La Paz, Mexico

CatsareCool

I will be on the Grand's March 5th sailing with one of the stops being LaPaz, Mexico. I understand the town is quite a distance from the pier. What is an easy, safe and reliable way to get to town and more importantly back to the ship?

There is a free bus at the pier that shuttles the guests to the heart of the town, on the Malecon. I love La Paz and hope to sail there this November:p

I will be on the Grand's March 5th sailing with one of the stops being LaPaz, Mexico. I understand the town is quite a distance from the pier. What is an easy, safe and reliable way to get to town and more importantly back to the ship?

Most likely, the ship will provide a free or inexpensive shuttle from Pichilingue to the center of town. Shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi there, I'm on that cruise and on our Roll Call, which is quite busy - there's been some discussion about that, and you might even find some people to head into town with. The Roll Call is here.

We will be visiting La Paz this fall on the Star. I have been to La Paz diving but it was a shore based dive trip. I don't know where the cruise port is located but if it is where we boarded the dive boat, it is a ways from the malecon. La Paz was a really nice town and hopefully will stay that way. I am interested in where the ship will tie up.

The port is between the beaches and the town. There will be busses going in both directions. The city bound bus will take you to the bus station in the middle of town, right across from the malecon. Your ship card is your ticket for the ride back.

The station has extremely clean bathrooms they charge a few pesos for the priviledge.

The beaches in La Paz has beautiful clean clear ocean and their several beaches. My advise is to book a ship tour so you don't miss out on seeing the beaches. They are located in different areas far from eachother. The ship's tour will provide you a great experience.

I speak Spanish so I am able to get around easily. But... like I have said...the beaches are located in different locations and that is the beauty of La Paz.

I have stayed at a hotel for week ends in La Paz and it felt great to see the beautiful palm trees at night time.

It is a poor fishing town so don't off the tourist areas because the people of La Paz will give you strange looks. My stupid sister and her friend decided to go up to the hills of La Paz and realized they had made a serious mistake just walking around and seeing the poor people in their houses. It was not a tourist area.

My advise is to explore the Malecon with a friend and stay in the tourist

area. There are lots of wonderful stores and restaurants . LucyR.

• 11 months later...

Went to LaPaz last October on a Princess cruise. The bus ride is free but it was just short of an hour's ride with no air conditioning. We talked with others who came into town on different buses and their experience was much different, even a quicker ride in.

Lots of buses line up outside of the ship and load up as quickly as they can. Once in town, there isn't much to do other than to shop. There is just one shop after another and it's the same typical stuff in all the other Mexican towns.

We had lunch and decided there was nothing more to do or see. We walked back a few blocks where we were to pick up the bus back to the ship and there was a line going around the block (in the sun). I don't handle heat well so we just hailed a cab with another couple and went back to the ship. It wasn't expensive in light of the distance he had to take us. Unless you want to go to a beach (and yes, the bus will drop you off and pick you up) I wouldn't bother going into town unless you are a shopper for touristy stuff.

Went to LaPaz last October on a Princess cruise. The bus ride is free but it was just short of an hour's ride with no air conditioning. We talked with others who came into town on different buses and their experience was much different, even a quicker ride in.

Lots of buses line up outside of the ship and load up as quickly as they can. Once in town, there isn't much to do other than to shop. There is just one shop after another and it's the same typical stuff in all the other Mexican towns.

We had lunch and decided there was nothing more to do or see. We walked back a few blocks where we were to pick up the bus back to the ship and there was a line going around the block (in the sun). I don't handle heat well so we just hailed a cab with another couple and went back to the ship. It wasn't expensive in light of the distance he had to take us. Unless you want to go to a beach (and yes, the bus will drop you off and pick you up) I wouldn't bother going into town unless you are a shopper for touristy stuff.

Hi iceleven. Was just there a few weeks ago. There is a tourist information tent set up near the gazebo on the Malecon. I told them I was looking for a non-touristy place to eat and they sent me to Mercado Madero uphill from the Burger King on the Malecon and next to the city bus center.

Across the street from the plaza next to the Church, there is a small museum. We saw a beautiful needlepoint quilt display.

The bus was 1/2 hour each way.