Can you skip the photo line?

alwaysfrantic

Ok so what some are saying it's ok to go around the line that is waiting for the photo/boarding line I understand passing the photographer when it's your turn but to by pass the line is rude.

Now when reboarding the ship in a port and the line is long because a someone cannot find there card its ok to just walk around them! (Rude)

So is it ok for me to cut in the lido line because I don't want bread or salad so I just by pass you and go to the meat station. (Rude)

Good Manners, you always wait your turn

Ok so what some are saying it's ok to go around the line that is waiting for the photo/boarding line I understand passing the photographer when it's your turn but to by pass the line is rude.

Now when reboarding the ship in a port and the line is long because a someone cannot find there card its ok to just walk around them! (Rude)

So is it ok for me to cut in the lido line because I don't want bread or salad so I just by pass you and go to the meat station. (Rude)

Actually, (and I don't know how it's set up on HAL, just on DCL where it is what I'm describing) if the buffet is set in STATIONS it is perfectly acceptable to move to the station you desire. You would of course wait in whatever line is at that station, but if there are separate stations, there is no need to go past the ones you don't want anything from.

I don't think it's rude at all to skip a line I'm neither required to be in or want to be in.

The line to board the ship or the line in the Lido for a certain station - those are lines I either want to be in or am required to be in. So I wait my turn, politely, for those.

Neither I, my DH or other family members have any interest in having our photos taken and will not wait in those lines.

If you are waiting with everyone else to board the ship - you wait your turn in line.

If you are in a line at the same food station - you wait your turn.

(Food is set up in different stations - salads are separate)

If you do not want your photo taken - you bypass the line.

Not difficult to understand, and good manners are maintained.

We just returned from the South America/Antarctica cruise, and the photographers were so nice. We just smiled and said "no thank you," and they never tried again to take our picture. Even in one port, one laughed and said something about our "hiding." We all had a good laugh.

Just be pleasant and tell them you are not interested. Years ago they were pushy, but not now--at least not on our trips.

When boarding last time there was a long line before crossing over to the ship for the photos. With priority boarding someone put us at the screen, picture snapped, and we boarded. (We said we didn't want a picture but they insisted)

So without priority boarding can we just skip the photo que (as you can on DCL) or will they make everyone wait in the line?

You are basically asking about two [completely] different Photo's. The FIRST is taken AS you check in and is important ID for checking on & Off the ship -The second is a photo REMEMBERANCE for your cruise -to BUY and take home IF you wish. The first is manditory the second a choice.

You are basically asking about two [completely] different Photo's. The FIRST is taken AS you check in and is important ID for checking on & Off the ship -The second is a photo REMEMBERANCE for your cruise -to BUY and take home IF you wish. The first is manditory the second a choice.

No, I wasn't.

My question was after getting to the top floor in the port----the ropes were set up straight ahead, set back a bit, with passengers queued for the remembrance photo. There was open space in front of the backdrop thing and the entrance to the ship was to the left of that. My question was do we need to wait in that queue for the picture then enter, or can we just cut left at the top of the stairs to walk onto the ship bypassing the queue to the right of the backdrop. On Disney you can wait or just pass by and enter. Is it the same on HAL.

This is completely a different picture than what is taken downstairs with the check in attendant that is attached to your card for security.

Really ticked me off on the NA, the photographer said we couldn't go until she looked at our cards. Such crap. She grabbed my card out of my hand and scanned it. I was very upset. Not once, not ever will I buy a photo from the ships photographers. I thought the heavy handed tactics of taking the sign and sail cards was beyond offensive. The photographers work for a concessionaire and have zero to do with the operations of the ship.

If this is the photogs new tactic of strong arming folks into getting a photo, I hope future cruisers say something loud and clear to the management. I have been on dozens of cruises, this is the first time my card was snatched out of my hand by a photog. I usually completely walk around behind th photo area. My husband was all concerned that it would look like I am jumping the line (which is crap, we all walk around them same photogs at port). Next cruise I am not stepping foot in that line.

