Helpful Hints for 1st time Suite Cruisers and general

deise17311

My sister and her family are going on their first cruise in 2 suites...I made a list for her and thought it might help others...some if it is just our opinion - we have experienced all of these things many times so please refrain from stating they do not or cannot happen:

Arrive by 11:30 to the port - suites have a special boarding area away from the general boarding

When you board, instead of going to the buffet for lunch (main dining room is closed) go to Bistro on 5 - there is a $5 charge but it's worth it and there will be no one there

You get 1 free specialty dinner for being in a suite so your butler can book or you can call ahead prior to boarding and Celebrity will book for you...I think the lawn club or Qsine are the best (try both as you have OBC)

Have your suite attendant or butler (different people) open the divider between the balcony...do not take no for an answer

On the San Juan port day tell your butler you will dine on your balcony and please deliver menus...it's beautiful to be served overlooking the lights of the city and he will serve you course by course

Remember you can order as much as you want even in the specialty restaurants...so you could actually say give us everything on the menu and they would say "our pleasure"...so don't hesitate to order multiple entrees to try new things!!

You get one free day (on port days) in the Persian garden (spa) for being in a suite...it's heated loungers and co-ed sauna and steam room...I think it may be adults only so maybe you could go alone and relax!

Always eat breakfast on your balcony (you order the night before, the butler will leave you little menus - write anything in and they will make for you) and he will serve you on white tablecloth...it's quite nice!!!!

At 4:00 PM the butler delivers pre-dinner appetizers (cheese/crackers, stuffed mushrooms etc) and comes with a tea cart where you choose cookies, pastries, sandwiches etc...(this is a suite only perk)

You can bring on 2 bottles of wine - if you bring to dining room, they charge a $25 cork fee (but the bottle can be used all week, it will follow you from restaurant to restaurant)

In St. Thomas and St Martin, take a taxi to the beach or walk to the beach and rent snorkel equipment for $5

The TV is interactive…you will see a keyboard and everything is on the tv computer (it’s made by apple so it will feel familiar)…it’s how you order room service, look at your accounts, pictures, order shore excursions etc…because you have a butler, he will make any changes you want or any ordering you want (food). There is a button on the phone for butler so you can call him 24/7

On formal nights you have reserved seating in the show (for suites) on the second level center - but you have to get there at least 10 min prior or they open it up to general seating

For all other shows go at least 20 min prior to get good seats…since it is your first cruise, i’d say got to all the shows!! Schedule your dinner around the shows…since you have select, you can go anytime!!

For select dining, they have a special suite line so you bypass any lines and go right to the front…

Even though you have the premium drink package (you can get anything non-alcoholic) the water ion the mini-bar is not free. Mom and I always got a few Evians and brought them back to the room…we had a problem because the suite attendant (not butler) thought we were drinking from the mini bar…the butler took care of it

You can only order 1 drink at a time with the drinks package

Cafe Al bacio is great for specialty coffees and teas which are free for you because of drinks package…the cookies etc are always free…

You get free cappuccinos in your suite - you have to write it on the breakfast order form - write in anything you want and the butler will bring it…I always got chocolate croissants

It’s really a huge 4 star hotel so they really want to please you - just ask and it will happen!!

Edited by deise17311

Arrive by 11:30 to the port - suites have a special boarding area away from the general boarding This depends on the port. Not all have the space.

Have your suite attendant or butler (different people) open the divider between the balcony...do not take no for an answer Sometimes no is the answer. Not all balcony dividers can be openned between all suites on all classes of ship. e.g. Not physically possible between PHs on M Class ships.

You get one free day (on port days) in the Persian garden (spa) for being in a suite...it's heated loungers and co-ed sauna and steam room...I think it may be adults only so maybe you could go alone and relax! I may be wrong but I believe that this is a Captain's Club perk rather than a suite perk. Sometimes suite guests may be given Elite perks but this depend on the ship/sailing/Hotel Director.

At 4:00 PM the butler delivers pre-dinner appetizers (cheese/crackers, stuffed mushrooms etc) and comes with a tea cart where you choose cookies, pastries, sandwiches etc...(this is a suite only perk) Afternoon tea should arrive before the canapes but the times are not fixed. Although you can ask for cheese & crackers, they will not be the default canapes.

Are you sure about your comment regarding the specialty restaurants? I haven't cruised on X yet, but my experience on most ships is that your limited to one entree at the specialty restaurants yet may order as much as you want from the other categories.

I have never seen a separate line for suite guests for select dine in the MDR. Two lines one for reservations and one without res.

Totally agree, have never seen this.

Stayed the last two years in a RS on the Summit and had select dining both times.

Line to the right was for those with reservations, line to the left was for those without. We never had a reservation.

We waited our turn to give our cabin# and like those in front of us on line (on the rare occasion there was one) were either immediately seated, or waited no more than 5 mins for a table.

We were in a Celebrity Suite on the Equinox, with select dining. We were on the same line as everyone else.

Also, you cannot order as many entrees as you wish in the specialty dining restaurants. You are, however, allowed to order as many appetizers and desserts as you would like.

We were in a Celebrity Suite on the Equinox, with select dining. We were on the same line as everyone else.

Also, you cannot order as many entrees as you wish in the specialty dining restaurants. You are, however, allowed to order as many appetizers and desserts as you would like.

You absolutely order as you wish, we have done it many times...suites use the reservation line even without a reservation...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have never seen a separate line for suite guests for select dine in the MDR. Two lines one for reservations and one without res.

Suites go in the reservation line even without a reservation...at least on reflection...

As I stated in the beginning of the thread...we experienced everything listed so just because another cruiser has not experienced it does not make it false...

And just because you experienced it does not make it true!

