The merging of US Air and AA

lauren0309

I just bought cheap tickets to Vegas on US Air. I got my confirmation and locator number. When I tried to pick my seats I was told I have to go on the American Airlines website. I went on American website and they don't have my locator number therefore I can't book my seats through them either. I called US Air back and was told I have to wait awhile until I am assigned a new locater number through American Airlines. What confusion! I also asked when I get to the airport do I go to the US Air terminal or American Airlines terminal and the agent on the phone did not know.

I think its going to be an AA plane. The flight isn't until August 2nd so I have time yet but when I looked at seats, 3/4 of them are taken already.

Most likely 3/4 of the seats are not "taken" but many are blocked for frequent flyers.

Also, you should be able to tell now who is supposed to operate the flight. Airlines are required by law to tell you if the flight is operated by an airline other than the one you bought the ticket from.

Phone AA and ask for their record locator (not the US Airways one) - they should be able to give you one if you tell them your name and flight no. Then you can go to the AA.com site and pick your seats.

This is how I handle it when I buy BA flights on the AA website - hopefully it will work with US Airways too.

Phone AA and ask for their record locator (not the US Airways one) - .

You may need your ticket number. Your actual ticket number will be something like 12 or 13 digits long and should be found somewhere on your confirmation. Sometimes you can log in with your actual ticket number. If not, you can give your ticket number to AA and they can hopefully provide you with a 6 digit AA locator number.

Where does your flight depart from and connect? That will provide a big hint as to whether it's operated by US or AA.

I have flyer miles on both AA and USAirways. I was hoping that when USAir moves to Oneworld April 1 that the accounts would merge and AA rules would apply. I wanted to book a one-way award from Miami to Copenhagen. According to USAirways, the accounts are not merging until possibly 2015.

I still cannot book one-way fares on USAirways. I did book award travel from Miami to Copenhagen with 60K miles, since it was the lowest rate.

You've phoned US twice, but haven't yet phoned AA (just checked their Web site)? I'd call AA now. They should be able to find your reservation by your name.

I used UA ff miles to book a US flight PHX-SEA in March, and while UA said get the seats later, I just called US, got my US confirmation #, and seat assignment on the phone. Same process last October when I used Delta miles for a fight operated by Alaska Airlines.

Edited by Fattony

I just bought cheap tickets to Vegas on US Air. I got my confirmation and locator number. When I tried to pick my seats I was told I have to go on the American Airlines website. I went on American website and they don't have my locator number therefore I can't book my seats through them either. I called US Air back and was told I have to wait awhile until I am assigned a new locater number through American Airlines. What confusion! I also asked when I get to the airport do I go to the US Air terminal or American Airlines terminal and the agent on the phone did not know.

Good News! I finally got an email confirmation from American Airlines with a new locator number. So now my reservation is on American Airlines and no longer on US Airways. At least I know what plane I'm flying on now and was able to select my seats!