Nieuw Amsterdam - Handicap Accessible

MGH521

Hi! First time posting here! We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday. I can't wait! My mother is in a wheelchair and I'm looking for tips on getting around. We have booked a handicap cabin. As for the ports, which are most accessible? We are visiting Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Turks and Caicos.

Is it worth getting off the boat at Half Moon Cay with a wheelchair? The tender would be difficult for her so I'm thinking she would stay on the boat. Is the port at San Juan easy to navigate with a wheelchair? I think I recall the streets being steep. Same question for St. Thomas. Can we walk to shopping? Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to get her to Magen's Bay -- my favorite place!

Thanks for any hints!

Your MIL can transfer to HMC on the tender easily enough. The problem will be what to do once she's there. The first cabana is wheelchair accessible (if it's still available), as there's a wheelchair entrance from the back.

The ship uses large island tenders, and the wheelchair can just roll from the ship to the tender. There's a ramp at the rear of the tender that will take the wheelchair down to the lower level, and then it can be wheeled off to shore.

I believe there's a beach wheelchair on the island, but I don't know how to get it for your own use (or even if you can get it reserved). I would check with Access & Compliance about that.

San Juan does have steep streets. Are any of you able to push her wheelchair up and down steep streets?

St Thomas -- you will be docked at Crown Bay -- not many shops here -- more vendors than shops.

HMC -- did you check to see if you are the only ones at HMC (cruisetimetables)? If you are the only ship there, you will use the island's tenders. Two of them have ramps to get on and off the ship and up and down the 2 levels of the tender. If you are there with another ship, you won't know until you are at HMC whether you will use the ship's tenders or the island's tenders. I use a walker and find the paths not really very wide making it difficult to get around.

Grand Turk -- Carnival built the port area. Flat and easy to walk around the shops and to have lunch and/or drink at Margaritaville.

Sorry -- I didn't realize you are new to CC.

Welcome!!

Okay -- Went back and reread your original post.

You said that your are leaving on Sunday on the Nieuw Amstwerdam. That puts you on HMC on Feb 22.

So I went to Cruisetimetables and for Feb 22 -- you are the only ship in HMC.

That is great news -- you will use the island's tenders.

Just make certain that you get on one of the 2 larger tenders that have the ramps.

How do I find out if there will be other cruise ships at HMC?

Here are some sites that will indicate what ships are scheduled for a particular port on a given day. None are totally accurate but they are a decent guide.

www.cruiseportinsider.com

www.cruisett.com

http://www.cruisetimetables.com

www.whatsinport.com/index.htm

www.cruisereport.com/portsofcallList.aspx

Edited by sail7seas

Like the others HMC depends on how mobile she is and how much she likes the beach. We travel with a HC person and they usually skip that. As far as ST Thomas down town, the sidewalks are really narrow and not smooth. You also have to take a taxi to get downtown. In San Juan once again depending on mobility, there is a shuttle that goes from right across where the ship docks, but I don't believe they have room for a wheel chair and once again she would have to step up. Have a great cruise, we are on the NA in March and can't wait

Be sure and be out on deck for the sail-in to San Juan - incredible views of one of the forts.

If you stick to the area along the water in San Juan a wheelchair shouldn't be a problem - go left after you get off the dock. The uphill part is if you go inland away from the water. You can see some of the wall and the "red gate" without encountering much in the way of hills. Just be prepared for the humidity - it's a killer if you're desert dwellers like us. :rolleyes:

DSC09632.jpg

DSC09656.jpg

Hi

We are sailing on the same cruise.

I walk with a cane, I realize a wheelchair is much more difficult though.

1) Have you gone to the specific Ports of Call board and asked about wheelchair accessible outings?

2) In San Juan, you could ask what the cost of a taxi would cost. Get a specific price for a specific amount of time.

3) taking a taxi in St Thomas can also be a nice way to spend a day. Again, get a quote up front to see some of the beaches etc....

I know, we will take a taxi to the shopping area and walk around a bit and then enjoy lunch and a drink while enjoying the view.

Also, you are welcome to join our roll call. We are meeting several times on the ship.

Please go to the Roll Call, and stop and say hello

Please remember that HMC is a tender port. When we were in HMC in Dec., we were ordered back to the ship due to an incoming storm. We were swimming in the warm turquoise water and I can tell you that there wasn't any indication that the weather was anything but wonderful.

We were the 3rd tender back to the ship and the ride was quite rough. My fear while on the tender was that I was going to be sea sick, and luckily I wasn't. But, little did I know that our greatest challenge was yet to come. Try and imagine the tender ship rocking and rolling, rising and falling and everyone trying to disembark from the tender to the ship?

It was an eye opening experience. Having to grab hold of the rails as we walked to the top of the tender all the while the boat was moving and rocking. More than once I watched as the bridge was ripped clear of the tender due to the movement just before a passenger was about to walk on it. HAL crew were working so hard at trying to keep the bridge sturdy while other crew literally reached out and pulled many passengers across the bridge. At one point the bridge broke free and nearly feel onto passengers waiting on the tender, but HAL's crew managed to prevent that from happening.

I don't think I will ever forget the lady that was in front of me. She cried and cried during the whole experience and when she was safely back to the ship she just froze and looked like she was in shock. I tried to reassure her that she was safe and that everything was okay, and asked her if she needed any help to get back to her cabin. She just needed to sit for a while.

We went back to out cabin and watched the remaining tenders. I can tell you that the remaining tenders had an even worse experience as the sea was really rough. The last tender had to abandon its first attempt and try again and again. It took over an hour and a half to get everyone back on board from the last tender. I later heard that most of the passengers on board were extremely sick and quite distressed.

This was an eye opening experience for me and I watched as those passengers with mobility challenges struggled to get back on the ship. HAL's crew were wonderful and to the best of my knowledge no one was injured during the exchange. But, the experience has given me a whole new appreciation of what I need to prepare for when boarding a tender.