Newie with questions!

PaperSniper4

We have done about 30 cruises, all but two in the USA. Others were the UK and the Mediterranean. We flew RT for both those. We do NOT enjoy flying!

We are interested in a Rhine River cruise in 2015, probably May 2015. Something around 7-8 days. We are looking at Avalon and Viking so far, but for no particular reason other than that's what I found first doing research. Looks like the cruise only will cost about 6-8k USD for we two.

We would want to spend a few days in the departure city prior to the river cruise to adjust to the time zone change from CST USA, if we fly, and just to sight see if we don't fly.

I am thinking of taking a "repositioning" cruise from the USA east coast to near the river cruise departure (AMS looks most likely). That would be a way to avoid flying over to Europe, and help us adjust to the time changes. Only interested in doing that pre-river cruise. Cost would be more than flying, but it's a nice 8-15 day vacation in itself; and beats the heck out of 12 hours in a cramped airplane seat!

I think this is my first decision: Will a repo cruise work? if not, start looking at airfares.

Questions:

1. Anyone done this before (repositioning cruise) and departed a river cruise in Europe? Any suggestions on what to avoid or seek? Any experience with what additional things I ought to consider, like transportation from the repo arrival port to the river cruise departure city?

2. Anyone have tips on booking flights to/from Europe if the repositioning cruise doesn't fit? I have heard to avoid the cheapest seats and pay more to get some legroom, which makes sense. Suggestions of where to start finding the best fares?

The flights are the worst part of any cruise, river or ocean.

Repo cruises don't mesh with the timing of your river cruise, they leave the US very early in the river cruise season. I feel the 7 day river cruises are too short, especially with the agro of the flights. Look for a 14 or do 2 in a row with different ports. We've enjoyed Viking, western Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam would be my suggestion. Since the cruise includes tours in each city, the planning is very easy.

:rolleyes:

The flights are the worst part of any cruise, river or ocean.

Repo cruises don't mesh with the timing of your river cruise, they leave the US very early in the river cruise season. I feel the 7 day river cruises are too short, especially with the agro of the flights. Look for a 14 or do 2 in a row with different ports. We've enjoyed Viking, western Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam would be my suggestion. Since the cruise includes tours in each city, the planning is very easy.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Actually, I could make the repo cruise work, but then I'd have to spend several more days in the pre-departure city - thus increasing costs. So it might not be a great solution as you point out.

I will consider a longer river cruise, but we are attempting to keep prices under $10k USD.....yeah, I know, good luck to me on that!:cool:

Do you usually book air with the river cruise agent? Or do yourself? My initial reaction is to book both the air and pre-cruise (2-3 days) stay myself. Hopefully I could book the same hotel the cruise line uses so I'd not have to pack/unpack. We are lazy; that's why we likes cruises!

Good point on the tour planning, and I agree! That sure simplifies things over our UK and Med cruises were I did ALL our tours myself! Saved a bunch over the cruise line tours, but it was a lot of work!

I've booked my own air for most of my river cruises, but Viking has some air prices much better than I was able to find of late. They also offer a deviation program which allows some time in the departure or arrival cities for a nominal cost.

PaperSniper4 ~ welcome to River Cruising!!!! As you know you'll find a wealth of advice and suggestions here on CC!!!

In theory, your idea is fabulous - repro cruise, visit a city, river cruise, another sity or home. Timing and $$$, I think, will be the main "problem" to conquer!!!

Amsterdam is a great location - ocean cruise ship and river cruise ships dock very close to each other. But, as sitraveler pointed out, timing may prove difficult. Check if/when Celebrity repositions for their Baltic cruise, I think they might begin in May. And many cruises leave from Amsterdam - Budapest and Basel, if not more.

Also give some thought to taking a train from the OC port to the RC port - great way to travel in Europe! Or even renting a car.

The only repro cruise we have any experience with was all within Europe - and was fabulous!! Celebrity ship from Amsterdam - great city!! - to Istanbul - also great city!! After a 4 day stay in Istanbul we flew to Venice for 4 days and then took the train to a 4-day stay in Munich - DH wanted to spend his birthday that year at the Octoberfest. All in all it was a fabulous trip!!!

In short, a lot of things are possible - all depends on scheduling, and how much $$ you want to spend. My suggestion - don't give up too easily - be open to adventure!!!!! And have a fabulous trip no matter what you do!!!

PaperSniper4 ~ Booking planes ~ we've usually booked out own travel mainly since we like to fly in at least a day or two beforehand and often add additional travel post-cruise to the trip.

This past December, however, we took a Viking Rhine River Christmas Cruise - a "quick" trip because of the time of year! - and we book our air with Viking because I was concerned about bad weather, first Europe trip we had ever taken in December! (Turned out flights were fine but we landed home in snow!!) Viking's policy is that you can "deviate" from the regular arrive-day-of-cruise flight for additional $100 and be invloved in choosing flights for $50 (both per person) and we elected to do both.

Just an FYI in thinking about your options.

We did Rhine in July 2013 with Avalon as our first, river cruise. It was faultless in every way.

