Carry on bag only?

dcergrl

We fly with carry on only. I get sun screen and bug repellent in individual foil packets. I buy waters and sodas in the port city and tape the cases together for the ship's porters. Every other liquid is in tsa size bottles.

It is possible to only have a carry on but do keep in mind that ATN does weigh carry on luggage.

You will get sun screen on the ship at a very reasonable price. Havent seen bug repellent.

Edited by Emdee

We fly with carry on only. I get sun screen and bug repellent in individual foil packets. I buy waters and sodas in the port city and tape the cases together for the ship's porters. Every other liquid is in tsa size bottles.

I dont understand why you would have to take water on board or sodas. Though its not Evian ( my preferred) PG includes a perfectly acceptable bottled water. Added to this if you have a preference for a particular soda you can request it. I have had my request fulfilled in the past - havent requested in recent years.

Further its not like your bags will go into the belly of the ship.... once you point them out before you enter the ship they are very discretely taken to your room.

We did it; pictures with packing list in my review, which is linked in my signature.

We did check our bags from LA to PPT because they are strict about the Carry on weight, and since were taking PGs bus to the the IC with everyone else on the plane, we figured we'd be waiting for bags to come off anyway. But with just a roller bag each, a back pack for me, and DHs very large camera bag, were able to carry on from BOS- LA and LA - BOS. I never felt I was missing anything, and we took the laundry service which was excellent and well worth it.

It's so much easier to manage with fewer and smaller bags. Do watch your weight though, the ATN folks weighed at the check in desk and we were a tick over, which is why we just checked them through.

Edited by Familygoboston

Actually, Family, when one reads your post its clear that is very hard to manage with carry ons on ATN. Not because one cannot manage but because ATN is ATN in terms of weighing carry ons and being very strict about weight and size.

Last February while waiting in line to check in an ATN employee came by with the mini scale and weighed each of our handbags.

My normal brand of sunscreen, Neutrogena comes in an 88 mil or 3 oz. bottle, fine for the TSA. I pack it in my ziplock bag all the time. A full one is plenty for one person, at least in my experience.

No reason to take water, and I've never once taken bug repellent. The only couple of times I've used it, I borrowed someone else's. Plus the local variety is reportedly very good.

I've always overpacked on the PG, but I've been packing less and less with each cruise. I'm currently musing whether I can get away with roll-aboards for our month-long trip to Asia. All tropical, like FP.

What is the weight restriction for your carry on bag?

What is the weight restriction for your purse?

I usually pack a ton in my carry on, because I put in all of my favourite things--just in case my luggage gets lost.

What is the weight restriction for your carry on bag?

What is the weight restriction for your purse?

I usually pack a ton in my carry on, because I put in all of my favourite things--just in case my luggage gets lost.

I would check ATN website.

I too carry one of each in my carry on as I am very nervous of losing bags. Fortunately this year we have a few days in Tahiti in case this happens. If you see me in a collection of mumus you will know this happened to me.

Good to know about the sunscreen. I was planning in buying at Carrefour, but if I forget or don't get enough it's good to know they have it in board at a reasonable price.

I was planning in bringing OFF towelettes, they take up almost no room,are very lightweight, and don't have to be in the 3-1-1 bag.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

• 1 month later...

I just read on the ATN site that the carry on weight limit is only 6.6 pounds!

The carry on bag that I usually bring is 4 pounds empty. If I want to bring some of my favourite things in there I will have to use a lighter bag. Didn't see the weight restriction for my purse.

My normal brand of sunscreen, Neutrogena comes in an 88 mil or 3 oz. bottle, fine for the TSA. I pack it in my ziplock bag all the time. A full one is plenty for one person, at least in my experience.

No reason to take water, and I've never once taken bug repellent. The only couple of times I've used it, I borrowed someone else's. Plus the local variety is reportedly very good.

I've always overpacked on the PG, but I've been packing less and less with each cruise. I'm currently musing whether I can get away with roll-aboards for our month-long trip to Asia. All tropical, like FP.

