More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Solita, Sally, Tom, Cary, et all

So glad to hear everyone is ok and all is going so well. I have not been on the port boards for about 18 months since I had nothing planned. I have been to Cozumel 2x and just booked a third cruise day there for the end of Nov.

My cabinmate this trip is into art and architecture. We will probably do some kind of city tour and San Gervaso this trip. She is not particularly a beach/water person. Did walk of DT/museum/shopping w/ hubby in 02, did Chanakaab park w/ DD in 04.

Will be checking this board regularly now to see how you all are doing.

Solita, when do you think Nachi will re-open? How is the pool and hot tub? We wanted to go sailing with Dan On the Cozumelmycozumel website, but I haven't heard back from Carey! So, Nachi was our second option. Are they ok? Thanks for all your help! I know things must be pretty hectic over there!

I am sorry, but the Scuba Shack is passing along incorrect information about Playa Mia. The company I work for owns Playa Mia. We are shooting for Aug. 1st reopening...waiting on the canvas to cover the palapa roof.

Yay, I'm so glad to hear that. We will be there on Aug 17 :)

This is an e-mail I got back from a couple I use for diving in Cozumel!!

Hello Dear friends.

Thank you very much to all for your thoughts and prayers. We did survived the hurricane Emily. The hurricane party is over and we and are back in business. Our house, boat and crew are safe and we will be very happy to have you on board soon.

After one week that Emily strike everything is back to normal but with a sad look on the landscape and some of the reefs.

The eye of Emily strike between Tulum and Akumal as a category 4 with winds of 150 miles per hour.

The eye pass about 40 miles from Cozumel island. We had strong winds Sunday 17th from 9 pm till 5 am and could not sleep at all. Emily came by at night and we never got to see her. Strong wind.............................

Most of the destruction was on the beach and the jungle of the Riviera Maya. All the all inclusive hotels where badly affected from Tulum to Playa.

In Cozumel the south part of the island was badly affected. We lost a lot of big trees, they where cut and twist in half. They look sad but all the small plants survived. We had another tropical wave storm this past week that brought a lot of rain, enough to clean the salt from the jungle, we hope it will recover very soon.

Hotel Ibero Star and Gran Occidental where affected and lost their piers, Reef Club, Fiesta Americana and Presidente are doing fine. Playa mia lost it big Palapa roof and NachiCocom, Palancar and San Fco beaches are ok.

Most of the beach restaurants in the south east where also affected as well as part of the road. This is good for the island because the government has authorized the construction of the new road. Some of the beach restaurants where very old and dirty and they lost their structures, now they have new ones and the beaches look very nice and clean.

All the boats of the island are safe and no damage at all. Nena did very well alone with all our friends in the marinas and ferries are running normal to the main land.

In town things are back to normal and the city has been clean, electricity was back yesterday and phone lines are working as well as cellular. The town is safe, no serious damage occurred, just lots of trees off and electrical lines down. The government has work hard and all the systems are working now. We have a good government this year.

The sad part of the hurricane is that some of our reefs are damage with lots of debris and sand is covering them.

We have been diving before and after the hurricane and the damage is in the shallow reefs, the wall as not so bad.

We need some good currents and some cleaning help from the divers community and divers around the world that visit us and love our reefs. We are doing some cleaning activities while diving and learning more about how to preserve the reefs.

We want to tell all our friends that due to the hurricane the phone and electricity systems in the state are not working normal so please if you do not her back from us send us another email or give us a call if you urge to contact us. If we are not home leave us a message and we will call you back.

We will appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Cristina, Luis and Nena crew wish you a good summer season. We love you.

Cristina Roman

www.divewithcristina.com

cristinaroman@prodigy.net.mx

Office: 987-872-6099

Cellular: 987-800-8849

It'll take a lot to keep me away! I'm on vacation and there's not a lot that can bother me. Walked around Key West in the rain, still had fun! I am curious though, about how many people are usually on a boat? This trip is a surprise 50th birthday present for my husband and it's so hard not to talk about the trip to him!

Solita, when do you think Nachi will re-open? How is the pool and hot tub? So, Nachi was our second option. Are they ok?

I haven't heard any offical word about them. It was really messed up a week ago... Will pass along info when I get it.

First of all, make sure you tell Chellie that it's your husband's birthday. She'll likely plan something a little special.

As for the number of people on the boat, since it's low season I would expect there to not be more than 8 on the boat. Even during high season they keep it to 12 or less.

Chankanaab is supposedbly closed for a month but dolphin discovery is open- we had a sea lion swim planned for 8/5 but are going to cancel and go to Paradise Beach for the day b/f hitting Cozumel minigolf!!!

Sally and Jim,

It is good to hear from you. We had heard from Tom and Solita enough to know they had made it through alright. Solita let us know that you, Sally, were alright but it is always good to have that confirmed by hearing directly from you. Jim, I was worried about you too. Thank you both so much for taking time out of your very, very busy schedule to write. I know you have so many other things on your minds and on your plates right now and to know that you are taking your time to write to us means a lot to me. I have spent many hours thinking of you both and wondering about you. You will still be in my thoughts and prayers as you work to recover from Emily and to get back to a normal routine. Best wishes and blessings to you.

I just saw this post and wanted to thank you for your concern. It is great to have friends.

Just curious how this beach club has been effected. Is it open yet? How is the beach? Serving food yet? Pool/swim up bar functioning??

thanks!!

Not yet open. No word on when it will be.

I just saw this post and wanted to thank you for your concern. It is great to have friends.

Jim,

You are very welcome.

I must tell you that I really appreciate all the translated updates you have been posting. I try to visit this board everyday...usually 2 or 3 times a day to see how the recovery of Cozumel is coming along.

What are my options after Hurricane Emily? I wanted to do a snorkeling trip. I usually prefer to do a boat trip because you can see more coral than beach snorkeling. I was considering Eagle Ray Divers but unable to get in touch with them since the Hurrican by email. Appreciate your help.

Archived