Princess Secrets 2014!!!

lw4484

That can add up to lots of minutes.

It does and we have never used up even one of our minutes. Might be different on our cruise next week where we have 17 days and 7 of them at sea returning to the US.

FCC is Future Cruise Credit. You can ONLY purchase them while onboard. They cost $100 each and can be used as the full deposit for any future cruise instead of having to come up with the 20% or whatever the regular deposit is. They also give you OBC (On Board Credit) on the cruise you use them for. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. We have booked a 17 day Panama Canal transit and used our FCC to make the deposit. Consequently our entire deposit for this cruise is only the $200 we spent for the FCC and we are getting $250 ($125 each) in OBC for using the FCC. This is essentially completely free money for using the FCC. It's a great deal. :)

Since you are new to Princess you might also consider purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock (CCL). Because I own 100 shares of stock I will also be getting another $250 OBC on the 17 day cruise (again, the amount depends on the length of cruise with $250 per stateroom being the max). The stock isn't expensive and it does also pay $25 dividends regularly but the OBC is really the reason I hold the stock.

Exactly what we have done and continue to do on every cruise.

The CCL stock is a good investment on it's own, but we have enjoyed the Shareholder Benefit for years and consider it a "non-taxable" dividend in addition to the dividend that CCL pays.

One CrCr member wrote the following, above (and others agreed or re-stated the same information in other words):

"They come around the main deck at 3pm with trays of warm, fresh cookies and ice cold milk. Its pretty wonderful!"

We respect the above opinion ["wonderful"], but we do not share it. We believe that this service is performed with an ulterior motive. ALL cruise lines do everything that they possibly can to limit passengers' intake of the foods that cost them the most -- especially meat, fish, and desserts. The lines try to tempt guests to fill up on things that cost the lines the least -- in this case milk and cookies ... and they do it at 3PM -- to kill our appetites. (Remember when you were a kid, and your mom would not allow you to have a snack at 3PM, lest you "ruin your appetite for supper.")

When cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite by persuading guests to snack on solids between meals, they hope to do it by means of beverages -- especially carbonated beverages, which are notorious for fooling our brains into thinking that we are full and just cannot order much in the MDR (or cannot take much to eat in the buffet). Many people who fill up on beverages in the afternoon -- and then eat lightly at dinner -- tend to get frustratingly hungry after the MDR has closed.

Finally, when cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite via solid snacks nor via bubbly beverages, then they will try to fool guests into skipping dessert by filling them up with inexpensive pre-entree items. Examples are ... water (especially sparkling water, with its air bubbles filling up the stomach), salad, soup (VERY heavy), and bread (again full of air).

Of course, some people absolutely LOVE cookies, milk, salad, soup, and/or bread ... and they can just ignore what we have said above. If, however, you are a passenger who would like to eat the maximum amount of the most expensive, best-tasting [to the average person] foods on a ship, then you need to join us in avoiding, as much as possible, the aforementioned items that are designed to fill up our stomachs at the least possible cost to the cruise line.

Really? Are you serious or just cynical? As a Carnival Corp stockholder, I say let no good deed go unpunished. You might consider trying to have a good time and not worry about the small stuff.

Some tips on food for newbies, some previously mentioned, but all in one place:

1. Most of the food venues are free - exceptions are Sabatinis and Crown Grill or any other specialty restaurant.

2. International Cafe (IC) on ships that have them, most items are free. If Gelato is displayed, it is 1.50 for 3 scoops, a good price and tasty. I understand on the newer ships this price is more?

3. Pizza is really good IMHO and free. In the morning, fresh waffles are available where the pizza will be later in the day.

4. Cookies are really good. Different varieties will be at buffet. Warm ones served poolside in the afternoon and during the movies (MUTS). Popcorn, pizza, and blankets also available at MUTS.

5. If you like frozen drinks, and don't care if there is alcohol (yes some of us don't care) many nights the MDR will list a chilled soup which is more like a frozen drink. Served in a glass with a straw. Example - pineapple one is like a virgin pina colada.

