Silhouette Photo Review - Feb. 9-16 2014

micmacmissy

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful pictures and very witty review! We were on the ship 2 weeks b/f you with 2 other couples, so 6 altogether. We had a wonderful cruise, and it was the first time for all of us in those ports. Hubby & I had 3 other X cruises under our belts, so it was fun to share the WOW factor with our friends , who were on their first cruise. We left the port area in Falmouth on an organized culinary/historical walking tour. We really enjoyed it, and are so glad we went. In Labadee we rented a cabana and loved it. If we're ever back in Labadee we will rent one again. For $80.+/couple, your own "cabana boy" and floating mats, we thought it was a great bargain. Somehow, we missed seeing all the vendors and shopping opportunities:D. Enjoy your future cruises, and I will look forward to your future reviews!

Thanks. The cabana certainly seems more worth it split amongst 3 couples. And depending on how cute the cabana boy is, $80 is a bargain! ;)

when is the latest one should be back aboard ?

is it like an airline where one should be aboard 10 min B4 departure ?

This depends on your comfort zone. I like to be in walking distance to port 90 minutes before the ship leaves (I have a missing the boat paranoia!)

I would not chance 10 minutes before hand. You could hit traffic, taxi could break down, any number of things could happen.

That said, I was watching from my balcony before we left Cozumel, and there were probably 20 people who boarded within the last 10 minutes before sailaway. So if you're willing to take that risk, it's up to you!

On our first cruise there were two people left behind in Calica, Mexico. They stood on the pier screaming and waving their hands as we sailed away. I think that stuck with me over the years, and that's why i'm scared of missing the ship!

This depends on your comfort zone. I like to be in walking distance to port 90 minutes before the ship leaves (I have a missing the boat paranoia!)

I would not chance 10 minutes before hand. You could hit traffic, taxi could break down, any number of things could happen.

That said, I was watching from my balcony before we left Cozumel, and there were probably 20 people who boarded within the last 10 minutes before sailaway. So if you're willing to take that risk, it's up to you!

90 minutes is a bit much for me, but 60 minutes definitely (my wife would probably go with 90).

You forgot to mention the people cheering from their balconies as the last minute people returned in Cozumel. I was on the wrong side of the bump so I couldn't see who was cheering, but given that Constellation left before us, I wouldn't be surprised if it was their passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your very enjoyable review! We're on the Silhouette in June and I can't wait,

Sorry to head about the Select Dining though. Hopefully they'll improve.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by margsipie

One of the most delightful reviews! Thank you. What was the beach at Nachi like? Is it a big drop as you walk out?

Sorry for the late reply...the beach at Nachi was lovely. No drop off at all. No water shoes needed, and very calm and warm waters. Perfect!

You can also get a floating mat there.

Best part about it was that service was great and it was so uncrowded. I can't believe more folks haven't found this place!

Edited by micmacmissy
typo

Great review! We'll be on the Silhouette in June and you've given us priceless info on what to expect.

Also just want to say you have a great sense of humor, love your style and

I think you're just adorable! .

Thanks for this fun review:)

Well, thank you! You will have a great time and gorgeous weather in June. Enjoy.

PS...I think you're adorable too! ;)

Thanx so much for the great review. We are on this lady in November doing a transatlantic crossing! Even more excited now :) your humour is very "Australian", :D making it even more enjoyable!

Hope your kids have built their bridge, & plse, from all of us enjoying our freedom to book cruises, surf the net and speak our own languages - thank your hubby and his fellow soldiers for their efforts. Much appreciated. :)

Me either...I'm working my way through YOUR southern caribbean review, which is great...i'm dying to do that itinerary! :D

Thank you! It really was a great itinerary! It was nice to get two new ports (for us) - St. Croix & Grenada! We're also hooked on Celebrity now too! :)

Day 4 - Grand Cayman

Danielle was an awesome guide and really educated us about the different kinds of mangroves, how they grow, and all the cool stuff that lives in that ecosystem. We kept stopping and looking for all kinds of creatures, jellyfish, etc.

The other thing there was in the mangroves, which I was NOT a fan of, were green iguanas. Everywhere. Now, if you're a lizard person, good on you. But I think they are positively skeevy. Everyone was all "awww!" and "ohhh!" and snapping pictures right and left. I have no pictures of iguanas while kayaking, because I was too busy holding on to my paddle with a death grip in case I needed to bean one of these things in the head. Not only are they everywhere on land, but they can swim! I still get the willies thinking about seeing one of these things swim near me. Gross!

Oh, I got one shot from afar with the zoom.

DSC03256_zps34b39d51.jpg

This guy was about 3 feet long. Every six feet was another iguana, in the grass, in the trees...ewww! Danielle said that the lizard problem has gotten so bad in GC that the government will allow folks to kill, capture, or eat them. This inspired me to go back to Guest Relations on board and suggest a new shore excursion for Grand Cayman. They loved the idea, so on your next trip there, be sure to book:

Lizard Hunt and BBQ

No plans for Grand Cayman? We invite you to get up close and personal with Grand Cayman's green iguanas. Help the ecosystem by participating in a lizard shoot. Afterwards, we'll cook up our catch and have a beachfront lizard BBQ, Grand Cayman style! All guests will be provided with a pump action shotgun, eye protection, and a BBQ skewer. Souvenir "catch of the day" photo included.

