IAH to Galveston

Lou987

Hi! Myself and my husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise on the navigator of the seas on the 30th march 2014. I am looking for some advice on transport from IAH to Galveston the day before the cruise. I have looked into this and it appears to be very expensive. Is there any way of finding out if there are others going on the cruise that could share a shuttle with us? Can anyone recommend a reasonable car service just for 2?

Thank you! :)

Hi! Myself and my husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise on the navigator of the seas on the 30th march 2014. I am looking for some advice on transport from IAH to Galveston the day before the cruise. I have looked into this and it appears to be very expensive. Is there any way of finding out if there are others going on the cruise that could share a shuttle with us? Can anyone recommend a reasonable car service just for 2?

We rent a car at the airport and then drive down..park at the Lighthouse parking garage and they shuttle you to the port. We get there a day before and would feel stranded if we did have a car. Found it was about the same price as a shuttle. Just gotta look for some good deals on the car.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are flying to IAH a day before the cruise and taking a car service from an airport hotel (close to IAH) to Galveston. The cost for a family of four is about $300 plus tip for round trip service. Not cheap, but it will be private transportation to and from the cruise. Unfortunately, there is not a cheap way out of it as IAH is a ways from Galveston. :p

Have you checked out our roll call?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1632395

You can read about the group that is sailing with you; I am one!!! Please stop by and introduce yourself; and perhaps you could find someone that is willing to share costs with you.

We are flying to IAH a day before the cruise and taking a car service from an airport hotel (close to IAH) to Galveston. The cost for a family of four is about $300 plus tip for round trip service. Not cheap, but it will be private transportation to and from the cruise. Unfortunately, there is not a cheap way out of it as IAH is a ways from Galveston. :p

IAH is 71 miles from the port of Galveston. The limited access highway goes right through the very center of Houston which can mean delays depending on the time of day and no accidents. This is one of the biggest downsides to sailing out of Galveston.

IAH is 71 miles from the port of Galveston. The limited access highway goes right through the very center of Houston which can mean delays depending on the time of day and no accidents. This is one of the biggest downsides to sailing out of Galveston.

Loop 610 & Beltway 8 both go around the city.

What is "limited access"?

From the airport drivers have a choice of taking 45 South (I don't recommend) or 59 South to 45 south on the south side of Houston. This route has much less traffic.

Taking Beltway 8 (toll road) is a good option, but it does cost.

Loop 610 backs up at the connection to 45South and, being "in" the City, one might just as well stay on the highway.

I have driven both ways in a little over an hour to the island.

There is traffic everywhere at peak travel hours.

Loop 610 & Beltway 8 both go around the city.

Yes

But FROM AIRPORT

Do not use 45 North of Houston ...

to go south to Beltway 8

or to Loop 610

or to downtown.

1. From airport go to HW59... to 610 north loop....to the 610 east loop...

to 45 South on other side of downtown

2. From airport to hardy toll road...to 610 north loop... to east 610 loop

around near Houston...

to 45 South on other side of downtown

3. From airport to HW59... to beltway 8... to east Beltway 8 ....

around outer Houston...

to 45 South way on the other side of downtown

None of these will take you thru downtown Houston.

Beltway 8 and Hardy are toll roads

The only traffic depending on time like if rush hours

should be south of Beltway 8,

which is under construction with widening to 10 lanes to Nasa Rd One

and with new feeders.

BUT According to State of Texas Dept. of Transportation overseeing the construction: there will be always be 6 lanes open, 3 on each side,

between Beltway 8 and Galveston!

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies! I am looking into the option of hiring the car for the duration and parking near the port. I will also drop by and leave a message on the roll call, perhaps some others will be keen to share transportation. Thanks very much for all of your help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Without wishing to hi jack your thread, we are flying in the day before, staying in airport hotel then taking RCCL transfer to port....My question is...and I have posted previously and not managed to get reply, where can I purchase wine prior to transfer? Obviously no car available . Thanks

Without wishing to hi jack your thread, we are flying in the day before, staying in airport hotel then taking RCCL transfer to port....My question is...and I have posted previously and not managed to get reply, where can I purchase wine prior to transfer? Obviously no car available . Thanks

Well, you don't have a car, but you have access to taxis. Otherwise, if you're actually staying onsite at IAH, you can either try to find something in the duty free shops or you've got miles to go between you and your bottles.

Which airport? But I guess it doesn't really matter. You will have to walk a few miles if at the big airport (IAH) or take a cab. That's probably your best choice. There just isn't a whole lot to do near either airport. Hobby (HOU) is smaller and easier to get around. The area isn't the greatest but not bad. I wouldn't be walking down a side street late at night. And again, there aren't stores very near. You'd have to cab it.

I'm told the Old Strand Emporium has a decent selection of wine and is only a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal. Might be an option if you can drop off your luggage first, and then go pick up the wine. Remember though, in Texas wine cannot be purchased before noon on Sunday.

Last time we cruised out of Galveston, we just purchased duty free from our departure airport, carried it on the flight, took it to the hotel and brought it on the cruise the next day.