Sea Sickness

So getting ready for rhapsody of the seas on the 11th.

Getting a little concerned about sea sickness. We have cruised once before in the Caribbean but I believe the ocean just off Sydney can be a little rough. We have two sea days first up, and don't want to spend them feeling ordinary.

I read that Bonine (meclizine) is the best remedy or preferably preventative. But I am unable to buy this in Australia.

Is it readily available on board?

I was hoping to take one each night as a preventative so hope to get some as soon as we board.

I was paranoid about sea sickness as I get car sick as a passenger (but never air sick), so took Avomine (which you can buy in Australia) the night before my first (and only) cruise and for the first couple of nights. I then stopped and didn't have any issues with sea sickness.

Usually you can buy in gift shop. Also if you go to the front desk they sometimes have some of this for free but they won't give you a box.

Suggestion: if you are on a roll call for a sailing maybe you can find someone in the roll call to bring you some and meet at sail away to get it and pay them.

Sent from my iPad

Getting a little concerned about sea sickness. We have cruised once before in the Caribbean but I believe the ocean just off Sydney can be a little rough. We have two sea days first up, and don't want to spend them feeling ordinary.

I read that Bonine (meclizine) is the best remedy or preferably preventative. But I am unable to buy this in Australia.

I was hoping to take one each night as a preventative so hope to get some as soon as we board.

As stated, there is a shop on deck six that has sea sickness tablets available.

We have found that the Rhapsody is a very smooth sailing ship as well.

I'm very prone to motion sickness, however I find the RCI ships to be quite stable. That said, I always medicate for the first day or two, just until I get my sea legs, and then from there on, I only medicate if the weather is very bad (you will usually be able to tell as they place "sick bags" strategically around the ship. I swear by travelcalm(original) which u can get in chemists here in Australia. I also visit my GP and get a prescription for Maxalon, which is an anti nausea medication that you take in case all else fails. I have had to use it maybe three times over 8 cruises, when the swell was huge, and I started to feel a bit green. It works wonders! If you have a good GP they will prescribe it to you as a JUST INCASE medication. It's also for my own piece of mind knowing that if I did get sick, I can fix it pretty quickly! Nothing worse than being ILL and no way to fix it! Have a mic cruise!

At our chemist, Travelcalm was available on the shelf, Avomine you had to ask the chemist for it because it is kept behind the counter because it is stronger and supposedly makes you drowsy. I took Avomine the night before the cruise and every night of the cruise and I never felt drowsy.

First cruise we did on Rhapsody, didnt take any seasickness tablets with us, and felt really queazy.

Learnt the second time, this time on Voyager of the Seas, took Travelcalm (strawberry flavour, chewable) with us. Only had to take it twice, once for going out of Sydney Heads and 2nd time, for coming back through the Heads. Dont know why we feel it there and yet we were perfectly fine in 13metre waves crossing from Melb to Hobart!!

Took Travelcalm with us again on Voyager again at the end of December, only had to take it 3 times ... again for going out and coming back in through the Heads and the 2nd time was when we were just sailing just ahead of TC Ian in the Pacific Island region. The swell wasnt that big but I think because of the high winds, it was causing some motion of the ship.

I like that particular Travelcalm as it works really fast and doesnt make you drowsy.

Another question,

Why can't we buy meclizine in Australia .???

Is it safe,?

Meclizine is perfectly safe.USA and Australia have different laws regarding regarding the sale of over the counter lines.Meclizine could be sold in Australia but more than likely only as a prescription line . Most pharmaceutical companies would not find that commercially viable. It is perfectly legal to bring into the country as long as it's not in commercial quantities.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Usually you can buy in gift shop. Also if you go to the front desk they sometimes have some of this for free but they won't give you a box.

Suggestion: if you are on a roll call for a sailing maybe you can find someone in the roll call to bring you some and meet at sail away to get it and pay them.

Sent from my iPad

I'm not sure what it is they give you at the Desk but it's not Bonine. It is a good idea to ask someone on the roll call to give you one until the shop opens though another good reason for a pre-sailaway drink in the Schooner Bar;). Bonine on the Rhapsody is on the counter (or on the shelf to the right of the counter) where they sell the grog which will open as soon as the ship sails.

Have a great cruise!

Cheers

Di

We have cruised with Rhapsody of the Seas a couple of times and you can get sea sickness tablets from the medical centre, they work really well. Otherwise we have also found travelcalm work well, mainly need them when you leave Sydney to go through the heads then it normally calms down.

We have cruised with Rhapsody of the Seas a couple of times and you can get sea sickness tablets from the medical centre, they work really well. Otherwise we have also found travelcalm work well, mainly need them when you leave Sydney to go through the heads then it normally calms down.

Yes you can always get the medication from the Medical Centre but it really is a lot simpler to take the medication before the ship sails, thereby avoiding any need to go there and/or making a mess on the stairs:eek:

Cheers

Di

At our chemist, Travelcalm was available on the shelf, Avomine you had to ask the chemist for it because it is kept behind the counter because it is stronger and supposedly makes you drowsy. I took Avomine the night before the cruise and every night of the cruise and I never felt drowsy.

That's what we'll be doing too so we avoid the drowsiness. We sail tomorrow and will take our first one tonight. I bought a 30 pack of Avomine from Chemist Warehouse for under $10.