Catching or missing early morning post cruise flights

hsaroya

There is always much debate, heated at times :o, on these boards about the wisdom of early post cruise flights. Let's hear from those of you who have personally had the experience. And, no, I'm not asking for future reference. I'm way too much of a chicken to book anything before noon!

What is the earliest morning flight you have caught after a cruise out of Port Everglades?

How many of you have missed a morning flight? What time was the flight?

Please, no debate about the wisdom of certain flight times. Let's just hear from those with actual experience.

There is always much debate, heated at times :o, on these boards about the wisdom of early post cruise flights. Let's hear from those of you who have personally had the experience. And, no, I'm not asking for future reference. I'm way too much of a chicken to book anything before noon!

What is the earliest morning flight you have caught after a cruise out of Port Everglades?

How many of you have missed a morning flight? What time was the flight?

Please, no debate about the wisdom of certain flight times. Let's just hear from those with actual experience.

Any data that you get from this post will be meaningless and will tend to make you believe that the percentage of people who miss flights is higher than it probably is. To get accurate statistics, you need a parallel post of those who have made the flights. You then need to somehow figure out the reporting bias as more people who have missed flights will report than those who made them w/o problems.

Yes, it is probably fun to read about the people who missed their flight and because planes were full could not get out until several days later. But of what use is this data.

DON

OK...Here goes

Sunday, 2/2/14 10:30 Flight Booked FLL-SFO

Disembarked the Epic, Port of Miami 8:00 AM

Cab Ride to FLL,

Arrived FLL approx 9:00 AM

I do have to preface this - we had priority disembarkation and everything else fell perfectly into place

Flight delayed 90 minutes!:rolleyes:

In May, self-disembarked the Jewel (San Juan) about 6:45am, were in a cab just after 7am, at the airport at 7:25, and were at the gate by 7:45. Had a 1pm flight, but was able to get onto the 9:30 flight stand-by.

Self-disembarked the Allure at 6:40am (could have gotten off about 1/2 hour earlier, but we were still eating breakfast when they started allowing people off the ship), and was in a cab by 7am. FLL airport is just 10 minutes away, and it's not that busy so early in the AM. We could have caught an 8:30am flight (but because of hurricane Irene, our flight back to NY was canceled and we had to stay at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale an extra day)

I think the key to catching an early flight is to self-disembark. We generally leave from our homeport in Cape Liberty, and are in our car driving home within 1/2 hour of leaving the ship because we are amongst the first people to leave the ship and can breeze right through customs/immigration.

Edited by DonnaK

I asked this very question just a few months ago and also got thoroughly blasted. I see the trend continues. :cool:

I had a 11:00 am flight from FLL and was at the gate at 9:30 am with self assist debarkation.

Eh, life is too short to give them any thought. ;)

As there are always regular posts asking about the feasibility of making a morning flight, thank you to the posters who have provided their actual experiences. Looks like self assist is the trend for those who've successfully made those early flights.