Delete auto grautuity and pay cash?

Jim Henry

Hi Randy,

You bring up a really good point regarding the HSC. I don't know what happens should I reduce or remove the HSC from my bill. If I were to reduce my HSC, should I expect a response from HAL? And what would that response look like?

You will need to tell HAL (front desk) what areas of service are lacking to cause you to do this. Those people whom you specified that did not provide the service would be spoken to by their supervisors.

Jacqui is correct. While I've never done it my understanding is that the Front Office staff is going to question you right then and there. I suppose if your issue or grievance with a service issue was serious enough you might even hear from HAL after the cruise....maybe. Some have reported follow up by HAL even from comments written on their end-of-cruise critique. That's not been my experience but then again I have only really come down on one area of service and one server once in all my HAL cruises.

You will need to tell HAL (front desk) what areas of service are lacking to cause you to do this. Those people whom you specified that did not provide the service would be spoken to by their supervisors.

Thank-you kazu.

Jacqui is correct. While I've never done it my understanding is that the Front Office staff is going to question you right then and there. I suppose if your issue or grievance with a service issue was serious enough you might even hear from HAL after the cruise....maybe. Some have reported follow up by HAL even from comments written on their end-of-cruise critique. That's not been my experience but then again I have only really come down on one area of service and one server once in all my HAL cruises.

Thank-you Randy. Like you, I have also never removed or reduced the HSC from my charge, but can tell you that several years ago we received such poor service while in a Neptune Suite that I will never sail on that particular ship again. It just didn't sit right with me that I would condone such poor service by leaving the HSC intact. I didn't want to send the message that the service that we received was okay, when clearly it wasn't. So, instead, we left it intact and contacted HAL HQ after the cruise.

Jim, actually I think yours was a very good question and some of the answers will be informative for others who have the same question. Glad you were convinced to leave the auto-service intact. To me it relieves a lot of pressure about tipping. We leave extra gratuities only for extraordinary service and those vary from cruise to cruise.

So, peace, and have a great cruise!

I disagree. On its website, HAL refers to the topic as Hotel Service Charge (Gratuity/Tip)
The only reason that the words Gratuity/Tip are used in the title in the FAQs is that is how some people would be searching for the information. Know Before You Go says:

HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of

your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those

crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room

wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each

day. There are also many others who support their efforts

whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff.

To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are

recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is

automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is USD$12.00*

per guest per day, and USD$11.50* per guest per day for

other staterooms. (*The charges are subject to change without notice.)

For more details, please visit “Money Matters” under the

Shipboard Life section of our website at hollandamerica.com.

The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line

crew members, and represents an important part of their

compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically

added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In

terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we

suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary

local practices.

I strikes me as odd that people who think it's okay to remove the Hotel Service CHARGE for reasons other than unsatisfactory service rarely question the Bar Service CHARGE.

Edited by jtl513

We were on the Ryndam and went to the Front Desk to reduce the amount.

We are from the UK and perceived the charge as tips, we understand now that is not the case. We would therefore not do that again.

There again we will probably not cruise with HAL again.

The Front Desk just asked us to fill in a form and never questioned our reasons.

THANK YOU DR DAWG! I was feeling a bit ganged up on! Second time on a cruise and my intentions are not to rip anyone off. I posted the question because a colleague just returned from a cruise and did this. I questioned her about this and asked her how and why. Therefore I posted this on this great forum which I have used on many occasions to get advice. In closing, you all made it loud and clear that it is a bad thing do to. Therefore I won't. Peace!

Good for you. You realize that your colleague is a cheap miserly piker and you are doing what is right and fair.

I totally agree that the people who work on the ships should be paid a living wage and not be dependent upon tips. Unfortunately, this will never happen so we as passengers have to go along with the cheap miserly piker cruise companies and pay the "hotel service charge".

Enjoy your cruise and the great service that you will get from the staff.

