When to book?

TravelBugM

We are thinking of a Celebrity Caribbean cruise for either Christmas 2014 or winter 2015. When should we book? Now and take advantage of the 123 promotion? Or wait and hope for sales later in the year?

This would be our first ocean cruise, so would appreciate the advise of seasoned cruisers. Thank you.

We are thinking of a Celebrity Caribbean cruise for either Christmas 2014 or winter 2015. When should we book? Now and take advantage of the 123 promotion? Or wait and hope for sales later in the year?

This would be our first ocean cruise, so would appreciate the advise of seasoned cruisers. Thank you.

Why not book now? You get the promo and can cancel up until final payment at no loss.

IF - the price drops you can choose to take the lower price or keep the promo.

That seems like the safest play and let's you pick the better deal if one comes along.

Book now and watch for price drops, that way you get the cabin you want.

Book when the price is at a level you are comfortable with, whether it's now or six months down the road. Keep in mind, if you book with the 1-2-3 promo, if there is a price reduction, you'll probably have to give up some, or all the promo to get the lower price.

My other question is to do my own booking direct with Celebrity or to go through a cruise expert travel agent. I'm very much a do-it-yourself traveller, but wonder if a TA would be able to get me a better deal/more perks?

Thanks

My other question is to do my own booking direct with Celebrity or to go through a cruise expert travel agent. I'm very much a do-it-yourself traveller, but wonder if a TA would be able to get me a better deal/more perks?

Thanks

I use a good TA, as I get better perks than booking Direct with the Cruise Lines.

Take a look at the current prices for Christmas cruises. Really sky high. So how important is it to take the cruise? If you really, really want to go, bite the bullet and book now. Or hang on and hope for a big price break which might occur after final payment, if you can take it or leave it. We've done Christmas cruises the last five years, but there's no way I'm doing it this year at the today's prices.

You can get a 100% refund if you cancel before final payment is due. This applies for North American bookings.

Look for a TA who can get you some perks. (Against forum rules to discuss specific TA's, or I'd give you the name of mine.) Since this is your first cruise, they may also be helpful in answering questions that may come up. Later, book the cruise yourself and you can transfer the booking to a TA within 60 days. If you book your next cruise on board, you get perks from X like category upgrades and OBC and get to keep those after you transfer.

We are booked for 14 day Eclipse over Christmas / New Years 2014. Agree this is top dollar and many categories are sold out. We need to work around school schedules and have fewer choices - :( All in all - book when the deal is right - early December 2014 prices will likely drop but Holiday cruises could sell out. Decide what are your must haves and then shop around with some online and brick TAs. You have some time to get information.

If you are absolute about needing Christmas - then just enjoy the thought of your next Holiday season and don't think about the $$$.

If the cruise dates and cabin location are important book early! Deposits are fully refundable up until final payment.

For my 2014 Med cruise I booked the day the European itineraries were released in March 2013. The price was extremely hign w/o 123go. Since then there have been two price drops and 123 go. I was able to take advantage of all so far. Final payment is due in April.

TW

I booked for the Reflection 1 year before the mediteranean sailing. Two weeks later, the cabin dropped in price around $200 less. It said for new bookings only. I asked if I can get the lower rates and Celebrity refused. I then said to just refund my deposit and I would make a new booking. Agent said "it doesn't work that way" I called back three times, three different people, same response. I don't know if this was just on the Reflection, but above posters seemed to be able to get price drops, like what is easy to do on Princess. I am now totally confused with Celebrity policy.