Help with cruise liner selection

Witchypoo89

My husband and I are taking an alaskan cruise and I've narrowed it down between Holland westerdam and norwegian pearl. I'm going to be 43 by the time we go and I'm a young 43. I listen to top 40 and love to dance and still get crazy sometimes. But I do like nice things and we will be getting a suite but I'm worried the mini suites on the pearl aren't really that nice and the holland suites look nice. But I'm worried it will be older folks on holland going to bed at 10 every night. And the pearl seems like its got way more to do on the ship. I know things will cost extra and I'm ok with that. I've done plenty of research on that end. I just really want to pick the right ship for us because we do like to be pampered and sleep comfortably at night. We were thinking of going for our actual 10 yr anniversary which is June 12 the but then I saw we could save 1k by going in mid May. So yes pack the sweaters but if we wait and go a few weeks later will the weather be better? Although I've read May and June are the dry months. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Also which side should we be on. I was also thinking aft would be cool. I know holland allows you to bring on some alcohol (a friend who went on westerdam in August 2013 told me that) does norwegian allow that? Thanks in advance

My husband and I are taking an alaskan cruise and I've narrowed it down between Holland westerdam and norwegian pearl. I'm going to be 43 by the time we go and I'm a young 43. I listen to top 40 and love to dance and still get crazy sometimes. But I do like nice things and we will be getting a suite but I'm worried the mini suites on the pearl aren't really that nice and the holland suites look nice. But I'm worried it will be older folks on holland going to bed at 10 every night. And the pearl seems like its got way more to do on the ship. I know things will cost extra and I'm ok with that. I've done plenty of research on that end. I just really want to pick the right ship for us because we do like to be pampered and sleep comfortably at night. We were thinking of going for our actual 10 yr anniversary which is June 12 the but then I saw we could save 1k by going in mid May. So yes pack the sweaters but if we wait and go a few weeks later will the weather be better? Although I've read May and June are the dry months. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Also which side should we be on. I was also thinking aft would be cool. I know holland allows you to bring on some alcohol (a friend who went on westerdam in August 2013 told me that) does norwegian allow that? Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic Witchypoo89. Love your CC handle I was a big HR Puffinstuff fan back in the day.

We love Holland America Line ships and started cruising with them in our mid-forties. The ships are elegant, the crew is first class.

I have never sailed with NCL nor do I plan to. In fact there is a thread on another board discussing

is NCL Really that Bad? which does not sound encouraging. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1985267

If you want to be pampered book the Westerdam. We have stayed in suites on Holland America ships and they are spacious and beautiful with very large balconies and lovely big bathrooms.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

We have cruise NCL 2 times to Alaska and they do a fantastic job. In fact we have a 3rd Alaska cruise with them booked now.

As for the age group. NCL will have a full range of ages. People used to associate Alaska with "older" folks, but that is not true any more.

Mini-Suites or Jr Suites are not suites and do not qualify for suite perks. If you chose NCL and want a suite you need to choose a cabin that is an S Category.

My hubby and I started sailing back in 2009 and love what NCL has to offer. That being said, it is not for everyone. Just I as do not feel other cruise lines are for me. Everyone is different in what makes their vacation special. The main difference in the 2 cruise lines will be their dinning. With Holland you will have a set dinner time for each night, with NCL you chose what time you eat. They will both have entertainment, activities etc.

When picking your cruise to Alaska, I would more worry about port times than which ship. Alaska is just different than most other destinations.

Our last cruise was on the Sun. One way from Vancouver to Whittier. Here is a link to my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867710

You can also check out the Alaska 2013 review thread. Just scroll down to the list and read the different reviews http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117&page=3

Hi...I've been on both HAL and NCL, as well as Princess and a few others. I just hit 50 (a young 50), and feel that NCL or Princess would be a better fit, given your age. HAL has beautiful ships and they feel elegant and evoke the spirit of the old days of ship travel...but they also have a much higher aged passengers than the other two. I feel that your experience on a cruise ship mirrors you mood before boarding the ship. Some seem to get on the ship in order to nitpick...I'm just thrilled to be on a ship, relaxing, and not having to do anything, unless I choose to. Enjoy!

For Alaska, I would pick my ship based on -

1 - round trip or 1 way

2 - itinerary

3 - itinerary

4 - port times - do you want to get into a port at 1:00 PM and depart at 11:00 PM or arrive at 7:00 AM and depart at 1:00 PM

5 - ship

DON

The main difference in the 2 cruise lines will be their dinning. With Holland you will have a set dinner time for each night, with NCL you chose what time you eat.

Holland does not only have fixed dining. They do also have anytime/flexible dining, whatever they call it. I haven't sailed HAL yet, but I've researched it enough to know this. Everyone seems to use the "Freestyle" dining excuse for the reason people should choose NCL, but these days, almost all ships offer something like this.

Demographics will be very similar on all ships in Alaska. I've been on both Carnival and Princess in AK and they were pretty much the same, lots of families, a wide range of ages. Plus, AK is port intensive, with lots of early mornings, so people don't tend to be up partying late into the night.