More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

The cleanup effort is going so well...hope you can't tell the difference by then. And I will put you on my calendar and try to swing out there to meet you this time. Was actually there the last time but the social host aka Tommy didn't introduce us or tell me you were there.

Shame on Tommy!.....Well, I will admit he was swamped in Feb when we were there......I'm not coming with a group this time so will stay longer.:D ...I'm a Building Contractor and "Tommy" (LOL IS THIS HIS NEW NAME?) wanted me to come to Coz and build his house.....Man I WISHED!...See you in Sept...(Hey!, that's a song!):D

The palapa at Mr. Sancho's fell down during the hurricane however it served as a sheild for the rest of the restaurant so the damage was minimal! Now after a bit of clean up, they have a "sun deck" with umbrellas and ready to serve the public! The beach is longer and fuller (thanks to Emily) and they have a generator for cold ice and beer arriving today!

sancho

Guest nhrich
I am pretty sure the dolphins were well taken care of in plenty of time ahead so don't worry on that count. This particular "dolphinarium" has a good rep for that.

Thanks. That was more my concern than the property itself (not to mean that I wasn't concerned for the property as well, but that can always be rebuilt).

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

The cleanup effort is going so well...hope you can't tell the difference by then. And I will put you on my calendar and try to swing out there to meet you this time. Was actually there the last time but the social host aka Tommy didn't introduce us or tell me you were there.

Tommy sure seems to get around. I think he was my waiter.

I was at Mezcalito's on Tues. they were serving cokes as the alcohol sales ban was still in effect. Their main damage was to the palapa roofs, all the palms were blown away but the main structure appeared fine. They were putting tarps up to shade the "patio" area and said they were going to start serving food on Wed. They felt like they would completely back to normal within 2 weeks. The cross island road is fine and you can make it out to Mezcalito's with no problem, you just can't go any further. Actually the beach at Mezcalito's looks better than ever, the hurricane washed away all the man-made garbage off the beach and left behind a shell collectors bonanza. Hopefully the rest of that side of the island will make a speedy recovery.

Not intending to hijack the post, but... I just emailed Chellie this morning about diving with them on August 19 (we will be on the Conquest). Does anyone know what the odds are of them being available? Or do they fill up pretty far in advance. I know I may not hear from her for a few days because of power outages, but that only adds to my anxiety! There are just two of us diving, and I really have no excuse for not booking earlier. :)

Thanks

I'd say pretty good. We booked with her for the 2 reef snorkel tour months in advance, then Carnival went and changed the port days on us. So about 4 weeks before we were to be Cozumel, she was able to switch the days and accommodate us. In fact, we had the whole boat to ourselves!

Roughly translated...

Barely elapsed 72 hours since hurricane "Emily" whipped the coasts of Cozumel causing a serious devastation of trees, knocking down posts of the Federal Commission of Electricity and destroying sports facilities; the main economic activity of the island revives itself, seeking to be recovered quickly after suffering the onslaughts of the phenomenon hidrometeorológico.

The solidarity shown by the inhabitants of the Island of Cozumel was fundamental so that in a matter of 72 hours the streets, avenues and parks of the ínsula are seen clean, as if to have passed absolutely nothing and can return to the routine activity.

The streets and avenues are found totally clean of trees and posts, permitting the adequate circulation of the vehicles and although the signals not yet function, in the main intersections where the circulation of vehicles becomes troubled, agents of traffic have been placed to direct it.

The tourist commercial activity of the ínsula is returning to normality in a gradual way, remaining only a few commerce that resulted with damages in the crystals, since the majority were not affected because they were protected adequately before the arrival of the hurricane "Emily".

The restaurants have opened their doors to public, the craftsmen have done their own thing and the tourists that arrive by cruisers and air flights, find a Cozumel without problems to offer them the attention and quality they seek, despite that barely four days ago we had a hurricane.

In this manner the image of Cozumel that is appreciated by the national and foreign visitors was not seen affected, since the step of the meteor did not cause damage to the tourist infrastructure.

queenteacher, you'll love them! We've known Chellie and Antonio and many of their crew for several years now and think the world of them. Raul is a great guide -- and a new daddy. And, of course, Chellie and Antonio are super people. Have fun!

We'll do a "rain-come-our-way-&-stay-away-from-Cozumel" dance for you! :-)

Solita, thanks for clarifying about Playa Mia. They other website someone referred us to made it sound like it was pretty much gone. Glad things are moving along so quickly!

