Best NCL Excursion for St John?

hockeygirl14

Hi all!

We're sailing on the Getaway 2/15 and we're looking to go to St. John on our St. Thomas day - we've been multiple times and want something different to do since we're repeating the same itinerary we did last time just to try out the new ship!

We're looking for something fairly inexpensive (probably $40-$60 range) and something that includes an island tour. I haven't been able to find too much info. If we can't find something for St. John we'll head over to Sapphire beach for the day. We would prefer to go through the ship and not an outside operator (grandmothers preference and she's paying).

Thanks in advance!

I'll second the eco hike. Our beach time has usually been longer than 30 minutes. The hike is reasonably easy as long as you can walk on uneven surfaces. You have to be careful on the trail down to the beach but it is not all that different from trails I've been on in various parks. There is a flight of steps at the beginning of the trail. Otherwise it is firm and generally flat until you head down to the beach. After the beach you do walk up a dirt road before going through a resort and viewing the ruins of a sugar mill then catching an open air safari bus back to the St. John's pier. (We had someone on this excursion one year who had real difficulties with much of the hike and required significant assistance getting down to the beach. She also slowed all of us down and we nearly were left by the ferry to return to St. Thomas until they realized the 12 - 14 of us were missing.)

We also did the eco-hike and this was after my hip was replaced. Easy walk but it can be a little slippery as it had rained the day before. Honeymoon beach was lovely, enough time to enjoy.

Don't forget the bug spray! Needed more for the walk after Honeymoon beach than the actual hike. I would recommend this tour, we did it thru Princess but they are exactly the same. :)

Hate to be negative but don't do the "St John Island Tour" ($69). It is a long boring drive around the island. You get some nice views of beaches but that is about it. No beach time, no shopping except one 15 minute stop at a bar/shop and the whole time hearing about land "that was once, owned, by a man, who went, by the name, of Mr. Nelson Rockefeller".

We heard that so many times we still joke about it. This glass was once, owned, by a man, etc. :D

Hate to be negative but don't do the "St John Island Tour" ($69). It is a long boring drive around the island. You get some nice views of beaches but that is about it. No beach time, no shopping except one 15 minute stop at a bar/shop and the whole time hearing about land "that was once, owned, by a man, who went, by the name, of Mr. Nelson Rockefeller".

We heard that so many times we still joke about it. This glass was once, owned, by a man, etc. :D

This is often the case with city tours, but if nothing else, it gives you a feel for the island and works well for those who are not terribly mobile. Maybe your problem was being reminded the Rockefellers used to own the land. lol

Edited by newmexicoNita

Hi all!

We're sailing on the Getaway 2/15 and we're looking to go to St. John on our St. Thomas day - we've been multiple times and want something different to do since we're repeating the same itinerary we did last time just to try out the new ship!

We're looking for something fairly inexpensive (probably $40-$60 range) and something that includes an island tour. I haven't been able to find too much info. If we can't find something for St. John we'll head over to Sapphire beach for the day. We would prefer to go through the ship and not an outside operator (grandmothers preference and she's paying).

Thanks in advance!

we are on the same sailing...we were going to hit sapphire beach alco,but there have been changes there...no dive shop no chair rentals...thought about emerald beach,but wife doesn't want to see planes...maybe secret harbor..we have also done the st john excursions in the past that we are interested in:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are signed up to do the Jeep Safari tour, which I've heard good things about. We have 4 people though, so we'll be getting our own jeep. Some people complained that when there is only a party of 2, they get stuck with strangers possibly driving. Lol

we are on the same sailing...we were going to hit sapphire beach alco,but there have been changes there...no dive shop no chair rentals...thought about emerald beach,but wife doesn't want to see planes...maybe secret harbor..we have also done the st john excursions in the past that we are interested in:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm surprised to hear about Sapphire beach, yes, it was getting shabby but still had chairs, drinks & decent snorkeling. We might have to re-think Oct. Getting a little tired of Emerald beach.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

We're interested in St. John's as well, just not sure I want to spend the travel time to and from the ship, but I don't know how long the ride over take. Can anyone tell me?

hockeygirl, have you joined our roll call for Feb. 15?