Would suggest at least 2 days at Lake Lucerne prior to cruise and at least 2 in Amsterdam after cruise.

Easiest way is to book all directly with Avalon, including flights and extra hotel nights, they are very helpful on the phone . This will not be the cheapest option, but takes all the worry out of it.

Alternative find a good travel agent but check their price of cruise against Avalon.

We do it all directly ourselves, have found booking well in advance and also knowing when airlines run their special saves us $$$$

Good luck

Do some research about temperatures in the places you want to see -- it's no bargain if the repo cruise forces you into a river cruise with bad (i.e. cold and rainy) weather. It might work out better the other way around at the end of the season: fly over, river cruise, TA home to Fort Lauderdale.

Do you usually book air with the river cruise agent? Or do yourself? ...

It really depends on a time of year. Viking runs a very good air deals in spring/fall with the transfers included. In summer though it sometimes makes sense to do it on your own.

Some cruise lines do run very good air specials. But be alert about their transfers and always ask IF they are included if you fly in/out days early or late.

We booked our December air through Viking but flew into Basel 2 days early. Air cost was an additional $150pp more plus we lost the transfers. No big deal since the Basel airport was close to town, has a bus with lots of luggage room, and was free with a Basel hotel reservation - wish all cities were like this! But at times transfers into the city - like Paris - can run big bucks! Just be aware of cruise line's policy!!!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions on temperatures, transfers, etc. Those issues are already on my list, but thanks for the reminder!;)

I'll check about those spring/fall specials, which I bet it when the temps aren't at their best. But as long as it's not raining steadily, we'll be just fine. We visited many large, open "tourist" areas in and around Rome and Naples for 4-5 days a few years back, and it rained nearly the entire time! The first day I debated using my brand-new digital camera to take pictures...it probably would be ruined; maybe I ought to wait a day? But then I thought: Camera cost $200, trip to Europe cost $10,000 - Hell, I can buy another camera!:cool: As it turned out, the camera did fine, and we have these wonderful photos of Pompeii and other places. We will never forgot THAT particular cruise/visit!:D

I checked out prices on Viking as I found an email from them this morning....prices looked comparable to the tentative Avalon Rhine cruise in April 2015. I don't know what's different between the two lines, however.

We'd be looking at a mid-level cabin with a large window. I think that's a category D or C on either lines. I saw a lot of differences in Vikings ships, and they have a lot of them. For instance, some cabins are 135 sq ft, while the same category cabin on two of their others ships (Viking Sun, Viking Helvetia) have much larger cabins at 170 sq ft. We'd want a cabin with chairs by the window, which the larger cabin provides. But there might be other differences between the two cabins I did not notice.....anyone have experience?

Airfare didn't look at all good! We live in Memphis TN. I checked yesterday and found a few flights MEM-AMS/Basel-MEM for $1190-$1300. Viking offered those routes for $1195, but that was from ATL - an 8 hour drive for us, or an expensive flight MEM-ATL. So no good deals are to be had there at all.

Viking's offering of Pre-Post cruise hotel stays were also super-expensive - like $500-$600 per person for 2 or 3 nights, depending on the city. I know hotels are expensive over there, but surely I could get a double room for $200 a night. Their price includes transfers, a tour and breakfast.....but I figure I could do my own for a lot less money.

I can't help being thrifty; I am of Scottish descent!:o

PaperSniper4 ~ I can only speak about Viking - took our first cruise with them in 2012, loved it, and our second last December and also loved that one! Have one booked for next October. Soo...

Cabin - 135ft I believe is the French Balcony - which is really a floor-to-ceiling window with sliding doors - not a balcony you can step out onto. I was perfect for us on our December cruise, gave us a chance to open it and get some fresh air and afforded me the opportunity to take photos. (Because we're hoping for nice weather, we have a balcony booked for October.) (DH did not want a room with just a small window - I think I would have been fine with that!) The room is "tight" but we survived! We've found, like others, you really don't spend much time in your room - the lounge is fabulous or the library/computer area is also great, I found that area perfect in the early morning for e-mails - 24-hour coffee/tea station very handy!

Pre/post with Viking. We've never used the cruise line - have talked to others who have and they've been very happy. It's all a matter of opinion and how much you want to plan yourself!

And don't worry about being Scottish! I'm not yet I still want the most from my money!!!!

PaperSniper4 ~ forgot to add - Amsterdam & Basel are both cities with very easy airport transportation.

Amsterdam - train goes from airport to Central Station IF luggage is no problem! There's an elevator & escalator at the airport and an elevator at Central Station as long as getting luggage on train is OK. Also Anmsterdam has a great hotel shuttle - name is something like Connexxion. They even have a counter at the airport so you can make reservation on line or in person when you arrive. They go to/from most hotels - can't remember the price but that was also in 2011. They have mini-vans and take about 6-8 people.

Basel - airport in not internation - we had to change at CDG. But there's a bus shuttle - plenty of luggage areas - from airport to train station, nice area, with lots of hotels and its free with hotel reservation. Took about 15 minutes at most. Also Basel has a great tram system - hotel guests get a free pass for each day you're there - very easy to get around the city.