Wendy, you might want to check the advice for sun screen with your dermatologist, mine recommends 1 OZ for your body in a bathing suit, for EACH application. That means a 3 OZ bottle would only last me 3 days and only if I don't reapply a during the day after swimming or sweating. Most Pg cruises are sun intense (wearing bathing suits most days for most of the day) We brought several 3 OZ bottles in our carry on.

The big repellent comes in wipes, which is what I use, since it's rarely needed on a PG cruise. (Remember to pack the bug wipes in your bag when going ashore for excursions!)

I just read on the ATN site that the carry on weight limit is only 6.6 pounds!

The carry on bag that I usually bring is 4 pounds empty. If I want to bring some of my favourite things in there I will have to use a lighter bag. Didn't see the weight restriction for my purse.

Wow! I wonder if that's changed recently- I really recall it being much closer to 20-22 pounds. As Emdee says, for the LA to Tahiti leg and back, it really is easier to check a roll aboard (it will never come in under weight) Unless it gets left behind in LA, there is no where for it to get lost...there are no connections, and no where but the Faaa airport for it to go when it arrives. :D

Edited: Dunner I just looked it up and found this- it says 22 pounds which sounds more like what we experienced, but our roll a boards were around 24 or 25 so we checked.

https://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/traveldesk/baggage.asp#carryon

Edited by Familygoboston

• 2 weeks later...

Familygoboston-- Just went to the site you listed---thanks so much for directing me to it!! I'm not sure what site I was on where I saw 6.6 pounds???? !!! It sounded very strange to me and I have been trying to figure out how I was going to manage. What a relief. Thanks again, Mitch

Familygoboston-- Just went to the site you listed---thanks so much for directing me to it!! I'm not sure what site I was on where I saw 6.6 pounds???? !!! It sounded very strange to me and I have been trying to figure out how I was going to manage. What a relief. Thanks again, Mitch

Some carriers have a 14-15 pound carry on restriction, maybe you saw that but in Kilo's?

Wendy, you might want to check the advice for sun screen with your dermatologist, mine recommends 1 OZ for your body in a bathing suit, for EACH application. That means a 3 OZ bottle would only last me 3 days and only if I don't reapply a during the day after swimming or sweating. Most Pg cruises are sun intense (wearing bathing suits most days for most of the day) We brought several 3 OZ bottles in our carry on.

I'll bring a couple for sure. But what I do is cover up as much as possible, and stay in the shade. I do not sunbathe, and I wear a t-shirt (treated) when I'm swimming. Big hat, long sleeves, etc.

My skin can't take the tropical sun, no matter how good the sunscreen.

You were looking at the Air Tahiti site instead of the Air Tahiti Nui Site.

The former is the island hopper and the latter is the long-haul airline.

We also travel in carry ons. I have to say, ATN is making this cruise less and less of priority one.:eek: I really do not want to check my only bag at LAX given the regular arrests for stealing luggage by the luggage handlers. FP might have to wait for that future World Cruise.:eek::D

We also travel in carry ons. I have to say, ATN is making this cruise less and less of priority one.:eek: I really do not want to check my only bag at LAX given the regular arrests for stealing luggage by the luggage handlers. FP might have to wait for that future World Cruise.:eek::D

If you dont go.... it will be your loss.

IMO FP should be seen on a smaller ship with a more intimate relationship to the islands.

World cruises nowadays are Crystal, Holland and maybe ( not sure) Princess/Silversea. These larger ships will not have the same itinerary or ambiance.

If you dont go.... it will be your loss.

IMO FP should be seen on a smaller ship with a more intimate relationship to the islands.

World cruises nowadays are Crystal, Holland and maybe ( not sure) Princess/Silversea. These larger ships will not have the same itinerary or ambiance.

I agree about smaller is better. Actually we were considering Seabourn. 450 passengers and a better crew/pax ratio. But we realize that PG is more FP intensive than a ship just "passing through". :D