Quantum and connection to the sea?

LMaxwell

I have to say one disappointment of my Allure cruise was lack of feeling of even being at sea. It is a VERY internally focused ship; there are not many night time events up on top decks and due to lifeboat regulations and I guess other space constraints the outdoor promenade offers a few peeks at the ocean. Will Quantum have this style, or any, of outdoor promenade or other good vantage points of the ocean? Well interior venues offer at least some view/connection to the sea like on smaller ships? I know on any ship you can see the ocean if you want to, but on some ships it is much more of a focal point than others.

Opinions, best guesses?

I don't see what you're talking about, the sea is everywhere we look. It does seem like the Quantum, with the Northstar, is going to allow you to see plenty of it. Perhaps you're going to have to be the judge, and report back.

FWIW, we have a balcony, so the sea is right there all the time.

I found Allure to be very inward facing. On Voyager class ships at least Schooner Bar and Cafe Promenade have sea views and the exterior promenade is wide and open. The gyms also have nice external views. Not so on Oasis class. Yes of course you can have an ocean view with an external balcony, but generally speaking there is less sea views on Oasis class than any other class and I am trying to get an idea of which direction Quantum is going and whether there will be an external promenade to view the ocean, etc.

Northstar seems like a pretty cool concept but due to the nature of it being an "attraction" will be closed or limited in use, no Viking Crown Lounge is another loss of great views. Not passing judgment, just asking as I know there are lot of enthusiasts on here with greater knowledge than myself.

My guess is that there will be greater focus on the sea on Quantum than on the Voyager-Freedom-Oasis class ships... if for no other reason than there couldn't be less focus on the seas than those existing classes. There's been talk all along of Quantum Class incorporating some "Radiance Plus" features, and we all know the Radiance Class is great in that regard, so I'm hoping greater connection to the sea will be part of the Radiance influence.

I have to say one disappointment of my Allure cruise was lack of feeling of even being at sea.

Hi LMaxwell you are VERY right. Cruising is all about the interaction with the sea and the passing land. Many mega-ships have become very inward focussed. In fact the only place that you often get a good sea view is from your Balcony as Cigar King points out.

I love RC's Royal Prom's but they do lack a sea view. At least Oasis's Royal prom has skylights (from central park above) letting in some natural light, yet no sea views.

That is where NCL's 'Waterfront' (Breakaway, Getaway and Breakaway+) is a nice feature. many of the dining options and some shops are on a quarter mile external Prom deck.

I don't think we need to worry about Quantum. I think the clue is in her code name "Project Sunshine".

The 'Radiance' class has tons of glass and sea views everywhere. Although Quantum is a brand new design, I believe she is a sort of updated version of ther "Radiance" class. I think we can expect lots of sea views and light. Two70 is not short of windows, is it!

However, I don't think we are going to get a proper Royal Prom but it may some daylight and sea-views?

One thing that does bother me is the restaurant/s. The biggest space left for a large restaurants is under Two70 and does not have any windows. There is talk of three dining rooms, but I don't know where they will be located?

image-1.jpg?w=450&h=307

Above: RC Movie Grab (deck 5). Is this Quantum's Royal Prom? It seems to have windows down each side.

(Source: RC Video/Malcolm Oliver Blog)

Edited by London-Calling

I really enjoyed Oasis and was more connected to the sea with my very forward deck 14 port side cabin, as I had direct access to the forward 'secret terrace' that wraps around in front of the solarium. I also frequented the aft 'secret balconies' on deck 11.

That said, while I have an aft JS again on my next sailing, I am looking forward to the aft 270* along with the aft Concierge Club and Conference Center that really connect indoor public areas with the sea.

A few of the outlets on deck 4 and 5 also seem to have some open areas to the sea, but no firm plans there yet.

I was on the NCL Getaway last month and they did a terrific job on this ship and I am hoping that Quantum will be even better.

is the restaurant/s. The biggest space left for a large restaurants is under Two70 and does not have any windows. There is talk of three dining rooms, but I don't know where they will be located?

Above: RC Movie Grab (deck 5). Is this Quantum's Royal Prom? It seems to have windows down each side.

Not sure of previous speculation as have not followed all the threads closely, but could not the galley be Deck 3/4 far aft also servicing 270 above and then could not mid-Aft on both deck 3 and deck 4 be main dining venue on each side, with windows all down the side of each?