DON

Thank-you Randy. Like you, I have also never removed or reduced the HSC from my charge, but can tell you that several years ago we received such poor service while in a Neptune Suite that I will never sail on that particular ship again. It just didn't sit right with me that I would condone such poor service by leaving the HSC intact. I didn't want to send the message that the service that we received was okay, when clearly it wasn't. So, instead, we left it intact and contacted HAL HQ after the cruise.

I think you handled it perfectly. Better to let the HQ know the issue.

DaveOKC

And the form didn't ask for reasons?

I recall the form having an area for "comments", but not a required area for "reason."

Just to be clear, the Front Desk uses the same form for any adjustment to the "Auto Tip /Service Charge" - whatever you feel it is. On our last cruise on the Eurodam we had an amazing level of service, and much of it was from many different crew members who we had no chance of remembering. So in addition to cash "tips" for our room steward and dining room stewards we added an additional amount to the "Service Charge." The front desk person was actually delighted that someone was adding, instead of deleting, and made mention of the fact that MANY people come down on the last morning to delete the service charge, but the form is exactly the same.

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been reading posts with great interest for awhile now.

First of all, NO question is a stupid question...people ask because they just don't know, or need clarification on something. I feel sorry for the OP because he was merely asking a question in order to get an answer and the reason behind the Hotel Service Charge.

Okay, that said, I have been on six HAL cruises and am still learning all the ins and outs. I would just like to get clarification on how this all works. We always leave our Hotel Service Charge in place and then hand out thank you cards and cash to specific people on our last night. I understand that the Hotel Service Charge gets divided up, but are you saying that the cash I give each individual person goes into the big pot as well...the individuals don't get to keep the cash themselves? Also, do you know the answer for sure or are you just surmising?

Thanks!

Edited by cruising42JVJ

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been reading posts with great interest for awhile now.

Okay, that said, I have been on six HAL cruises and am still learning all the ins and outs. I would just like to get clarification on how this all works. We always leave our Hotel Service Charge in place and then hand out thank you cards and cash to specific people on our last night. I understand that the Hotel Service Charge gets divided up, but are you saying that the cash I give each individual person goes into the big pot as well...the individuals don't get to keep the cash themselves? Also, do you know the answer for sure or are you just surmising?

Thanks!

If you leave the Hotel Service Charge in place, then the person that you give additional to gets to keep it. If you withdraw the Hotel Service Charge, any monies you give to individuals must be shared. This has been explained a number of times and I have also heard it from the Hotel directors.

Susan

I understand that the Hotel Service Charge gets divided up, but are you saying that the cash I give each individual person goes into the big pot as well...the individuals don't get to keep the cash themselves?
If you leave the HSC intact they are allowed to keep any cash you give them. For sure! Except in some cases there may be a voluntary agreement among stewards to share tips. For example, the waiters and bartenders in a given bar may throw all cash into a common jar to be divided among them.

HAL charges automatically $11.50 per person, per day for gratuities. For a family of four that will be over $300. It has been suggested to me if I don't want to pay that much, on the last night ask guest services to delete the automatic gratuities from the final bill . Then on the last day leave a lesser tip. Say $200 in cash in the room, and tip the MDR staff a modest tip on the last evening meal. Also tip "as you go" for other special services, such as room service, spa, etc. Your thoughts?

It's in place for a reason...so that all the people 'behind the scenes' can be tipped, too. And, if you give $200 cash to the room attendants and deduct your automatic tip, they will have to turn it in to be spread around to the others, I believe.

Why was it suggested you wait til the last night?

I don't know where I am in the realm of HAL cruisers and posters here, maybe in the minority, but I consider the Hotel Service Charge (HSC) an automatic tip or gratuity. In my mind they can call it anything they want to but I "know" what it is to me. Kind of like when my doctor tells me "this might pinch"......pinch???.....he really means "hurt". :rolleyes: :) As I said earlier in this thread I don't remove the HSC. I always tipped in the pre-HSC days, I've left the HSC in place....though not always happily, and I typically tip out-of-hand for that service that goes that little extra way to make our cruise that much more enjoyable. Interesting thing is the only time I really, really wanted to not tip an individual(s) was actually the bar and wait staff in the Crow's Nest but there's no way to remove the 15% charge that I know of.

