Please get me to Tracy Arms Fjords….

Carnival AZIPOD

I need to use my Future Cruise Certificate from Carnival by the end of the year so I've narrowed it down to an Alaskan Cruise.

Unfortunately, the Carnival Miracle only goes to either TRACY ARMS FJORDS, or GLACIER BAY. The problem? I want to do both.

I was hoping that I could do the Tracy Arms Excursion when we dock in Juneau, but the two companies I spoke with say they are not doing it that late in September. If I did an earlier summer sailing, the ship only goes to Tracy Arms and not Glacier Bay. If I had to take one, I would do Glacier bay. But any ideas how I can squeeze in a Tracy Arms sailing into this trip??

Thanks.

SEPT 10, 2014 SAILING

Day 1 Seattle, WA 4:00 PM

Day 2 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 3 Juneau, AK 2:00 PM 11:00 PM

Day 4 Cruise Glacier Bay

Day 5 Skagway, AK 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 6 ... Sitka, AK 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Day 7 Ketchikan, AK 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 8 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 9 Vancouver, BC, Canada 8:00 AM

Edited by Carnival AZIPOD

I need to use my Future Cruise Certificate from Carnival by the end of the year so I've narrowed it down to an Alaskan Cruise.

Unfortunately, the Carnival Miracle only goes to either TRACY ARMS FJORDS, or GLACIER BAY. The problem? I want to do both.

I was hoping that I could do the Tracy Arms Excursion when we dock in Juneau, but the two companies I spoke with say they are not doing it that late in September. If I did an earlier summer sailing, the ship only goes to Tracy Arms and not Glacier Bay. If I had to take one, I would do Glacier bay. But any ideas how I can squeeze in a Tracy Arms sailing into this trip??

Thanks.

SEPT 10, 2014 SAILING

Day 4 Cruise Glacier Bay

That's the problem when a cruise line has only one ship doing cruises in a given area. Your best bet for Glacier bay and Tracy Fiord would be HAL or Princess from Seattle rtn.

Thanks.

SEPT 10, 2014 SAILING

Day 4 Cruise Glacier Bay

If you've been told already that no tours are available, then their aren't any.

Sorry, but "missing" Tracy Arm, is probably a good compromise with a free cruise. You can not do it all even with 10 cruises.

The easy way to do both is to take a cruise that goes to Tracy Arm and also take a flightseeing tour over Glacier Bay from one of the surrounding ports.

You actually get to see a lot more of Glacier Bay from the air than what you can see from a cruise ship.

The easy way to do both is to take a cruise that goes to Tracy Arm and also take a flightseeing tour over Glacier Bay from one of the surrounding ports.

You actually get to see a lot more of Glacier Bay from the air than what you can see from a cruise ship.

However the sailing is loaded with wildlife, which isn't seen from a flight. :) Both, great choices on their own.

In three cruises I haven't see any flight seeing of Glacier Bay. Glacier bay weather has a tendency to quite cloudy with low ceilings.

In three cruises I haven't see any flight seeing of Glacier Bay. Glacier bay weather has a tendency to quite cloudy with low ceilings.

They don't always fly the "Cruise ship" areas. There are miles and miles of Glacier Bay, and probably still have restrictions where flights can go (have in the past). I've flown the "area" twice.

Well - after you go to Alaska once (with Glacier Bay), you will want to return! For many of us, our one type trip to Alaska has turned into many! Just plan on returning - there is so much to do (not just glaciers), that you will want to return.

On our September HAL cruise we did both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. The deciding factor for Tracy Arm is weather and ice flows. During the summer months (August and September) HAL can usually do both. If you cruise in May, forget Tracy Arm as the ice flows are too dangerous.

For Tracy Arm see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=452

For Glacier Bay see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=415

On our September HAL cruise we did both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. The deciding factor for Tracy Arm is weather and ice flows. During the summer months (August and September) HAL can usually do both. If you cruise in May, forget Tracy Arm as the ice flows are too dangerous.

For Tracy Arm see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=452

For Glacier Bay see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=415

The deciding "factor" actually is time. Most ships do not allow enough of it, needing perfect conditions to make the full transit. The "safety" stuff sounds good as an excuse for turning around, but is completely inaccurate.

Sept, is not a given for access. If the ship has an afternoon/evening entry, they aren't going to make it, due to lack of daylight and being dark by 7pm second week of Sept.. And I have had full access in May.

Edited by Budget Queen