Norway Fjord cruise

hellodho

Hello,

I am planning to go to a fjord cruise next summer. Two cruises (Infinity & Constellation) are very similar except Infinity goes to Molde while Connie does not. The Infinity one is 12-night while the other one is 10-night. The price difference is around $700 total. Part of the itinerary for Infinity is Olden, Molde, alesund while Connie's is Olden, Alesund. Which one is better? Thank you very much.

Congratulations on your choice - you'll have a wondeful time. We've done these cruises to Norway 4 times now because they are such a great experience.

Both itineraries are very similar , so one thing to consider is the price - a difference of 700$ will pay for a lot of drinks and other extras.

The second thing I'd look at is the flight - it depends a bit on where you start from. Harwich (Infinity)is more difficult to reach for most travellers than Amsterdam (Constellation) - so I'd advise you to look at flights and flight times/prices, too.

Another thing to consider is the fact that both London and Amsterdam are perfect cities to spend a few extra pre-cruise days.

Both ships are beautiful and well-maintained. We love the "Constellation" best, but "Infinity" comes a close second.

If you should consider a back-to-back cruise: "Infinity" does a cruise around the British Isles before or after the Fjords cruise - a very special experience, whereas "Connie" goes to the Baltics - still on our bucket list...

The last thing I'd like to mention is the fact that in the last two years the Norway cruises out of Harwich quite often were heavily discounted if you can wait with your booking.

I've sailed both ships and they are equally nice IMO. The Infinity has Qsine, which I love. I don't know where you are coming from but I agree that Harwich is a bit far from the London airports. They speak very good English in Amsterdam, making it American friendly.

I think I would go by price. I would price each itinerary with transfers to the port and go from there.

If you are doing an outside cabin- pick one of the newer cabins on Deck 3. They are numbers 3112-3144 even numbers. These have really huge windows and the cabins were installed during the ships refit a couple years ago- meaning nicer bathrooms. Don't do a connecting cabin though- noisy.

We did the Norway last June. It was a beautiful cruise. Yes, get a balcony room there was always beautiful views. It does not matter which side of the ship. We were on the Connie. The Captain did "donuts" (his way of saying a 180) leaving ports at all the wonderful waterfalls. Our cruise had a lot of European aboard and the culture was different from ours. They did not dress up very much. Quess we have cruise for to many years. We have always showered and change clothes before dinner. We were lucky and our tablemates spoke English. That was the only thing that worry me when we boarded.

Have a wonderful cruise

Hello,

I am planning to go to a fjord cruise next summer. Two cruises (Infinity & Constellation) are very similar except Infinity goes to Molde while Connie does not. The Infinity one is 12-night while the other one is 10-night. The price difference is around $700 total. Part of the itinerary for Infinity is Olden, Molde, alesund while Connie's is Olden, Alesund. Which one is better? Thank you very much.

We are planning this cruise for 2016, would love to hear all about it! Doing Alaska this summer for our daughters 18th birthday. Our son wants the fjords for his 18th in 2016, so I will be following along this thread.

May I ask what makes the Fjords cruises so interesting? Can they be compared to an Alaskan cruise? (Sorry for the dumb sounding question, but that part of the world is unknown to me.)

Personally, we have sailed both itineraries and they are different. Alaska is about the wildlife as well as the scenery, whereas Norway is less wildlife but more scenery (waterfalls etc.). Now you could compare Norway to the New Zealand fjords, however, again, there is a difference as Norway is more palpable and NZ is more panoramic.

Additionally, each port in Norway is totally different from the next i.e. Molde is nothing like Geiranger; Alesund isn't like Bergen and so on. Scandinavia is a beautiful part of the world, so much so that we're returning again to Norway in the summer and including Iceland this time ;).

Add mee to the list who want this info. Thanks for posting!

For those who have done Norway and the Baltics, which did you prefer? Looking at both these options for our next long cruise after this fall's med cruise (most likely 2015).

We are considering Norwegian Fjords or the Baltic's, hubby really wants to see Russia, but from what I read it can be physically exhausting, while the Fjords would be more relaxing.

What are some thoughts on this from people who have cruised one or the other or both. Also what are pro's and con's on the two cruises.

For us the cruise would be 2016.

Hello,

Hi, I assume you are talking about 2014, as I don't think the summer 2015 Europe itineraries are out yet? If so I think you have the ships round the wrong way as it is Connie that does the twelve nights out of Amsterdam.

My view is, If you are going to Norway see as much as you can, and that will definitely be on Connie late June. I took that trip in 2012 and it was magical.

This what I posted after my trip, onto the 2013 equivalent roll call:

"Hi, having done the 2012 version of this cruise I hope the following will be of use even though the ports are in a different order and 2013 has Flam instead of Stavanger.

'Having taken this cruise in 2012, I thought a short review might be helpful. The review is written from the perspective of a traveller who pulled a muscle in his foot shortly before embarkation day, and was thus not able to undertake much walking!

We had Celebrity transfers so boarding at Amsterdam was painless. For those arriving by train the Cruise Terminal is an easy 10 minute walk from Centraal Station.

