do the mini fridges keep things cold?

mrmapt

I guess it depends on the ship / cabin / particular fridge? I was pleasantly surprised by how well our mini fridge worked. We would put a couple cans of RedBull in the fridge in the morning and they would be nice and cold by the afternoon. It also kept my room service milk nice and cold.:) (If it matters, we were on Grandeur in a grand suite.)

This being my first cruise on RCI, I don't know if our fridge was the norm or the exception. But it was certainly better than those we have had on Carnival.

If you are asking about keeping medication cold, they won't. In that case ask the Special Needs Department (30 days prior to your cruise) for a refrigerator. Or you can place your excess meds in the infirmary and access them at a pre-arranged time.

If your asking for soda, go for the ice bucket routine.

The mini bar "fridge" is really just a cooler.To keep things really cold,we ask our stateroom attendant for a bucket of ice and then we get a few glasses from Windjammer and fill them up with the ice. Set them in the fridge with your beverages/food and be sure to put fresh ice in every day. We found that drinks will stay really cold if you do this. To speed things up you can put your beverages into the ice bucket and chill them before placing in the fridge.

It gets warm in the cabinet where the fridge is located. We prop the cabinet door open ( we use a washcloth) and that helps to circulate the are and get the fridge colder.

Last cruise every time the room steward cleaned the room he would remove the wash cloth. We would put it back. It took a few days before he got the idea and left it there.

We were on the Grandeur in November and had requested a refrigerator to keep my husbands meds cold and it did a great job. Before we got the refrigerator I went down to the infirmary and they would keep his meds. I am wondering if this is different on every ship.

I see the mini bar fridges in rooms, do they really keep things cold?

"Cool" is more accurate. But I was comfortable keeping medication in there that had to be refrigerated. My husband leaves his water glass in the fridge when we leave the room... it more or less is a cooler plugged into the wall.

We too, leave the wood door open to the frig cubicle. By doing so you aid in the removal of the compressor heat from the cabinet. Unfortunately, this trick won't work on Allure and Oasis (maybe other ships too). On Allure and Oasis the wood door is attached with a strap to the frig door. Whenever you open the wood door it also opens the frig door. I suggested that they remove the plastic strap, but of course they never listen to us simple passengers.

We ask our room steward to keep our ice bucket filled. We bring 2 wide mouthed water bottles (that we would use in the gym). The reason for wide mouthed, is that these are easier to use to put the ice into, then we fill it up with water; then we put the bottles in the frig; the ice defrosts a little bit and it becomes very chilled water.