just signed up and have few questions

jascom

Better late than never.

Just signed up by all four of us.first time on Holland america.

looking forward to all the fun and meeting new people.

Regulaur cruisers we have few questions if you can help

Is there Muts on nieuw amsterdam?

Is there cigar lounge?

How do you find out about various drink packages to buy.

Any other info you can provide will be very much appreciated.

thank you.

Better late than never.

Just signed up by all four of us.first time on Holland america.

looking forward to all the fun and meeting new people.

Regulaur cruisers we have few questions if you can help

Is there Muts on nieuw amsterdam?

Is there cigar lounge?

How do you find out about various drink packages to buy.

Any other info you can provide will be very much appreciated.

thank you.

Welcome to the HAL board :D

There is no MUTS on this ship or any ship (at this time)

cigars - at the aft Lido after dinner - there is a nice spot with a bartender.

Beverage cards are available on the HAL website - some cruises offer beverage packages - best to check the website.

Let us know what other info you are interested in and we will try to help

thank you Kazu for words of welcome.I went on their website but no info on drink packages.Might be they dont sell them.

Do they check your checked luggage for drink bottles?

You are allowed to bring wine onboard - 1 "free" 750 ml bottle per passenger, any bottles over and above that incur an $18 corkage fee. You can bring as much pop/soda as you like. And if you put any liquor in your checked luggage they will find it and you will be hauled to the "naughty room".:D You will get it back on disembarkation. Sorry I don't know anything about drink packages - I always purchase beverage cards way before the cruise so they are paid off ahead of time.

You can also check out halfacts.com for pics and dining room info. Link in my signature - and Kazu above is one of the people who put the site together.:)

All your luggage is x-rayed as it boards the ship. You can usually check the drink packages that are available once you have booked your cruise. Check under your reservation, then select the green Purchase button, Accept, Indulgences tab, and then Beverages in the left hand list.

On some of it ships, HAL has in house movie theatres that are wonderful. They are usually interior rooms which are really dark. Big, comfy leather chairs that recline with lots of space between them. Free popcorn also. Be warned though - it is really easy to fall asleep during the movie.

If by "muts" you mean movies under the stars, then yes the Rotterdam and the Veendam both have outside movie screens on the Lido deck aft as part of the "Retreat". While I agree the Retreat "pool" leaves much to be desired, I enjoyed very much the movie screen on the Rotterdam during the many sea days on our Hawaii cruise. And yes, the Rotterdam (and Veendam) have inside movie theaters as well.

Yes -- there is a Drink Package -- from HAL's site:

"Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at a $7.00 or lower menu price. Up to 15 beverages per day. * Prices are per day; Signature Beverage Package for $44.95* per day, per person a 15% service charge is not included and will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. Up to a 15-drink maximum per day. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time. No sharing is permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, In-Room Dining, & beverages on Half Moon Cay. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers. Must be 21 years or older to purchase and agree not to give to minors."

All people over the age of 21 in the cabin must buy the package.

No premium alcohols and only house wines.

I remember once on the Eurodam when all seats in the theatre were taken and people kept piling in and bringing chairs from the Hudson Room. Every inch of space was taken up and you could not have left that room in a hurry during an emergency if your life depended on it.

This was pointed out to staff by several people but nothing was done to correct the situation. I was very uneasy during the movie. Fortunately it is the only time I have ever seen this done.

Edited by sapper1

How strict are they on nieuw amsterdam about enforcing dress code on formal nights.I dont mind dress shirt and slacks but hate tie and jacket.No offence to anyone.

I don't know about the NA, but on formal night on HAL ships you will need a jacket for the MDR. You can always opt to eat at the Lido, or Canaletto, or room service if you don't want to dress formally.

We will be on the Westerdam in May to Alaska, are movies shown on that ship and if so where? Cannot see a theater on the deck plans.

The Westerdam does not have a screening room.

When we have been on that ship -- sometimes movies were shown in the Queen's Lounge -- sometimes in the Hudson Room. It all depends on what is happening where. You will need to check the daily "On Location" program and the name of the movie, time and location.

There are fewer movie showings on the Westerdam because of her not having a dedicated screening room.