Edited by Randyk47

First of all, NO question is a stupid question...people ask because they just don't know, or need clarification on something.

There are stupid questions asked here all the time. Some of them are:

1. How do you pack a duffle bag?

2. How big is a 12x12x12 cooler?

3. Are there any underwater balcony rooms on the ship?

I don't know where I am in the realm of HAL cruisers and posters here, maybe in the minority, but I consider the Hotel Service Charge (HSC) an automatic tip or gratuity. In my mind they can call it anything they want to but I "know" what it is to me. Kind of like when my doctor tells me "this might pinch"......pinch???.....he really means "hurt". :rolleyes: :) As I said earlier in this thread I don't remove the HSC. I always tipped in the pre-HSC days, I've left the HSC in place....though not always happily, and I typically tip out-of-hand for that service that goes that little extra way to make our cruise that much more enjoyable. Interesting thing is the only time I really, really wanted to not tip an individual(s) was actually the bar and wait staff in the Crow's Nest but there's no way to remove the 15% charge that I know of.

I think of it much the same way. For me it is the gratuities that I pay for the service that I receive. I interpret the use of the word charge to indicate that the gratuity is being added to my on-board account and that I am financially responsible for it. I understand HAL's use of Hotel Service Charge (Gratuity/Tip) to be the generally understood use of parentheses in written text being that parentheses are used to enclose words that provide clarity. Thus, the HSC is a gratuity/tip.

Edited by cbr663

... but I consider the Hotel Service Charge (HSC) an automatic tip or gratuity. In my mind they can call it anything they want to but I "know" what it is to me
What would it take for you to believe it is a charge? Make it non-removable like the 15% beverage service charge? And then what would you have HAL do should someone receive inadequate service that they shouldn't have to pay for? Why, waive it of course! That is what HAL is saying: the only legitimate reason for removing the charge is inadequate service.

... the gratuities that I pay ...
But you don't pay gratuities. By definition gratuities are gifts, freely "given voluntarily or beyond obligation". You pay charges. Gratuities are what you give in addition to the HS Charge. Edited by jtl513

There are stupid questions asked here all the time. Some of them are:

1. How do you pack a duffle bag?

2. How big is a 12x12x12 cooler?

3. Are there any underwater balcony rooms on the ship?

Really, I've never seen anything like that. Which board is it on because I've never seen that on HAL?

Edited by cruz chic

What would it take for you to believe it is a charge? Make it non-removable like the 15% beverage service charge? And then what would you have HAL do should someone receive inadequate service? Why, waive it of course! That is what HAL is saying: the only legitimate reason for removing the charge is inadequate service.

But you don't pay gratuities. By definition gratuities are gifts, freely "given voluntarily or beyond obligation". You pay charges. Gratuities are what you give in addition to the HS Charge.

So I'd ask why does HAL then have the policy for all service staff that receive out-of-hand tips from passengers removing the HSC require that the monies be turned in? Out-of-hand tips are clearly tips, not charges, but if you remove the charge then the tips are forfeit. ????? Again, you can call it the "Good Fairy Fun and Sun Fund Contribution" for all I care but it's nothing more than pre-paid tips and gratuities.

But you don't pay gratuities. By definition gratuities are gifts, freely "given voluntarily or beyond obligation". You pay charges. Gratuities are what you give in addition to the HS Charge.

The HSC is also given voluntarily, which is why I stated earlier that the OP is free to remove the item from his bill if he so chooses. Another poster noted that HAL staff are quite used to having lots of passengers remove these items from their final bill. There isn't any obligation for anyone to pay these fees.