More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Solita, thanks for clarifying about Playa Mia. They other website someone referred us to made it sound like it was pretty much gone. Glad things are moving along so quickly!

Also, thanks so much for taking the time to keep us up-to-date. I know you must have so much to do and so many more important things on your mind.

BTW, what is PI?

Jackie

Hello, everyone! I got an email from scuba shack yesterday, that the facilities at playa mia were gone and nachi cocom would be closed for almost two months! I'm getting mixed signals and confusion. I know that Coz needs us tourists. I just hope the vendors aren't playing things down to get our business.

Solita, thanks for clarifying about Playa Mia. They other website someone referred us to made it sound like it was pretty much gone. Glad things are moving along so quickly!

Also, thanks so much for taking the time to keep us up-to-date. I know you must have so much to do and so many more important things on your mind.

BTW, what is PI?

Jackie

Passion Island

Not intending to hijack the post, but... I just emailed Chellie this morning about diving with them on August 19 (we will be on the Conquest). Does anyone know what the odds are of them being available? Or do they fill up pretty far in advance. I know I may not hear from her for a few days because of power outages, but that only adds to my anxiety! There are just two of us diving, and I really have no excuse for not booking earlier. :)

Thanks

Solita, I don't know you but you sound like a wonderful person. I am glad you and your family are safe.

I will be arriving in Cozumel next Friday, do you expect Playa MIa to be up and running by that point?

Thanks in advance.

CRC_Cruiser,

I am not sure how fast they fill up, but I know they are popular on this board and others. We booked about a month ago (so would be about 6 weeks ahead of time) and did not have any trouble then. I would say to give them a couple more days and then email them....you have to mail your deposit to an address in Arkansas and then they book you...so you need some time for that. I am sure it will all work out!

Tanya

Just wanted to add my two cents before I grab the keys to a friend´s house and go crash in his a/c. The island is in super cleanup mode. Things will be back to normal in record time. If one beach doesn´t look quite right by the time you get here, walk on down to the next one! Cozumel is generally everyone´s favorite port and it will be a favorite on your next cruise as well. Even if you are coming next week.

While you are here, this is the trip where you want to indulge yourself. Although down time will be minimal, many families and businesses have gone without the income usually derived from tourist spending. So if there is something special you have denied yourself on every previous trip to Cozumel... this would be the time to buy.

Enjoy!

Like some of the other regulars who post on this board, I live on the island full-time. In my case, I write and maintain one of the larger websites on the subject of travelling to or living on Cozumel island. In this capacity my husband and I have spent the last several days trying to scope out the damage Emily caused and this report focuses on the kind of things that would effect one day visitors.

Here's what we found in our travels and what we also know from living here. This is all first hand information not hearsay repeated from reading it somewhere else.

The Punta Langosta downtown cruiseship pier mall with Charlos and Charlies and Senor Frog is up and running with electricity, food , drinks.

All downtown has electricity back and is merry and inviting. Be sure to stroll the waterfront and dont be afraid to wander back into town. It's very safe and people are extremely friendly.

The Puerta Maya Carnival Line cruiseship mall has a couple of collapsed palapas but I'm sure they'll have those cleared away soon so no problem.

Dzul Ha, Corona Beach and Palmar Beach Club probably won't have electricity for a week or so but the snorkeling is still great and I'd just go there anyway. They will find a way to open. I'll bet they're open already. (Will have to recheck this today and post).

Sadly, Chankannab National Park is going to be shut for about a month according to the caretaker we talked to at the front entrance.

Paradise Beach Club looks to be in splendid shape. When my husband and I stopped in there there were 30 guys clearing the place up, music was playing and they had cold beer. Looked very inviting.

Playa Mia looks like a bomb went off there. It won't be on anyone's shore excursion in the next few months.

Nachi Cocom had some damage but they are fixing it quickly and expect to be open for biz in a day or two. (The gates were closed when we went to check but we have since received an email from a friend of the owner to tell us all is well and the gate was just closed for security reasons.)

Mister Sanchos has some caved in palapas but expect that club to be functioning in 4 to 5 days again.

You will not be driving around the wild side of the island or down to Punta Sur. They are currently turning back all traffic about 8 miles before the end of the island.

I expect you can drive to the San Gervasio ruins by this time but the military will not allow you on the road on the far side of the island which took a lot of damage. So no visiting the beach shack bars over there for a couple of months.

Playa Azul north of downtown is in great shape and a good choice also.

Hope this helps and will try to drive out and check out Dzul Ha and Corona Beach to see if they have the chairs back up and also check on the status of San Gervasio.

Like some of the other regulars who post on this board, I live on the island full-time. In my case, I write and maintain one of the larger websites on the subject of travelling to or living on Cozumel island. In this capacity my husband and I have spent the last several days trying to scope out the damage Emily caused and this report focuses on the kind of things that would effect one day visitors.

Here's what we found in our travels and what we also know from living here. This is all first hand information not hearsay repeated from reading it somewhere else.

The Punta Langosta downtown cruiseship pier mall with Charlos and Charlies and Senor Frog is up and running with electricity, food , drinks.

All downtown has electricity back and is merry and inviting. Be sure to stroll the waterfront and dont be afraid to wander back into town. It's very safe and people are extremely friendly.

