Which 1st Cruise: Magic, Triumph, Navigator of the Seas?

bakingem

If this is in the wrong forum, let me know, and I'll post in the correct one.

My husband and I are planning on taking out first cruise in August when we have a gap before starting a new jobs. We have twins that will be 17 months old and we are leaving them with grandparents for our first big baby-free vacation. We want to cruise from Galveston as we live in Texas. We would like to keep costs as low as possible because twins literally eat and poo a lot of our cash away. :p Our main goals are just to have a relaxing, stress-free time. We're up for drinking, meeting people, and having a good time, but not exactly in our beer-pong days anymore (32 & 29 when we would sail). We're up for whatever, so we'll probably want to try a lot of whatever is on board, both food and entertainment. As for excursions, we're more the snorkeling, adventure, stroll through a new place type, than a visit Mayan ruins crowd (scarred from a terrible tour from our honeymoon). That said, here are our options. I'd love feedback on what sounds like a good match from those who have cruised before, if Carnival or RCI has a lot of hidden fees to add to the advertised cost, what ports would be better, etc. Thank you from a very tired set of parents who desperately need a vacation!

Carnival Triumph - 5 nights, leaves Aug. 11. Ports: Progreso & Cozumel. Price on Travelocity for comparison purposes: $529

Carnival Magic - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayment; Cozumel. $829.

RCI Navigator of the Seas - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Coxen Hole, Roatan; Belize City, Belize; Cosumel, Mexico. $673

Any opinions on what might be best?

Personally, I would not choose any cruise with Jamaica as a port. I think if you read a lot of the threads here, you'll find that a lot of people agree with me. With that said, I'd always take a 7 day cruise over a shorter one.

My husband and I are planning on taking out first cruise in August when we have a gap before starting a new jobs. We have twins that will be 17 months old and we are leaving them with grandparents for our first big baby-free vacation. We want to cruise from Galveston as we live in Texas. We would like to keep costs as low as possible because twins literally eat and poo a lot of our cash away. :p Our main goals are just to have a relaxing, stress-free time. We're up for drinking, meeting people, and having a good time, but not exactly in our beer-pong days anymore (32 & 29 when we would sail). We're up for whatever, so we'll probably want to try a lot of whatever is on board, both food and entertainment. As for excursions, we're more the snorkeling, adventure, stroll through a new place type, than a visit Mayan ruins crowd (scarred from a terrible tour from our honeymoon). That said, here are our options. I'd love feedback on what sounds like a good match from those who have cruised before, if Carnival or RCI has a lot of hidden fees to add to the advertised cost, what ports would be better, etc. Thank you from a very tired set of parents who desperately need a vacation!

Carnival Triumph - 5 nights, leaves Aug. 11. Ports: Progreso & Cozumel. Price on Travelocity for comparison purposes: $529

Carnival Magic - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayment; Cozumel. $829.

RCI Navigator of the Seas - 7 nights, leaves Aug. 10. Ports: Coxen Hole, Roatan; Belize City, Belize; Cosumel, Mexico. $673

Navigator of the Seas would be my choice!

we've been on both carnival ships and all three iteneraries. additionally we're booked on navigator in april. five nights is too short and progresso is underwhelming. that said, the magic is absolutely beautiful. we were on it in november and ironically had the southern itenerary. like kitty, we were not impressed with jamaica but 4 yearsago we went on a ship sponsored zip line tour there right before our kids graduated high school and it was one of the most fun excursions ever. today we see jamaica as a great port to stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. all the rest of the ports you could visit have plenty to do.

We did the same itinerary for the Navigator 2 years ago on the Mariner. We love the Voyager class and really enjoyed Honduras and Belize. If you have the time, the 7 night would be a lot more relaxing than a 5 night. I enjoy Royal Caribbean and haven't tried Carnival, so I can't compare the ships. Price is always part of my decision. I am sure you will have a great cruise no matter what you choose. Best of luck with your decision.

Beth

I've toured both the Magic and the Triumph and have cruised the Navigator twice. When it comes to amenities, the beauty of the ship, and design, Magic and Triumph cannot compete with Navigator. Plus, Navigator just came out of drydock this week. She is sparkling new with a lot of new features, including the Flowrider.

Edited by Aquahound

The five-day cruise is a waste of baby sitter time.

A number of cruise lines are about to drop Jamaica over passenger safety concerns and Grand Cayman is a tender port that has a higher than normal rate of high winds making it unsafe to run the tenders (ie: no port stop).

The Navigator is the better ship with the better itinerary. The reef off Belize is second only to Australia's Great Barrier Reef for snorkel/dive quality.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the feedback; it was very helpful. We decided to go with one of the longer cruises and since Navigator was less expensive and we heard great feedback about it, we took the plunge and booked it. We're super excited to join the cruising world!

But have had various family members say after one Carnival cruise they probably wouldn't cruise them again.

I agree--always take at least 7 day if you can!!

Jamaica is fine--but it is the only port where I will ONLY take a shore excursion. Don't discount it because of a few naysayers.

All that being said I would take the Navigator cruise for a few reasons: 7 days, best price per day, RCCL is a generally considered a small step above Carnival in product.

SO--EXCELLENT choice!

Edited by KKB

I

I base my vacations on Price. that being said I would be sailing on the Navigator.

I do not see these prices (they are on the sailing at the end of August)

I see a 10.00 dollar difference between the Naviagator and Magic for the august 10th sailing

Naviagator cabin is 150 Sq Feet

Magic cabin is 185 Sq feet

Please note that August and Sept are prime time hurricane season. If there is a hurricane about your ports could be diverted so do not take a cruise based on the itineray.

I would not be taking the 5 day cruise-- its just not long enough

Edited by serene56

Thanks for all the feedback; it was very helpful. We decided to go with one of the longer cruises and since Navigator was less expensive and we heard great feedback about it, we took the plunge and booked it. We're super excited to join the cruising world!

Great choice for a first cruise. We sailed on two of Navigator's sisters and loved the ships!

We are booked on the Navigator on aug 24th.

Thru friends we are doing a visit to "french little key" in Roatan and charley chan cave tubing in Belize. Gonna hang out at money bar in cozumel for snorkling and such.

Heard thru a friend thst just got back that it was awesome.

Google those places.

Michael