OK, this is TRULY LOL material!!! :p

Thanx so much for the great review. We are on this lady in November doing a transatlantic crossing! Even more excited now :) your humour is very "Australian", :D making it even more enjoyable!

Hope your kids have built their bridge, & plse, from all of us enjoying our freedom to book cruises, surf the net and speak our own languages - thank your hubby and his fellow soldiers for their efforts. Much appreciated. :)

And thanks for your kind words about my hubby. Soldiers are the best!

You are lucky to do a TA on this ship. You'll have a great time! :)

Thank you. This is one of the best and entertaining reviews I have read.

Laundry Service: Sent hubby's flat front khakis out for a pressing with "NO CREASE" written in huge letters on the form, since he hates a crease in his khakis. They came back with a crease. That's it. I'm never sailing Celebrity again, and I want a written apology and $500 on board credit. <stamps foot>

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have read.

Thank you again!!!!

OP you have to be from the NJ/NY area, your humor is riddled with sarcasm and I love it LOL.

Thanks for this review, it was a lot of fun, and great photos. I love when good writers do a review, it makes the experience so much more pleasant!

Thank you and hope to read another in the future!

I'll be on the Silhouette in May for a 13 night Italy/Croatia cruise. Can. Not. Wait!

OP you have to be from the NJ/NY area, your humor is riddled with sarcasm and I love it LOL.

Thanks for this review, it was a lot of fun, and great photos. I love when good writers do a review, it makes the experience so much more pleasant!

Thank you and hope to read another in the future!

I'll be on the Silhouette in May for a 13 night Italy/Croatia cruise. Can. Not. Wait!

Actually Long Island, or as well like to say, lawngiland. Go Jets! :o

I can only imagine how wonderful 13 nights in Italy/Croatia would be. You should probably take me with you.

Actually Long Island, or as well like to say, lawngiland. Go Jets! :o

I can only imagine how wonderful 13 nights in Italy/Croatia would be. You should probably take me with you.

Hi

Thanks for the great review. We were also on this cruise. We live at the other end of NY.

Tom:)

I'm still wiping off the tea I spit on my computer screen from laughing so hard! Best and funniest review e-vah!

Planning on booking the Equinox in the Med. this summer. Maybe. *fingers crossed*

Oh... and by the way how much is the Lizard Hunt and BBQ excursion? Do you think it's offered in Santorini? It sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks for a really great laugh!

Edited by Renken

Have just read the entire 122 posts, :) chuckling away, enjoying your style.

Thanks for the heads-up on Labadee and Falmouth. We were at Lab. last June on Explorer of the Seas (without the Norovirus, thank you!) and did not bother to get off. Thought we might do it this time, but now I don't think so. When everyone else gets off the ship in port, and you stay on, then you have yourself a reeeeellllyl large yacht mostly all to yourself.:D

The Cozumel beach thing...Nochi G??...was that a ship's excursion or something that you did on your own? Although we loved Tulum, we are not crazy about Cozumel/Mexico after being driven nuts by vendors outside the stores on our first trip there in 1999. :mad: But I like your descriptions/photos enough to consider it.

Wouln't you love to chuck...ah...trip (ooh, so sorry!) a few chair-hogs over the side? On one of our last cruises, on a sea day, where we lounged under the deck by the pool in the shade,I noticed an older couple ahead of us on two loungers in the sun for a number of hours. They slapped lotion on themselves, went off for lunch etc. No different from anyone else really...Then, didn't they get up later in the p.m. and move back into two more loungers in the shade near us, that had stuff piled on them in waiting all that time with no one using them. That's the most selfish chair hogging I had ever seen. I certainly hoped for a lengthy hemorrhoidal flare-up for each of them, I can tell you! I am sure that we all know what it is like to search around for loungers on a crowded sea day with many unoccupied chairs just sitting there laden with stuff....

It was really good of you to supply pictures and to take the time to write a review.

Thanks again,

Bill

Edited by spearmint

can you tell me about the live music venues and what kind of music they played at night

thanks

We really liked the Ensemble Lounge at night...good bar service and good music! There was a trio of female singers that were good, a jazz group one night...and I can't remember the other act, but we enjoyed them. We avoided the DJ/nightclub scene and far prefer the lounge music!

The Cozumel beach thing...Nochi G??...was that a ship's excursion or something that you did on your own? Although we loved Tulum, we are not crazy about Cozumel/Mexico after being driven nuts by vendors outside the stores on our first trip there in 1999. :mad: But I like your descriptions/photos enough to consider it.

It was Nachi Cocom, and we booked it privately. If you go on to the Cozumel board you can read all about it. If you google them you'll find their website; I think we paid a $20/pp deposit to secure the reservation. We paid the rest in cash when we arrived. That price includes chair, umbrella, all the drinks you want, and lunch. Lunch was great...order the fajitas! They have a restaurant area...but they'll also bring your lunch right to you on the beach if you can't tear away from your lounger. :)

They only take 100 guests a day, so it keeps it peaceful. As for getting there, the 4 of us jumped in a cab for about $16 and less than a 10 minute ride and we were there. (It is right near the Chankanaab resort area.) When you're ready to leave, anyone at Nachi can call you a cab...ours arrived within minutes and we were off. Very easy to do, and we didn't encounter ANY pushy vendors! There are lots of vendors in the port area, but none of them were pushy at all. I bought a Christmas ornament and some sunglasses...no problems there.

Edited by micmacmissy