others;)

And one other thing, I LOVE the breakfasts in Blu:)....I would

definitely recommend trying a few things on the menu....the vanilla

pancakes are delicious!

Edited by Lois R

If you are on the March 28th sailing on the Reflection you are welcome to join our party of 3 for breakfast or dinner. :)

thank you, Arubalisa! That's super nice of you. I'm hoping to go in early February though. These cold days are getting to me here in Boston! I can't hold out until end of March...:)