so how many of you

MzMelissa26

Keeping hearing crap from friends and family saying how crazy you are to be taking a cruse after two infected ships in two weeks? I'm tired of hearing it and folks always trying to rain on your parade. I've been on five cruises and never had an issue and my friend has been on 20+

We haven't heard anything from friends and family yet, but I know what you mean. I look at it this way...my DH says that we're buffet people- we like variety. We have never been on a trip where we just go one place and do one thing, ever. We actually split our honeymoon into two totally different trips. Cruising is a great experience for us because we get to see and do so many different things and the cruiseline does the bulk of the work. Some people hate buffets. They are convinced that if they go to a buffet that all the people in front of them spit into the food, it's all dirty, and they're going to die from food poisoning. Those same people are scared to cruise and latch onto any media reports not to do it and question anyone that does. Go, enjoy yourself, and tell the worriers that you'll be fine and see them when you get back.

Any time that there is negative cruise news we have a few friends who say something to us. They haven't been on any though and don't understand either how awesome it is. We wash our hands often and knock on wood haven't ever gotten sick. Hopefully that trend continues.

Keeping hearing crap from friends and family saying how crazy you are to be taking a cruse after two infected ships in two weeks? I'm tired of hearing it and folks always trying to rain on your parade. I've been on five cruises and never had an issue and my friend has been on 20+

These same people drive an automobile everyday and ones GREATEST risk, on any cruise, is driving to the port or to the airport to fly to the port. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

I just remind them of the facts.....

Carnival operates roughly 22 ships on 1144 voyages in a years time. The last CDC reportable incident of norovirus on a Carnival ship was reported on the Glory in August of 2012.

There were 205 of 3652 passengers that were affected. Bad for them for sure, but in the grand scheme of things this is a non-issue.

In the past 5 years Carnival has had only 4 reportable incidents of Norovirus.

Glory 8/2012

Glory 10/2010

Liberty 4/2009

Holiday 1/2008

4 voyages affected out of 5000+ sailings...........

I think I'll take my chances.....

This is the CDC website that I got this information from:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2014

Edited by okgirl

So many haters ... :mad:

Just got back from a cruise a few weeks ago and people from work post these stupid links on other cruise lines that had the norovirus out break on my Facebook page :rolleyes:

Of course at work everyone tells me they can't wait to see my cruise pictures on Facebook :eek:

Not only the "You're going on a cruise after what happened with the people getting sick" but "You're going on a Carnival cruise after what happend to "all" of their ships". Hmm...I don't remember too much happening to "all" of their ships.

I just tell them that as far as getting sick, I could stay at home and get sick. The Triumph incident wouldn't be any different than going camping which we like to do. We've roughed it many times and had fun doing it. The worst part on that cruise would have been listening to the fellow cruisers complain.

I'm starting to think some people will say "how could you..." To any trip I take. All week I have been getting flack about my upcoming cruise, which is six months away btw. But last year it was flack about my Disney World vacation, how could you go there with teenage kids? What will they do all week?

I just late the haters hate and enjoy my hard earned vacation! I'd give anything to be on RCCL EOS this week, I bet it's the cleanest ship afloat right now, haha.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the same thing can happen at land resorts, i also got the same reaction one time like you.. i just say if i was to worry about the really slim chance of getting sick on a vacation i would be living in a bubble and not go anywhere.

The ones that talk like this i find don't look past what is in front of them, no common sense or logic

QUOTE: So many haters ...

Why do you say this? I don't get it. Hate? A liitle strong, don't you think. People that don't cruise, just don't get it. That's all. :)

Edited by janetz

Do you stop sending your kids to school because there's a bug going around?? I think not. Norovirus can occur anywhere people gather. I've been on nearly 30 cruises and I've never encountered it. You can't live in a bubble and get the most out of life.

The media does a great job of sensationalizing things because it makes them lots of money. They do a better job of manufacturing news than they do of reporting it.

I don't hear it from my friends and family like you do. My friends and family are mostly envious and want to go too. In fact, a group of new friends just booked a late summer cruise with me. They are total cruise newbies and I am looking forward to introducing them to all the fun of cruising.

Sounds like you might need new friends. ;-)

All good points....I think they are just mad cause they ain't going lol. Not only that but one coworker even went so far as to say I shouldn't be going cause I had plantar fascia release surgery on both feet in December! Really? I think I know my body.... and I really just need to walk to the beach and find a chair lol. There's only ONE excursion I wanna do which is Little French Key... the rest of the time I can relax on any Beach

Any time that there is negative cruise news we have a few friends who say something to us. They haven't been on any though and don't understand either how awesome it is. We wash our hands often and knock on wood haven't ever gotten sick. Hopefully that trend continues.

Right there with 'ya.

I keep telling the naysayers that these things happen EVERYWHERE it just doesn't get the news coverage that cruise ships do! :/

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

I work in a salon and a couple clients already said it to me already , but for the most part not too many..There're too busy busting my beans about going to DisneyWorld every yr..Although who knows, this week new set of people, new set of comments,lol....New week of "so where you going in April"? Oh well, we look at it this way, we work hard , you need a vacation and everyone has their own way on how to spend it, whether its home or away. GIve me a ship anyday !!

Well, I haven't gotten the "you'll get sick" yet, but my last cruise was Jan 2012 and we woke up the day we were supposed to go to the airport to the reports of the Costa Concordia tragedy. You better believe that my phone did not stop going off with people calling/texting/posting to Facebook saying "Did you see that? Cruising is SO dangerous! ". No one once mentioned the plane I was waiting to board though!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I cruise a lot and only got really sick once. I thought I was the only one until we returned home and several others from our CC group came down with the same thing. I'm more concerned about getting sick from flights where the air is recirculated constantly and have come down with colds a few days afterwards. With good hygiene you can increase the odds that you won't be a victim.

No one tries to deter us from cruising. (They know it wouldn't work...) but I love the stats posted above that carnival has had 4 cases in 5000 sailings. Those sound like pretty darn good averages to me! Like others have pointed out, car crashes are much more likely, yet we all amble out to that big piece of tin and make our way to our destination, regardless of the risk.

I love cruising, have never had an experience that makes me feel otherwise. Short of some sort of Costa Concordia incident, I don't see any particular situation that would away me.

Thinking of something nice to say...nothing comes to mind. Sorry. Kindly remind them that while you would love to go on a vacation in which there is a guarantee that nothing unpleasant will EVER happen, unfortunately we live in a REAL world with REAL things. There are natural disasters, man-made mishaps, emergencies, sicknesses, and all sorts of things that happen both in our everyday lives and on vacation that we simply cannot control. If they were any kind of TRUE friends they would be POSITIVE and be either praying for you that nothing bad/terrible/unfortunate or unpleasant happens to you or at the very least giving you advice on how you can stay out of harms way. Probably mostly they're just JELLY!!! I bet you if you offered them a free ticket they would HOP to it. Just enjoy your cruise and stay positive.

Hey Melissa, I agree with you. Things like this happen but are not the norm. Besides, how many of these same people complain about driving a car with all the car accidents that happen daily?

Steve

Had this conversation yesterday. I responded the same way! I asked my sister if she was ever going to drive again? You have to keep living your life ;)