Also, thanks so much for taking the time to keep us up-to-date. I know you must have so much to do and so many more important things on your mind.

BTW, what is PI?

Jackie

Talked to the guys again today...the canvas isn't here yet so they are shooting for next Monday not this coming up one. PI is short for Passion Island. Sorry for my shorthand!

Just got word that Nachi Cocom will not be open when I'm in Cozumel next week. I booked through Island Marketing Ltd, got this email today:

"Our initial reports from Cozumel following Hurricane Emily were very

encouraging. Our Nachi Cocom beach club Manager advised us that the damage was minor and they would be re-opening next week. Unfortunately, their engineers discovered a fault today in the structure that they were unaware of and now have to reassess the entire structure. As a result the beach club will remain closed until they can make the necessary repairs.

...I am sorry that you will not be able to enjoy our beach break."

Any recommendations to another similar beach club and contact info in possible....PLEASE

:eek: :eek:

joe

waiting on reply from dolphin Discovery- it seems like the places that will be open will be crowded- what suggestions for a beach for children ages 10,12,13 and food and drinks of course!!! will be there 8/5

Solita, I don't know you but you sound like a wonderful person. I am glad you and your family are safe.

I will be arriving in Cozumel next Friday, do you expect Playa MIa to be up and running by that point?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for the well wishes. I got word this morning that the canvas that was ordered to cover where the palapa roof used to be is going to be here Monday so the ships were notified that it will reopen Aug. 1st.

I got email saying dolphin discovery is open as of 7/20 but just read on another thread that Chankanaab was closed for a month- can anyone confirm- that would mean leaving right after swim!!

The park itself is still closed. Dolphin Discovery is up and running. As of this morning, there is no official word on when the debris will be clearing for reopening.

I have a tour booked to Passion Island and have not heard or read anything about how it did during the storm. Do you or anyone else know...is this something we should cancel and maybe head over to PB?

As of today, the only beach clubs that are open have been Paradise Beach and Mr. Sancho's. Passion Island suffered the loss of their palapa roof that covered the main restaurant and kitchen. I spoke to the operations manager there today and he is hoping to be simifunctional by the end of next week. If the tour is cancelled, your shore excursion manager will let you know and the ticket price will be automatically refunding to your ship account.

Hello, everyone! I got an email from scuba shack yesterday, that the facilities at playa mia were gone and nachi cocom would be closed for almost two months! I'm getting mixed signals and confusion. I know that Coz needs us tourists. I just hope the vendors aren't playing things down to get our business.

I am sorry, but the Scuba Shack is passing along incorrect information about Playa Mia. The company I work for owns Playa Mia. We are shooting for Aug. 1st reopening...waiting on the canvas to cover the palapa roof. I can tell you that Nachi Cocom was very ugly as of Monday morning but I do not know when their reopen date is slated for. We are not "playing things down to get (y)our business"...only stating the facts. Cozumel did get hit by a severe hurricane but survived. Yes, trees were knocked down and vegetation striped and palapa roofs shredded but no real structural damage.

The Puerta Maya Carnival Line cruiseship mall has a couple of collapsed palapas but I'm sure they'll have those cleared away soon so no problem.

Not exactly...the palapa roofs covering the taxi stand area collapsed as did some inside the shopping area palapas. And yes, they have them almost cleared up...maybe a couple more days. Most stores are open in the shopping area - 95% I would say. The only problem is...the whole place still does not have electricity as of this afternoon. Ships have been leaving by 8 local time due to no lights. The duty free mall on the pier itself is fine with no damage.

Both the United Nations and the Cruise Ship Association gave public recognitions to the Mayor of Cozumel and the Governor of Quintana Roo for their efforts in the preparations for, and subsequent clean up of the effects of Emily. They credited them for having no loss of life, and for the astounding speed at which things are returning to normal, considering last year some parts of Florida weren't re-established for 4 months, and most of the affected areas here have been fixed to 85% of their capacity. They have been able to rally the population around them, and together have worked very hard to bring Cozumel and the rest of the State back to normal operating levels to satisfy the demand from tourism during this peak time of the year, to these highly sought after destinations. Cozumel and Quintana Roo are showing the world the kind of commitment we have to please and satisfy our visitors, and will come out of this situation strengthened and fortified as an integral destination that offers visitors from all over the world a great selection of accomodations, activities and entertainment that are truly at world class standards. The public recognition made by the United Nations and the F.C.C.A. should re-afirm the need to support these efforts with visitors and to ensure that people that want to come visit here can easily find available avenues for doing so.

Archived