6. Afternoon Tea - wouldn't miss. Not a Brit, so for some I'm sure the tea and scones are sub par, but for my tongue, it is bliss. Love the scones and clotted cream/jam. Also have pastries and little sandwiches. Not a ladies only event. Many guys have found this nice afternoon snack. I think it is at 3:30 - check patter.

7. If you want a banana split - order the Volcano in MDR for dessert.

8. You can go back to the MDR later in the evening and just get dessert - while it is still open.

9. One of the Dining Rooms is open during embarkation.

10. Some of the ships, on sail away, will have a seafood extravaganza - including crab legs and lobster claws - the first night. Check the patter or ask.

11. You can check what is on the menu for each evening by going to the dining room earlier in the day and looking on the wall outside the entrance. We do this when waiting for afternoon tea to open.

HTH (Hope this helps)

OK. Where do you go to get the cookies during MUTS? I know where to go to get popcorn, but cookies???

OK. Where do you go to get the cookies during MUTS? I know where to go to get popcorn, but cookies???

There have been a couple times where they have passed out cookies during MUTS. It was on the Emerald a few years back they passed out popcorn, cookies and milk and pizza. Talk about HEAVEN!!

It's the little things that make ya smile.:)

There have been a couple times where they have passed out cookies during MUTS. It was on the Emerald a few years back they passed out popcorn, cookies and milk and pizza. Talk about HEAVEN!!

It's the little things that make ya smile.:)

Interesting. Been to many movies in the evenings at MUTS. Never seen anybody passing out anything. Usually go to the soft ice cream counter to get popcorn before they run out.

We're just off the Island Princess, and they said that they are "trying out" the thing where if you've sailed with Princess before, you don't have to bring the life jacket to the muster drill (so basically as long as your key card isn't blue when they scan you).

Just off the Regal and nobody was required to bring their life jacket with them regardless if they sailed before or color of the key card. I saw maybe 3 or 4 people with them which was the option if you wanted to be shown how to properly put it on.

You can send free E-postcards, not regular E-mails. There is room for a brief message and you need, of course, to know what E-mail address the recipient has.

Thanks, I'm very glad to know about this--our grandkids will be delighted to get e-cards from our Nov. 11th Panama cruise!

Do you (or anyone else) know whether bottles of wine are also cheaper if one orders them on this form before boarding? We'll be on our first Princess cruise next month.:)

Just a note here, anything you pre-order on these forms is immediately charged to your credit card and not to you shipboard account on the first day.

At least this has been my experience. So if you pre-order 3 months in advance you pay now and not later.

Boy am I glad that I saw your comment! We are going to have quite a bit of OBC and had planned to use much of it by buying coffee cards, some wine, and several tours ahead of time. Thanks!

FCC is Future Cruise Credit. You can ONLY purchase them while onboard. They cost $100 each and can be used as the full deposit for any future cruise instead of having to come up with the 20% or whatever the regular deposit is. They also give you OBC (On Board Credit) on the cruise you use them for. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. We have booked a 17 day Panama Canal transit and used our FCC to make the deposit. Consequently our entire deposit for this cruise is only the $200 we spent for the FCC and we are getting $250 ($125 each) in OBC for using the FCC. This is essentially completely free money for using the FCC. It's a great deal. :)

Thanks for the explanation! Do you happen to know whether one can use OBC to purchase the Future Cruise Credit?

I'm sitting here at home. I don't need to have my life jacket with me. I don't even have to attend muster. I wish I was on a ship and don't care if I would have to drag the darn life jacket to muster with me...Don't sweat it if you are still required to take your life jacket with you to muster drill. There are far worse things.

I like your attitude!:D

The question was about bottled distilled water for a CPAP machine; but in either case both are fine.

Mike:)

I like that Princess will provide distilled water for CPAP machines for free. It beats the heck out of people having to deal with bringing it themselves or paying some crazy price for it onboard.