OCD Planner's NAVIGATOR Post Dry Dock Pictorial Review

ace1zoe2

Is the solarium pool heated? We were on Celebrity Silhouette last year and were disappointed that the solarium pool was cold. One of the things we love about the Royal ships is heated solarium pool (doesn't have to be "hot" but warm is wonderful).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was not heated..yet if you jump in as I did..I was able to stay for a long time. It's wasnt cold.. my guess as a home in the ground pool owner is..temp 78

GREAT review & pictures. Was also on this sailing. We have never been on the first sailing out of drydock and hope some of the problems were due to that. There were plumbing problems many places around the ship. AFT on deck 7 had an issue in drydock with an old pipe bursting once they turned on a new pipe AFTER the new carpet was laid. Needless to say, mold was a problem for us in 7392--the smell and the presence since we have an allergy to it. they did put a blower in the hall and sprayed something that helped with the smell, but my eyes and stopped up nose every morning told me it was still there. We also had ADRIAN---what a love. He also got us a 3rd sit up chair and said they had taken the loungers out, which was ok with us. LOVE that the coffee tables are gone. we always need to put ours on the balcony as there are usually 3 people in the room.

I agree that disembarkation was a BIG cluster. WE did not self assist and had #1 tags and they sent us way too early. The elevator opened to a huge, long line of people and lots & lots of luggage. we went to the end of the line, which was out the door almost to the shuffleboard area. Fortunately a crew member walked by and sent us to forward doors where there weren't many people and we got out "fairly" fast. There was not as much luggage waiting in the terminal as I would have expected & we were some of the first off to claim luggage. They were not prepared for as many walk offs I don't think.

Yes, agree with some of this 100%. Several light bulbs ( more out then in) in the internet cafe were out, as in other parts of the ship. Paint peeling on our balcony and floors needed vacuuming badly in meeting rooms A & B. Pretty shocked by this. Never saw anyone cleaning elevator buttons as I just did on the Silhouette. They were very dirty on Navigator. The ship did seem understaffed.

Yet it's in our backyard..so we will go again..just know you are not sailing in a 4 or 5 star vessel..more like a Holiday Inn..maybe a bit better.. IMHO

as I said, have never been on an after drydock cruise and not sure what I was expecting, but was not expecting the dirty and need of being painted areas at all. To folks on RCCL for the first time, please DO NOT base all of RCCL on this cruise. I did ask about the stuff that was untouched and told that they focused on the things that needed to be done when no passengers were on board. I plan to go back on a ship inspection later and will be curious to see what else has been done to the untouched areas.

We did eat in SABOR and enjoyed it. I did write on my survey that they need to market it differently/better since they are sailing out of Texas and it is not TexMex food NOR is it the food that we hated in Rita's Cantina.

For those of you who purchase the drink packages. We overheard a conversation at one of the bars where someone was "sharing" their card with someone else & that person was told if this happened again they would take the card away and they would have to pay for all drinks. We asked the bartender in the lounge and he told us how they monitor the drinks gotten on the beverage cards (maybe on all cards for all I know) and there is a picture that comes up on the monitor of the person attached to the sea pass card. He said they will conviscate a seapass card if someone abuses the system. Not saying any of you would, just giving you a heads up.

Again, great review & pictures

GREAT review & pictures. Was also on this sailing. We have never been on the first sailing out of drydock and hope some of the problems were due to that. There were plumbing problems many places around the ship. AFT on deck 7 had an issue in drydock with an old pipe bursting once they turned on a new pipe AFTER the new carpet was laid. Needless to say, mold was a problem for us in 7392--the smell and the presence since we have an allergy to it. they did put a blower in the hall and sprayed something that helped with the smell, but my eyes and stopped up nose every morning told me it was still there. We also had ADRIAN---what a love. He also got us a 3rd sit up chair and said they had taken the loungers out, which was ok with us. LOVE that the coffee tables are gone. we always need to put ours on the balcony as there are usually 3 people in the room.

I agree that disembarkation was a BIG cluster. WE did not self assist and had #1 tags and they sent us way too early. The elevator opened to a huge, long line of people and lots & lots of luggage. we went to the end of the line, which was out the door almost to the shuffleboard area. Fortunately a crew member walked by and sent us to forward doors where there weren't many people and we got out "fairly" fast. There was not as much luggage waiting in the terminal as I would have expected & we were some of the first off to claim luggage. They were not prepared for as many walk offs I don't think.

as I said, have never been on an after drydock cruise and not sure what I was expecting, but was not expecting the dirty and need of being painted areas at all. To folks on RCCL for the first time, please DO NOT base all of RCCL on this cruise. I did ask about the stuff that was untouched and told that they focused on the things that needed to be done when no passengers were on board. I plan to go back on a ship inspection later and will be curious to see what else has been done to the untouched areas.

We did eat in SABOR and enjoyed it. I did write on my survey that they need to market it differently/better since they are sailing out of Texas and it is not TexMex food NOR is it the food that we hated in Rita's Cantina.

For those of you who purchase the drink packages. We overheard a conversation at one of the bars where someone was "sharing" their card with someone else & that person was told if this happened again they would take the card away and they would have to pay for all drinks. We asked the bartender in the lounge and he told us how they monitor the drinks gotten on the beverage cards (maybe on all cards for all I know) and there is a picture that comes up on the monitor of the person attached to the sea pass card. He said they will conviscate a seapass card if someone abuses the system. Not saying any of you would, just giving you a heads up.

Again, great review & pictures

I am really sorry for those of you who had to experience the plumbing problems. I guess we were lucky! Our friends did come across the public restroom problem on the last day & I guess I just assumed it just happened then as we hadn't heard anything about it.

I agree that there were WAY more walk offs than we've ever experienced. I guess because so many in TX, OK & surrounding states drive to port.

I also think that everyone wanted off the ship so bad that many who had checked bags were walking off with their carry-on or overnight bags which compounded the situation.

Our balcony could have used a coat of paint but that's not something that bothered me since I knew the outside got a paint job in dry dock. We've seen them on regular days touching up paint all over the ship so I kind of figured that they would continue on with the daily painting... I'm sure that's a never ending job.

We didn't try Sabor due to the (what I deemed) expensive cover charge for Tex Mex. I've read mixed reviews. Personally I think they will have a hard time making it work at that price while the ship is based in Texas. It may be a huge success in other markets. That's just my opinion.

Edited by ace1zoe2

I don't have much to compare to, but this felt too much like a shakedown cruise. I waited for drinks almost every time I ordered. The bars felt understaffed as did the windjammer cafe.

The function of things reminded me of a cheap beachside hotel. elevator buttons and sliding door sensors (or buttons) not working, lights not working, plumbing problems... It was pretty crazy.

I don't know if I'll book with RCL again.

This is to be expected right after dry-dock. They will iron all of these problems out you can rest assure. I wouldn't judge RCI on this one cruise. Besides, I am sure the cruise was cheap.

Yep the 55 a day is what she is looking at. Thank you for the info. I think she's going to talk me into it. :)

Jamie

I don't intend to be rude by correcting the previous poster as there are many options with similar names and it is easy to get confused. The Premium package is $55.00 per day. The Ultimate is $65.00 per day. I didn't want you and your friend to accidentally order the wrong package.

Previous poster, no disrespect intended!

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind removing all of the coffee tables? This is where I place my room service tray. Is it possible that there are new tables coming that have not yet arrived?

"Petel" Pete told me that they were removed from all cabins. He did not say anything about them being replaced. He was in for 3 weeks in December & I think he was on this cruise as well as the next two. He had a lot of "inside" info as he know most of the cruise very well from his many days onboard NOS.

Sorry don't think they will be replaced :(

This is to be expected right after dry-dock. They will iron all of these problems out you can rest assure. I wouldn't judge RCI on this one cruise. Besides, I am sure the cruise was cheap.

Nope. If I'd gotten beta tester pricing, I'd have expected beta tester conditions. Regular pricing. Sub par conditions.

I was on this cruise as well and unfortunately it was not cheap. It actually was significantly higher than both the 6 & 7 day cruises I have booked on the Navigator later this year. We enjoyed the cruise very much though despite the glitches so no buyers remorse for us. When we took our first cruise last year on the Triumph everyone said we would be wowed by the service. We weren't. This cruise however definitely provided "wow" service! :D

I was on this cruise as well and unfortunately it was not cheap. It actually was significantly higher than both the 6 & 7 day cruises I have booked on the Navigator later this year. We enjoyed the cruise very much though despite the glitches so no buyers remorse for us. When we took our first cruise last year on the Triumph everyone said we would be wowed by the service. We weren't. This cruise however definitely provided "wow" service! :D

The Monday before the cruise it was $199.00 for an inside. I booked the Saturday before and we had a promenade cabin for $279.00. Both prices were less than you normally see.

Edited by SULROSS

I don't intend to be rude by correcting the previous poster as there are many options with similar names and it is easy to get confused. The Premium package is $55.00 per day. The Ultimate is $65.00 per day. I didn't want you and your friend to accidentally order the wrong package.

Previous poster, no disrespect intended!

Thank you for the correction. So you know if the 55 a day includes White Russians or lava flows? Thank you

Jamie

Hi Cindy,

Thanks so much for the fabulous pics and your inside information! I am really enjoying your review and sincerely appreciate the time you are taking to share everything.

I'm wondering if Phil Anderson is hosting the Schooner piano bar on the Navigator? Don't suppose karaoke is in Two Poets- just hopeful now that the new smoking policy is in place :) Did you get a chance to try out the new Chops' menu?

thanks

Last week I was looking for a cruise - we only cruise out of Texas and I have been on the Magic 2 or 3 times (I don't even remember!). I read something about the virtual balconies and then found your OCD thread and then I became obsessed. I booked us on Navigator in May and we are super excited. It has been awhile since I actually became excited about a cruise - but I am now! After cruising on Carnival these past few years, I forgot all about RCI and how pretty the ships are. To us, the ports don't matter that much, as we have been just about everywhere the Texas boats go. This upcoming cruise we just plan on relaxing and enjoying the ship. Your pictures are amazing and made us decide to get the Ultimate Drink package so that we can spend lots of time in all those amazing bars.

Some questions about Navigator- if you please. What is Izumi? Are there specialty restaurants on board and if so, what kind and how much. I looked on RCI website and it doesn't look like Navigator has any. Is there an ice skating rink? Is the Sapphire one of the main dining rooms? The Sapphire is so gorgeous - before the cruise can you request assignment to a particular dining room? If so, how would I do that?

General questions about RCI - can you prepay your tips? Does RCI have personal vacation planners like Carnival? On the drink package, does that start as soon as you get on the boat - or do you have to wait until the boat is in open water? When I order the drink package, can I prepay? I like to prepay for as many things possible - no surprises at the end of the cruise!

Thanks again for a great report. I am really excited about our next cruise.

Hi Cindy,

Thanks so much for the fabulous pics and your inside information! I am really enjoying your review and sincerely appreciate the time you are taking to share everything.

I'm wondering if Phil Anderson is hosting the Schooner piano bar on the Navigator? Don't suppose karaoke is in Two Poets- just hopeful now that the new smoking policy is in place :) Did you get a chance to try out the new Chops' menu?

thanks

Phil Anderson is in the Schooner Bar playing his piano. He was on the four day cruise just completed