For the month you are thinking of traveling, one thing to consider is river flooding--a problem for many cruises last year.

Do a search of this board and read how the cruise companies handled the various situations that arose. Not all companies handled the flooding well

and this is definitely information you need to help you make your decision.

For the month you are thinking of traveling, one thing to consider is river flooding--a problem for many cruises last year.

Do a search of this board and read how the cruise companies handled the various situations that arose. Not all companies handled the flooding well

and this is definitely information you need to help you make your decision.

Yes, I have seen a bit on that, but wasn't the bulk of those flooding problems in a "500 year" flood? I'd think that flooding that caused problems with a River cruise would be very rare based on that.

We have opened ourselves up to different times of the years....looks pretty cold there until May/Jun. April looked like the highs were in the high 40s, historically for most of Germany. July looked like the low to mid 70s which sounds pretty good to me......

re: month to travel. Don't forget that summer is peak travel time for tourists so many of these small river towns are going to be packed.

If you can, consider September or October. A wonderful time to cruise!

I think the issue with the handling of the floods, 500 year or not, is how the cruise companies handled something out of the ordinary; floods, strikes, broken locks, ships running into things can all happen on river cruises.

Besides, the way the weather has been around the world for the past few years, "500 year" may become more prevalent!

re: month to travel. Don't forget that summer is peak travel time for tourists so many of these small river towns are going to be packed.

If you can, consider September or October. A wonderful time to cruise!

I think the issue with the handling of the floods, 500 year or not, is how the cruise companies handled something out of the ordinary; floods, strikes, broken locks, ships running into things can all happen on river cruises.

Besides, the way the weather has been around the world for the past few years, "500 year" may become more prevalent!

When is "peak time"? I've hear July and August. Do you think May is better than June? We don't want to go too early (or late) after looking at the historical temperatures.....Maybe September is best for us.

When is "peak time"? I've hear July and August. Do you think May is better than June? We don't want to go too early (or late) after looking at the historical temperatures.....Maybe September is best for us.

Look at the prices of the cruises and you will see what is high season. The higher the price, the more "peak time" the trip is.:)

fwiw...when we cruise Europe, either ocean or river, we go in May or September. Just too many people in June, July and August. Plus August is also the time when Europeans take their holidays and some of the great little cafes and restaurants may be closed.

The Greek Islands in May are wonderful, think wildflowers on Delos, Mykonos and Santorini; Rhodes and Esphesus are also lovely in May but for western Europe we much prefer September.

PaperSniper4

Firstly, we tracked specials from various airlines by either being members or log on to their special pages daily or weekly, likewise with 3 different cruise lines, looking for their special offer cruises.

I personally would select Avalon over Viking,( based on other CC ratings) also be aware of the issues with various cruise line in the floods etc last year, Avalon was one of the better ones who looked after customers extremely well. Rhine river is less likely to flood.

We flew into to Zurich, then you can use train or car to Lake Lucerne and returned to hotel in Zurich that Avalon start Cruise from ( Bused to Basel at their cost, we arrived at 2.30 and left at 3.00, alternatively you could spent a night or two in Zurich.

I can give you copy of all daily events and port times for this cruise as I have kept all the daily reports, e mail me peterhelen@xtra.co.nz

Look at the prices of the cruises and you will see what is high season. The higher the price, the more "peak time" the trip is.:)

That would seem to make sense, but then I see rates higher in May than June, and that seems illogical. Also, Avalon had a 10% discount on a cruise sailing on 4 July, but the regular price the week after and before that one. Odd. The Avalon agent with whom I spoke had no idea why that was either......

It's looking like a Rhine 8 day cruise in 2015 for us on either Avalon or Viking. There is much to like on either line, and lots of variety with cabins. At this point, and it could change in an hour (:rolleyes:) is Viking looks best, based on the cabin and the price. This is on the Viking Sun or Helvetia It's nearly $1200 less expensive than a slightly nicer cabin on Avalon. The major difference if there is no mini-fridge on the Viking ship. Vikings "discount airfare" is $1700 pp from Memphis, or about $1200 pp than I found on DL's website. I have no idea what Avalon would charge for airfare. But I figure I can use the $1200 I'd save booking Viking over Avalon and spend a few extra days at the beginning and perhaps the end of the river cruise.

I have little experience with either cruise line, so my criteria is based on the things I can see in their brochures, like cabins and prices. There are much nicer, and much less expensive cabins, but the mid-priced, mid-level ones I believe will be fine for us. I am assuming, from what I read here, that the tours, meals, wine & beer, and such are pretty much the same. Those are not that important to us anyway....well, the tours are, but it's tough reading here and trying to figure out which line does the better job.

One thing I do not like about Viking is having to pay the entire cruise so much in advance - a cruise in June 2015 must be paid the end of this month. I think that's a borderline crime - gives them about $800 interest on that money - which is something to consider. But I don't recall what Avalon's policy is other than a $500 deposit at booking.