This would create 4 separate dining zones.

...but could not the galley be Deck 3/4 far aft also servicing 270 above and then could not mid-Aft on both deck 3 and deck 4 be main dining venue on each side, with windows all down the side of each?

This would create 4 separate dining zones.

Very possible.

However if RC still have the traditional dining system with one big dining room and two sittings (with other smaller alternatives on offer) I'm not sure the deck 3/4 space looks big enough for 2,000+ passengers?

Maybe it is?

I have to say one disappointment of my Allure cruise was lack of feeling of even being at sea. It is a VERY internally focused ship; there are not many night time events up on top decks and due to lifeboat regulations and I guess other space constraints the outdoor promenade offers a few peeks at the ocean. Will Quantum have this style, or any, of outdoor promenade or other good vantage points of the ocean? Well interior venues offer at least some view/connection to the sea like on smaller ships? I know on any ship you can see the ocean if you want to, but on some ships it is much more of a focal point than others.

Opinions, best guesses?

Totally agree with you. If you don't have a balcony cabin you have to make an effort to see the sea on Oasis and Allure. The life boats block much of the view when on the jogging track, and we have always liked to walk around outside after dinner along the ocean - without having to go up to the pool deck. If Quantum is Radiance on steroids, that would be absolutely fantastic. We love the look of Radiance, but of course there is far more to do on the Oasis class.

Opinions, best guesses?

Reponding to another CC member on a similar topic I posted the below comments a while back in the Quantum Keel Blocks thread page 41 I think.

Regarding your question about closed in vs open sea views, I think Decks 4 and 5 will have a lot of Sea views. With the lack of any new info I spent some time looking over the deck plans again especially 4 and 5. If you try and trace all the paths and walkways and how they lead to a "retail" or "more to come" it's very revealing. Even Guest Services, Next Cruise, Shore Excursion and Photo Gallery appear to have visibility to the outside just given their location on the outer part os the ship. The mid section of deck 5 also appears to have areas open to deck 4 below. But if my trace it right, the path/walkway at mid deck 5, port side before the photo gallery has space open to deck 4 also on the port side that maybe open to a great sea view. Even though the Lifeboats are there, deck 5 could have some great sea views.

Reponding to another CC member on a similar topic I posted the below comments a while back in the Quantum Keel Blocks thread page 41 I think.

Regarding your question about closed in vs open sea views, I think Decks 4 and 5 will have a lot of Sea views. With the lack of any new info I spent some time looking over the deck plans again especially 4 and 5. If you try and trace all the paths and walkways and how they lead to a "retail" or "more to come" it's very revealing. Even Guest Services, Next Cruise, Shore Excursion and Photo Gallery appear to have visibility to the outside just given their location on the outer part os the ship. The mid section of deck 5 also appears to have areas open to deck 4 below. But if my trace it right, the path/walkway at mid deck 5, port side before the photo gallery has space open to deck 4 also on the port side that maybe open to a great sea view. Even though the Lifeboats are there, deck 5 could have some great sea views.

That sounds great. Let's hope they incorporate sea views wherever they can on these decks. Should be able to speculate further if/when they show us more build photos of those areas.

That sounds great. Let's hope they incorporate sea views wherever they can on these decks. Should be able to speculate further if/when they show us more build photos of those areas.

And let's not forget the space you noted in that same thread with the trellis looking thing between the last three and two life boats on deck 5. There maybe a similar area on the port side before the third to last life boat as well.

As you say above hopefully they share more and better photos from Royal and the webcam tomorrow morning.

An RC patent/concept was identified my a CC member, for a dining room, with big window/s.

Maybe this design has found it's way onto Quantum? After all it was called "Project sunshine".

this-one1.jpg?w=450&h=325

Wow! Wouldn't that be something. It could make sense if the dining rooms are off to the sides of the ship rather than the aft as suspected...?

An RC patent/concept was identified my a CC member, for a dining room, with big window/s.

Maybe this design has found it's way onto Quantum? After all it was called "Project sunshine".

Unfortunately the only 2 deck spaces left unidentified appear to be the location below Two70 where they only have port holes.

This is from a Crystal Cruises patent (US Patent Number 7,617,790). It was misidentified as a Royal Caribbean patent in another thread.