This is very confusing. The photographer would have zero reason to look at, let alone scan your card, nor would they even have a scanner. The photos they take aren't even up for purchase until a couple hours after they are taken, and then you decide if you want to buy one after you view them, if you view them. There is no strong arming. I'm thinking that this was the person who was checking you onto the ship. The ship's photographers merely TAKE your picture, they don't get a commitment for you to buy it and no card scanning is required.

Maureen

No, I wasn't.

My question was after getting to the top floor in the port----the ropes were set up straight ahead, set back a bit, with passengers queued for the remembrance photo. There was open space in front of the backdrop thing and the entrance to the ship was to the left of that. My question was do we need to wait in that queue for the picture then enter, or can we just cut left at the top of the stairs to walk onto the ship bypassing the queue to the right of the backdrop. quote]

Yes, feel free to cut to the left bypassing the line for photos. We always do that.

No, I wasn't.

My question was after getting to the top floor in the port----the ropes were set up straight ahead, set back a bit, with passengers queued for the remembrance photo. There was open space in front of the backdrop thing and the entrance to the ship was to the left of that. My question was do we need to wait in that queue for the picture then enter, or can we just cut left at the top of the stairs to walk onto the ship bypassing the queue to the right of the backdrop. quote]

Yes, feel free to cut to the left bypassing the line for photos. We always do that.

I agree, you got your answer just do it.

I cleared a photographer's bottleneck by shouting, "Those that want their picture taken, stay left, those that don't, pass right!"
Good call. How did it work? Did you get applause?

Worked great, few wanted a photograph and all wanted out of the hot sunshine. No applause, I assume they thought the shout came from staff.

[quote name='jrzebird']This is very confusing. The photographer would have zero reason to look at, let alone scan your card, [COLOR="Red"]nor would they even have a scanner. [/COLOR] The photos they take aren't even up for purchase until a couple hours after they are taken, and then you decide if you want to buy one after you view them, if you view them. There is no strong arming. I'm thinking that this was the person who was checking you onto the ship. The ship's photographers merely TAKE your picture, they don't get a commitment for you to buy it and no card scanning is required. Maureen[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]^ ^ ^ Ditto ... I can't imagine a ship's photographer having access to a HAL scanner.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sun~']Really ticked me off on the NA, the photographer said we couldn't go until she looked at our cards. Such crap. She grabbed my card out of my hand and scanned it. I was very upset. Not once, not ever will I buy a photo from the ships photographers. I thought the heavy handed tactics of taking the sign and sail cards was beyond offensive. The photographers work for a concessionaire and have zero to do with the operations of the ship.

If this is the photogs new tactic of strong arming folks into getting a photo, I hope future cruisers say something loud and clear to the management. I have been on dozens of cruises, this is the first time my card was snatched out of my hand by a photog. I usually completely walk around behind th photo area. My husband was all concerned that it would look like I am jumping the line (which is crap, we all walk around them same photogs at port). Next cruise I am not stepping foot in that line.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Was this on a charter? No way would HAL allow a photographer (concessionaire) to have access to one of their scanners. Charters ... that might work differently. As I recall, you only sail HAL charters, correct?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Several times when the photographers interrupt dinner in the dining room I have called them over and discretely whispered, "No photographs, please. She's not my wife!" Most of them take a few seconds to get it, and the reaction is hilarious. (And Mrs Sopwith enjoys the laugh too.) ;)

[quote name='jrzebird']This is very confusing. The photographer would have zero reason to look at, let alone scan your card, nor would they even have a scanner. The photos they take aren't even up for purchase until a couple hours after they are taken, and then you decide if you want to buy one after you view them, if you view them. There is no strong arming. I'm thinking that this was the person who was checking you onto the ship. The ship's photographers merely TAKE your picture, they don't get a commitment for you to buy it and no card scanning is required.

Maureen[/quote]

I have been on many, many cruises with five different cruise lines. I am well aware of the normal process.

