More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Part of an email I received from Playa Mia:

".......Thank you very much for your concern. Playa Mia received damage in areas of the park. The most significant was to our big Palapa (thatched roof building). This structure has been removed and we are replacing it with a different structure. We are scheduled to reopen to the public August 1st......"

We stayed in these two homes down by Playa Mia/Playa San Francisco two years ago. Does anyone know how Villa Dos and its owners Dave & Janie fared? I have been thinking of them a lot.

I don´t know about the villas, but the owners are fine. Dave has posted recently on other Cozumel specific forums.

Due to the closure of Nachi, and no response from Carey, we are going to snorkle the shallow reefs of villa, dzulha, pariso. Does anyone know how the reefs look? I heard there was some sand and trash?

Many parts of those reefs are a little deeper and they are fine. You should enjoy snokeling there. At Dzul-Ha, be sure to stop and say hello to Sherri at her PalMar Beach Club.

Any news on the damage to Chen Rio on the east side? Thanks!!

Ditto... though I understand it was wiped almost CLEAN... The water was washing WAY OVER the highway in places there, carrying even small boulders into the road...:eek:

Any first hand views from someone who has seen (what is left of) Chen Rio?

Hopefully it will be back in full swing this Thanksgiving!

Tom

Does anyone have an update on Chankanaab? We're booked for the Dolphin Swim on Monday (8/1) but we have a pretty large group so the ones that weren't doing the Dolphin Swim were going to have the rest of the park to wander around in.

Thanks,

Julie

Thanks to all for the detailed information, and I'm glad those of you who live there are all okay.

If anyone has a current update on the status of Passion Island I'd appreciate it. We will be there later next month.

Thanks so much.

Do any of you folks on Cozumel know of somewhere to send donations, where the money won't be eaten up by a bureaucracy? As I have enjoyed Cozumel so much, I would like to help out the people, but am tired of seeing 90% of my donations to certain groups (not in Cozumel, but here in California) go to overhead rather than helping the intended. Thanks for taking the time to update us on conditions.

Ron

Hi

I was away from computer..........OK I was on holiday in Spain and missed the updates on Cozzie and the storms.

I am coming over on Caribbean Princess next month and was hoping to hang out at Paradise Beach, (Tom do you need Marmite now?). How are things there hope the beach bar survived?

Let me know if you need anything!

bob.barrows@btinternet.com

Do any of you folks on Cozumel know of somewhere to send donations, where the money won't be eaten up by a bureaucracy? As I have enjoyed Cozumel so much, I would like to help out the people, but am tired of seeing 90% of my donations to certain groups (not in Cozumel, but here in California) go to overhead rather than helping the intended. Thanks for taking the time to update us on conditions.

Ron

We are making some efforts to set up Pay Pal for the Mexican Red Cross, who provides many free services,such as ambulances,to the island residents and guest. Also some of our members are into helping the Humane Society. Scout out some bulletin boards that are more Cozumel specific. This one is great for travel and tours, but doesn´t have the same local conversations as the others.

OUr Nachi All inclusive beach break for next week was cancelled due to Emily. As an alternate plan they offered a Shore Snorkeling Excursion off the chakanaab reefs. They boast a 2 hour all inclusive drinks and food, and a luxury beach lounge along w/ unlimited snorkeling.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Is this a rocky beach?

Please describe?

Thanks to all for the detailed information, and I'm glad those of you who live there are all okay.

If anyone has a current update on the status of Passion Island I'd appreciate it. We will be there later next month.

Thanks so much.

They restarted tours 2 days ago.

Just returned from a day in port at Cozumel. Let me offer an independent, first hand report of what I saw.

First, the town is doing remarkably well considering all that happened. I went scuba diving via Sand Dollar Sports and the reef we dove (near downtown, right off the beach) was in great shape. There was abundant fish life, and no trash in sight.

We then caught a cab to Paradise Beach. PB is up and running in full force. The baths and showers had running water, and all was well. The water was a little cloudy near the beach, but out near the end of the pier and the marking ropes, the snorkeling was fantastic. I even saw a stingray! There were some men disassembling a large palapa that had been destroyed, but other than that, it all appeared to be in great shape.

The jungle looks like it's been through a giant food processor. Very little green left in the skyline, but that should be back to normal in 3-4 months as the growing season never really stops.

Most of the merchants were open for business in the Puerta Maya complex, and I overheard several of the younger generation on the ship speaking of the LARGE TIME they had at Carlos and Charlies.

I can't wait to go back to see Cozumel in full steam!!!

Just off the Conquest. We did the segway tour to chakanaub park and then snorkeled there. Others were able to do the dolphin swim there. Most of the stores along the pier were opened. The snorkeling was great and so was the segway ride there. Many trees were still down (but out of the way) and there was broken pieces of coral washed up on the shorelines. The places I went to in Cozumel looks good so soon after a major hurricane.

Can anyone give me an update on the status of the beach club. A group of 20 of us are scheduled for a day there August 16. I really don't want to look elsewhere if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am on island today and meeting with the management of the Nachi Cocom to determine if indeed the club will be opening on the 15th of August as initially reported to us. If it appears the club will not be open, I will make a post here later this afternoon and we will personally contact all of our clients to advise them of this. To all who have plans to visit Nachi, your patience and understanding is appreciated, and we will keep you informed as best we can. We most certainly will know more today following my meeting and tour of the property.

Andrew

Archived