No Pizza on Maasdam

sunnygidget

There is no pizza on the Maasdam. They say they are concentrating on the "Dive In" right now, near the pool. The Dive In was okay, but you had to order and they gave you a number to wait. If you had a special request, it was rarely fulfilled as requested. Not their best idea to leave off the pizza:(

We were on a HAL cruise, in Jan - the Pizza was next to the spaghetti station and it was a good pizza

Maasdam (the "S" and "R" Class ships) have different set up.

You likely were on a Vista or Signature class ship and the pizza is inside Lido beside the pasta station. Not so on the other classes of ships.

It is at the forward end of Lido pool.

Edited by sail7seas

Innlady reported yesterday as they got off the Maasdam (maybe it was Friday) that halfway through the cruise -- no more hamburgers.

SO -- are they back?

Someone who had been on Maasdam last week (maybe it was Sheila ?) said they were converting the burger bar to something more like Five Guys. That may be fine and we'll see but why is that a reason to do away with pizza?

Burgers and pizza are both popular fast foods and people like both. I do have to say the only worse pizza we have had on HAL ships than Maasdam's was Westerdam's our last cruise. It was not good. Seeing there are now ties between Princess closer than ever before, maybe they'll start making pizza as they do on Princess? That would be great.

Aren't they all frozen and just cooked on board? The chefs don't make the pizza, do they?

Edited by sail7seas

Someone who had been on Maasdam last week (maybe it was Sheila ?) said they were converting the burger bar to something more like Five Guys. That may be fine and we'll see but why is that a reason to do away with pizza?

Burgers and pizza are both popular fast foods and people like both. I do have to say the only worse pizza we have had on HAL ships than Maasdam's was Westerdam's our last cruise. It was not good. Seeing there are now ties between Princess closer than ever before, maybe they'll start making pizza as they do on Princess? That would be great.

Aren't they all frozen and just cooked on board? The chefs don't make the pizza, do they?

I see that a few people have said the pizza was so good on Princess. I had it on my last cruise and I would say it was fine but nothing to rave about. To me it seemed like a good frozen pizza but not as good as what you would get at a pizza joint.

It's the little window by the Lido pool where they grill burgers and hot dogs. The taco bar is there as well.

Thank you. I have to admit I was still puzzled because I've never heard of it called the Dive In before, even though we have eaten burgers and tacos there on a few cruises. :o

On Princess, they make the pizza fresh; we have often watched the chef twirl and throw the dough in the air. They usually have cheese, pepperoni, and a pizza of the day. It is the best pizza at sea--and better than much of what we can get around here.

I am curious about the lack of pizza. While not great it was a quick bite and not bad if it was fresh. Now the burger bar was Amazing on our December trip on the Eurodam. The burgers were cooked fresh with fabulous buns and great toppings. I hope they roll that out to the entire fleet. Some of the best food we have ever had on a cruise. Truly an upgrade from the old stuff. Sorry to hijack a bit but wanted to throw that in.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am curious about the lack of pizza. While not great it was a quick bite and not bad if it was fresh. Now the burger bar was Amazing on our December trip on the Eurodam. The burgers were cooked fresh with fabulous buns and great toppings. I hope they roll that out to the entire fleet. Some of the best food we have ever had on a cruise. Truly an upgrade from the old stuff. Sorry to hijack a bit but wanted to throw that in.

DH enjoyed the burgers on the NA last fall...and one on the Noordam for lunch today. It looked good...we ate with friends and we all had the pizza...

Will they cook burgers "MED. RARE" or are they still Well Done ::(?

The best Burgers we've ever had at sea were on Oceania & they made them Med. Rare.. What a treat..

Betty

Will they cook burgers "MED. RARE" or are they still Well Done ::(?

The best Burgers we've ever had at sea were on Oceania & they made them Med. Rare.. What a treat..

Betty

I asked for mine medium and it was. I didn't find out if that was just lucky or the way they always do it. I tried hubby's who always wants well done and it was still really good. A much improved burger for sure.

Taste in pizza is just so subjective.

I grew up in part in the Quad Cities in Northwestern Illinois. We had a pizza joint called Frank's Pizza and many people just loved it. It is an time-honored tradition to visit Frank's when folks go back home and we, and many other high school classes, will always have one party there during their class reunions. It is not at all uncommon for folks who return to visit to order a half a dozen frozen Frank's Pizzas to take back home when they leave. The crust is quite thin and the sausage they use has a very unique flavor. I don't much care for their pizza but I love visiting our old high school hang out.

Here in Seattle we have a place called Olympia Pizza where we have been buying pizza (half 5 and half 25) for almost forty years. It is a lot cheesier than Frank's Pizza. My kids grew up eating Olympia Pizza and for them it is the best pizza in the world. The sauce is milder and the toppings are generous and delicious. I like this pizza a lot.

On Princess, the pizza is very similar to a New York Slice. Very thin crust, with a milder sauce and lots of cheese. Princess pizza is my downfall and I usually end up having a piece almost every day when we are on a Princess cruise. Yum, yum, yum. I generally save one of our free Elite beers to drink on the last day with a piece of pizza. It is heavenly. :)

HAL pizza is strange. The crust is quite thick, the sauce has too strong a tomato flavor, and they really skimp on the cheese. I never have a problem resisting HAL pizza, which is probably good for my waistline. ;) That said, however, it does not surprise me that there are folks who like HAL pizza--like I said initially, taste in pizza is really, really subjective.

Edited by PunkiC

Five Guys Burgers -- foes that mean you will have to pay for them?

When we sailed on Princess, the Pizza was made fresh.

HAL's is frozen -- the couple of times we have tried it recently, crust was too thin and nothing but greasy.

DH likes a hamburger once in a while. The last one he had on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- he got a big bite of grisel -- horrible. Bun was soggy.

We LIKE thin crust. :D

I won't eat pizza with thick crust.

It isn't the crust on HAL pizza I don't care for....... it's the taste. :p

The pizza wasn't good anyway but was easy for a quick bite. Now, Princess can make a good pizza.

Agree that Princess pizza is far superior! Ordered a whole one to take to lounge on Coral Princess for us to eat while watching 2012 Super Bowl.