The photographer, in her black shirt/beige pants uniform snatched my card out of my hand. I told her in no uncertain terms NO PHOTOS. There were four of us passing. I was the at the front. After she grabbed my card, she scanned it on a small device on her table right by the backdrop.

I can only guess that they may be doing that now to keep the embarkation photos attached to cabin numbers. I wonder if they are doing this now to make it easier for them to find the photos when folks want to buy them.

I was furious that she took my card out of my hand. Next time, I am not being polite and waiting in line (only did it to please my hubby). I will go right behind the photogs back drops and go right through.

[quote name='Linda&Vern'][COLOR=blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Was this on a charter? No way would HAL allow a photographer (concessionaire) to have access to one of their scanners. Charters ... that might work differently. As I recall, you only sail HAL charters, correct?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

Correct. Also, the ship is sailing absolutely full at about 2500 (or more) passengers. There are also costume days where they set up in a few places to take more photos. The photogs probably sell a fair amount of photos this cruise. Many of the blues cruisers will never set foot on a regular snooze cruise and don't know our charter is treated quite differently. So not everyone knows to bypass this line if you don't want photos. Some will think it is mandatory.

I was very upset when she snatched my card out of my hand. Especially since we didn't get our photos taken. I am usually polite and just say "no thanks", but I did have to tell one fellow to bugger off a few times, he was very annoying.

[quote name='Sopwith']Several times when the photographers interrupt dinner in the dining room I have called them over and discretely whispered, "No photographs, please. She's not my wife!" Most of them take a few seconds to get it, and the reaction is hilarious. (And Mrs Sopwith enjoys the laugh too.) ;)[/QUOTE] Love!

[quote name='sun~']I have been on many, many cruises with five different cruise lines. I am well aware of the normal process.

The photographer, in her black shirt/beige pants uniform snatched my card out of my hand. I told her in no uncertain terms NO PHOTOS. There were four of us passing. I was the at the front. After she grabbed my card, she scanned it on a small device on her table right by the backdrop.

I can only guess that they may be doing that now to keep the embarkation photos attached to cabin numbers. I wonder if they are doing this now to make it easier for them to find the photos when folks want to buy them.

I was furious that she took my card out of my hand. Next time, I am not being polite and waiting in line (only did it to please my hubby). I will go right behind the photogs back drops and go right through.[/QUOTE]

So she didn't take your picture? Perhaps she was helping with the check into the ship. Did you have to give your card again at the top of the gangway? This really makes no sense at all to me. Perhaps as another said, they do it differently on a charter.

Oh, and I sort of resented the cruises I go on being called 'snooze cruise'. A cruise is what you make it and despite the fact I cruise Princess and HAL almost exclusively, I've never had a snooze cruise. Oh well, to each his or her own.

[quote name='jrzebird']So she didn't take your picture? Perhaps she was helping with the check into the ship. Did you have to give your card again at the top of the gangway? This really makes no sense at all to me. Perhaps as another said, they do it differently on a charter.

Oh, and I sort of resented the cruises I go on being called 'snooze cruise'. A cruise is what you make it and despite the fact I cruise Princess and HAL almost exclusively, I've never had a snooze cruise. Oh well, to each his or her own.[/quote]

Absolutely nothing to do with check in. It was the usual photo line up. As we tried to just walk past the backdrop (for those who may not know what this is, it is the large screen that photographers set up. It could be blank, coloured or even with a large photo of something on it. You can't miss it. It is about 8' high. They make everyone stand in front and take a picture). There was a small table that had some equipment on it. There was a small box type thing. She took my card out of my hand and pressed the card to the reader. She was a photog. No mistaking anything. Where I never go is the actual photographers booth on the ship. But like everything else on the ship, they use the sign and sail card to charge your purchases. So, yes, they do possess scanners.

As for snooze cruise, all blues cruisers call a regular cruise a snooze cruise. I am sure this isn't the only charter to use that term. Our cruise is much different than a regular cruise!