We have eaten in specialty dining many, many times and have been discouraged from ordering multiple entrees in Muranos, Normandie and Ocean Liners. Qsine & Tuscan Grille will give you multiple orders.

Are you sure about your comment regarding the specialty restaurants? I haven't cruised on X yet, but my experience on most ships is that your limited to one entree at the specialty restaurants yet may order as much as you want from the other categories.

DH and I have ordered more than one entree in Blu. I assume it's the same in the other specialty restaurants.

And just because you experienced it does not make it true!

We have eaten in specialty dining many, many times and have been discouraged from ordering multiple entrees in Muranos, Normandie and Ocean Liners. Qsine & Tuscan Grille will give you multiple orders.

You are right Janine and I am wrong...thanks for adding your insight, I'm sure it's helpful to new cruisers...

My sister and her family are going on their first cruise in 2 suites...I made a list for her and thought it might help others...

Arrive by 11:30 to the port - suites have a special boarding area away from the general boarding

Have your suite attendant or butler (different people) open the divider between the balcony...do not take no for an answer

Remember you can order as much as you want even in the specialty restaurants...so you could actually say give us everything on the menu and they would say "our pleasure"...so don't hesitate to order multiple entrees to try new things!!

At 4:00 PM the butler delivers pre-dinner appetizers (cheese/crackers, stuffed mushrooms etc) and comes with a tea cart where you choose cookies, pastries, sandwiches etc...(this is a suite only perk)

The TV is interactive… There is a button on the phone for butler so you can call him 24/7

For select dining, they have a special suite line so you bypass any lines and go right to the front…

Just a few comments: First, when we have been in a suite we haven't waited in a special waiting area "away from the general boarding." As a prior poster commented, possibly some ports offer this, but not one from which we have embarked.

Second, I agree that not all stateroom dividers can be opened on all ships.

Third, why would someone want to order multiple entrees in a restaurant such as Murano or Tuscan Grill? The portions are large, and very rich. Numerous posters through the years have indicated that they have been told no when trying to do so. I suppose I just don't understand an intentional attempt to waste food.

Fourth, our experience has been that the appetizers delivered are the same as the Aqua and Concierge staterooms receive.

Fifth, it is my understanding from talking to various butlers through the years that they do not work 24/7. They have times in which they are on duty, just as they have times in which they are off duty.

And finally, on the Celebrity ships on which we have sailed I also have never seen a special line in Select dining for suite passengers.

It is important to provide your family with realistic expectations as to what services they will receive in their suite stateroom.

Miami has a separate waiting area plus we also waited in Michaels club while our room was getting ready

It's not really a separate line for select...I I misspoke...we were told to go to the reservation line even without reservations...the hotel director told us this when he called to welcome us onboard

We are not pigs it was just a statement that one if the neat things about cruising is the ability to try multiply entrees..

Edited by deise17311

As well our butler told us to call 24/7 with anything we needed...we did not however do this...

To the poster about being entitled...you got it right...absolutely are we entitled paying thousands more than a balcony cabin...they have perks and we paid for them...

As usual, some helpful hints have ended with snide comments and arguments...Host Andy, can you remove this thread please...too many chiefs on CC these days for my taste..

I am saying this with kindness, which is sometimes hard to recognize on a message board.

The original message you posted included several statements that were not necessarily true for every ship, and you berated some posters who took you to task. When we post with a conversation with a confrontational tone, we receive it right back.

I think it's great that you want to share your experiences with your family and other new cruisers, but every ship is a bit different, and sometimes there are different policies depending on the Hotel Director and other staff. Most of us who post here are trying to be helpful ... we don't want to create expectations that will never be fulfilled - especially for new cruisers.

Just a few comments: First, when we have been in a suite we haven't waited in a special waiting area "away from the general boarding." As a prior poster commented, possibly some ports offer this, but not one from which we have embarked.

Second, I agree that not all stateroom dividers can be opened on all ships.

Third, why would someone want to order multiple entrees in a restaurant such as Murano or Tuscan Grill? The portions are large, and very rich. Numerous posters through the years have indicated that they have been told no when trying to do so. I suppose I just don't understand an intentional attempt to waste food.

Fourth, our experience has been that the appetizers delivered are the same as the Aqua and Concierge staterooms receive.

Fifth, it is my understanding from talking to various butlers through the years that they do not work 24/7. They have times in which they are on duty, just as they have times in which they are off duty.

And finally, on the Celebrity ships on which we have sailed I also have never seen a special line in Select dining for suite passengers.

It is important to provide your family with realistic expectations as to what services they will receive in their suite stateroom.

Everything you say is true. Having sailed many times in suites on Celebrity, we would never expect to request whatever we want and make unrealistic demands. There is a big difference in telling someone what you are going to do and not taking no for an answer and making a polite request for something special occasionally. I would hate to see new cruisers embarrassing themselves.

Feel free to order multiple entrees in specialty dining. Have had a companion order surf and turf for example on lobster night.

As to the coupons, suite guests often do get them, but its not 100% and not a guaranteed perk. They are given out at discretion of CC host and Hotel director, So if not Elite with X, should not elect the coupons, but be happy if they are there. free Persian garden usage would be via a coupon if the cabin gets them.

As to butler hours of course they will say 24/7. But I asked mine and he said he's basically on duty 6 am to 9pm. I think after hours they have someone else answer the calls and handle things.

Free specialty dining applies on 7 nights or greater (not not he shorter cruises such as on Connie - I point this out for future people looking at this thread knowing OP is taking about a Reflection cruise)

Opening balcony dividers, there are lots of cabins where it's physically not able to be done especially on M class. I think many more do open on S class, but there are certainly many that can not open.

I point out these nuances so people don't necessarily expect all these things to happen, but know that they often do and CAN happen.