Stavanger.

The ship docks alongside the old city, an easy short walk brings you to the cathedral, museums, small street market, and the central park and lake.

Olden.

A small town with reasonably priced souvenir and clothes shops opposite the dock. Many people will of course do the ship’s tour to Briksdal Glacier which has a 2km walk from coach to Glacier, although there also options from local minibus and coach companies to buy tickets for a similar trip from the port. Alternatively a local company with road trains runs a tour of the local area up the fjord and back, or you can walk (to the right from the dock area).

Molde.

The ship docks very close to the town centre; of interest are the modern cathedral, town hall roof rose garden (entrance up steps at rear of town hall), various statues and the Romsdal Regional Open Air Museum which is walkable to BUT up a very steep route, so maybe a taxi going there. The museum opens at 11am for casual visits (ignore anyone who suggests earlier – they are wrong), and you should apply liberal amounts of anti mossie/midge preparations (similar biting midges to the Scottish ones).

Geiranger.

The only port with tenders to the shore. Useful to Google “Geirangerfijord Sightseeing” for further information. Pre bookable local trips are available online or from the tourist information office which is the large blue building on the right as you dock from the tenders. These trips include a 90 minute scenic cruise along the fjord, and a public bus trip to the summit of Mount Dalsnibba – if the bus company is contacted in advance it may be possible to arrange for a wheelchair friendly vehicle that day, certainly that was done specially for a couple on this years cruise.

Alesund.

The ship docks a short way (5-10 minute walk) from the city centre. If it’s Sunday nothing much happens until after 10am. The very fit can walk up the many steps to Mount Aksla, others may wish to take the sightseeing road train from the kiosk in Dronning Sonjas Plass alongside the Inner Marina, but be aware this is not a HOHO service just a round trip with a stop at the summit of Aksla. Other options include walking the city (not completely flat) or the bus from port to the Aquarium.

Skjolden.

A tiny village with an equally tiny pier. The ship does a complete turn on it’s axis in the fjord before docking. Apart from ships tours you can take a local bus at 1045am from the stop opposite the village information centre for a scenic ride along the fjord to the town of Gaupne (cost in 2012 was 90 krone return for the 2 off us) returning at 2.20pm. At Gaupne you will find a stave church (and note the many cruise ship coaches calling there) which is lovely once the coaches have gone, a waterfall and small town/shopping centre.

Bergen.

The ship docks within easy (5-10 minutes) walk of the city centre. The obvious sights of the Bryggen, fish market and the funicular railway up to Mount Floien are all there. If going on the funicular, head there first before all the coach parties get there. If using the HOHO bus get off at the first stop and walk to the funicular, rather than wait for the HOHO to tour round the sights as you can do that later! The HOHO can either be prebooked online (Google search as more than one company) or on the day as it starts from outside the cruise terminal.

Oslo.

The ship docks alongside Akerhuis Fort. With only one day to see OSLO the HOHO bus is a very good option. My personal opinion is to go straight to stop 9 – the Vigeland Sculpture Park – before all the tour coaches arrive – and then continue round as the mood takes you. Other notable stops are at/near the Cathedral, the Folk and Maritime Museums, and City Hall from where you can walk back to the ship if you wish (or carry on via the museums again).

In all the above ports we were greeted by local tourist information staff, provided with maps and advice etc.

Finally, the formal nights were on days 2, 7 and 11, although of course this could vary.

I hope some may have found this post useful and that you all enjoy this cruise as much as I did.

Doug.' "

Edited by harz99

I would do the Infinity out of Harwich--longer is better in my view. I did this cruise this spring--it was fabulous. You want as many ports as you can get, they're all interesting (and expensive--Norway is jaw-droppingly expensive). And if you can add on the British Isles cruise before or after, so much the better. Leverages the expensive airfare to get to Europe.

Someone mentioned waiting until the prices drop. I would select a regular balcony cabin (if that's what you want). We were able to upgrade from a regular balcony cabin to a corner FOV which was fabulous for the fjords.

My experience of the fjords in Norway is that they were narrower than the fjords in Alaska. We didn't see any wildlife (except for some seals) in Norway. I'd say the waterfalls are about equal.

As for which is better, Norway or a Baltic cruise, neither is better. They are different. It depends on what you want. They're both certainly worth doing.

I'd recommend you do some research on the ports of call boards as well as researching past and future roll calls.

Good luck with your decision!

May I ask what makes the Fjords cruises so interesting? Can they be compared to an Alaskan cruise? (Sorry for the dumb sounding question, but that part of the world is unknown to me.)

I have done the fjords and Alaska. I love Alaska! It's a great cruise and if you haven't done it-go! I did the Fjords because I was already in Europe and inexpensive cruise came available while I was there on the Celebrity Equinox. I had a wonderful time and Norway is beautiful. Do I think it is better than Alaska. No.

The fjords have some spectacular green scenery and I am not knocking it but from the east coast of the US, it's cheaper and easier to get to Seattle and sail out of there to Alaska.

So yes- I think you can have an equally spectacular cruise to Alaska.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain