Can Americans 'drink the water' in Argentina?

generichandle

We cleaned our teeth in tap water without swallowing, and bought bottled water for drinking. Bottled water was available everywhere we went and we drank a lot. We asked for bottled water in restaurants or drank discreetly from the bottle we were carrying. No problems at all.

I would recommend bottled water. I do remember our guide saying that visitors do have problems with the water...something about the minerals. We were there at the end of our trip and just stuck to bottled water the entire trip except on the ship.

We spent 2 weeks all over Argentina on a land trip. On the advice of our Argentine tour leader the 16 people in our tour group drank tap water throughout the trip. Water bottles when carried were more for convenience than necessity. There was never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We spent three days in BA last year, drank the water, no problems.

We stayed in a bed and breakfast and drank the tap water for five days in Buenos Aires. We were told the water was safe. It was safe. We did not become ill at all.

You're question is a bit sweeping. It's a big country. I'm sure you know you're getting anecdotal evidence, and ultimately it's a matter of your risk acceptance level. You'll find people who drink tap water an entire trip and not have problems. You can also find people who don't take anti-malarial prophylaxis when in malaria areas and don't get sick. What conclusions you draw are up to you. We are in Brazil (my wife is Brazilian) and use tap water for toothbrushing and filtered water for drinking. We did the same in Argentina. Others did not. Of course, as in Brazil and many other countries, exact quality of water in Argentina can vary from locale to locale. When I worked in Rio several years ago, it was well publicized that the tap water at its source was safe, but that cleanliness could vary due to the pipes.

Frankly, I'd play it safe and stick to beer and wine. The water used in it is well filtered. Do keep in mind that ice in drinks may be from tap water. You can ask.

Edited by Fattony

We will arrive at Buenos Aires in 18 days; stay 2 days. Can we drink tap water at the hotel, or should we purchase bottled water for drinking, teeth etc?

Doug

Are you worried about any specific issues for just Americans about drinking the water or is it a general question for all non-Brazilians?

DON

We cleaned our teeth in tap water without swallowing, and bought bottled water for drinking. Bottled water was available everywhere we went and we drank a lot. We asked for bottled water in restaurants or drank discreetly from the bottle we were carrying. No problems at all.

We did the exact same, also ate just like normal (fruits, salads etc) with no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Most guidebooks say the water is safe to drink. I agree. I have never had a problem and I have been going to Argentina since 2001.

I do agree that water quality may vary depending on location. Never had a problem in BA, Mar del Plata, Bariloche, San Martin de los Andes, or Puerto Iguazu. I like an occasional bottle of naturally effervescent "agua mineral con gas" but that is a matter of preference not safety.

There are some countries where the water is unsafe to drink. Ecuador is a prime example. Argentina is not Ecuador.

• 4 weeks later...
Has Buenos Aires been annexed by Brazil? ;)

Well, they have fought over territory at times. I don't think Brazil would want to annex Argentina right now (the latter is having even more economic and labor problems than Brazil is).

You're asking for health-related advice from total strangers, and will get largely anecdotal evidence. You think Americans might get sick and others won't? I drank bottled water in Argentina to be on the safe side. I'm sure you'll find people who drank tap water without problems. Your risk. I've been in Brazil for years and don't drink tap water. In some cases, water may be safe at the source but the pipes can allow in contaminants. There is still some risk from water in which food is cooked (and some foods may not be completely safe, but that can happen in the U.S., as well).

I'd stick to bottled water, wine and beer. Keep in mind that ice in drinks may or may not be from purified water. It's obviously a personal decision.

Edited by Fattony

I waited too long to try and edit my previous post, so I will start over:

Although my post was somewhat in jest, the part about excellent wine in Argentina was dead serious. Don't go to Argentina without trying at least one glass of Malbec, preferably more.

There are many bodegas, but you can't go wrong wrong with a bottle of Catena, Achaval Ferrer, or Luigi Bosca Reserva Malbec. Failing one of these reliable brands, look for a malbec from the Uco Valley, Mendoza. If you prefer white and want to try something of a local specialty, Torrontes is a white unique to the area.

• 3 weeks later...
We will arrive at Buenos Aires in 18 days; stay 2 days. Can we drink tap water at the hotel, or should we purchase bottled water for drinking, teeth etc?

Doug

In most places you visit don't drink the water and that include Buenos Aries. You are also far safer to use bottled water for the brushing of your teeth.

Keith

About a month ago while on a SA cruise, a tour guide recommended that we stick to bottled water and not eat locally prepared fresh foods, because the tap water and the soil in SA contains microorganisms that may cause tourists to become sick. Local resident's bodies are accustomed to those organisms and do not suffer any ill effects from ingesting them.

Even for tooth brushing, I believe it would be wise to use bottled water. You may rinse your mouth and not swallow, but the organisms could pass thru the lining of your mouth if there are any scratches or breaks in the surface of the lining.