The Puerta Maya Carnival Line cruiseship mall has a couple of collapsed palapas but I'm sure they'll have those cleared away soon so no problem.

Dzul Ha, Corona Beach and Palmar Beach Club probably won't have electricity for a week or so but the snorkeling is still great and I'd just go there anyway. They will find a way to open. I'll bet they're open already. (Will have to recheck this today and post).

Sadly, Chankannab National Park is going to be shut for about a month according to the caretaker we talked to at the front entrance.

Paradise Beach Club looks to be in splendid shape. When my husband and I stopped in there there were 30 guys clearing the place up, music was playing and they had cold beer. Looked very inviting.

Playa Mia looks like a bomb went off there. It won't be on anyone's shore excursion in the next few months.

Nachi Cocom had some damage but they are fixing it quickly and expect to be open for biz in a day or two. (The gates were closed when we went to check but we have since received an email from a friend of the owner to tell us all is well and the gate was just closed for security reasons.)

Mister Sanchos has some caved in palapas but expect that club to be functioning in 4 to 5 days again.

You will not be driving around the wild side of the island or down to Punta Sur. They are currently turning back all traffic about 8 miles before the end of the island.

I expect you can drive to the San Gervasio ruins by this time but the military will not allow you on the road on the far side of the island which took a lot of damage. So no visiting the beach shack bars over there for a couple of months.

Playa Azul north of downtown is in great shape and a good choice also.

Hope this helps and will try to drive out and check out Dzul Ha and Corona Beach to see if they have the chairs back up and also check on the status of San Gervasio.

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel

Thanks so much for the first hand report. My group is heading there on August 2nd. We planned on going to the back side of the island because we had done the downtown and Chankanaab a bunch but now we will probably just hit the beach clubs. Thanks again. and if you have any new news, please post it.

Ricky

Thanks for the info Carey!! We will be in Cozumel Aug. 13th. This is my first time there so I'm not familar with the island. Is Coconuts on the wild side that you can't get to. I hope not, after everything I've read on this site I really wanted to go there for the view. Glad all of yall are ok.

You won't be able to visit Coconuts this trip since you're coming in only two weeks. Or any of the other beach clubs on the wild side either. But you never can tell. The guys theyhave working on this clean up are nothing short of amazing and got the entire city of San Miguel cleared of trees and with electricity for all in a record 3 days!

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel.com

Keep your eye on their website as I've noticed they've been having updates made daily. I would go ahead and e-mail them so that's it's waiting when they can go online. I'm sure Chellie will probably answer them in the order (or order of importance) that they come in.

I think your chances of getting in with ERD are very good. No worries.

Guest nhrich

Thanks for the updates Carey. Fortunately, it sounds like things didn't turn out to be as bad as I had feared.

Do you know how the dolphins made out at Chankanaab? Swimming with them definitely ranks at the top of any excursions that I've ever done.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Thanks for the updates! We will be arriving August 3rd and have looked forward to this port for many months. We had planned to do the ruins, drive aorund and visit one of the beaches - then do some shopping/drinking.

Sounds like we will be able to do most and see this beautiful isalnd.!!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThereseF

The papers are reporting Chankannab National Park will be closed for about a month and this was confirmed exactly by the guard my husband and I talked to on our reconnaissance mission a few days ago. This being the case, I can't imagine the dolphin encounters is going to be able to happen but perhaps someone who knows more than I do about this, another local, will chip in on this. I do know that the giant and impressive palapa entrance crashed down and that's going to take awhile to clean up before they could even get you in for the swim. On the other hand, there IS a little side entrance they use for handicapped folks so maybe it WILL work out now that I think on it. But it also depends on how the dolphin enclosure and the pier fared.

I am pretty sure the dolphins were well taken care of in plenty of time ahead so don't worry on that count. This particular "dolphinarium" has a good rep for that.

Carey, I have a question for you. Please don't think this is selfish because I have been to Cozumel and love the place and the people and am so glad that everyone is o.k.

I have a tour booked to Passion Island and have not heard or read anything about how it did during the storm. Do you or anyone else know...is this something we should cancel and maybe head over to PB?

Thanks!

Cruzin Buckeye---

Seems I have read a recent post (post Emily) that stated that PI did not have any more damage then the other beach clubs, and that clean up was in progress. Sorry, don't have the link! I know that people usually book there through the cruise lines, so maybe your cruiseline will have more specifics for you.

So glad Cozumel came through so well -- I was really worried when all the news was about Cancun and not much about the island -- it's a great tribute to the spirit and resourcefulness of the Coz community to bounce back so fast and well. Emily should be a distant memory when we get there in January but we're really looking forward to it. My group as been there twice on cruises and was unable to see very much of the island except the area right at the cruise dock -- in Janaury we're coming to spend a week on the island to have the time to visit and see all the sights.

Solita and Carey,

Thank you so much for the detailed updates. Like most, I have developed a love for your island, Cozumel. I was in tears over Emily coming through there but I am so happy to know that such great progress is being made in the clean up. Carey, I've really enjoyed your website.

I just read on Dolphin Discovery's web site that the Cozumel location was fully operational (as of July 20). It sure would be nice. Anyone with more info please share. I will be there in 2 weeks and have the Royal Dolphin swim scheduled and have been so looking forward to it.

Archived