Pens or biros in hand luggage confiscated at security screening at the airport in US

Guest zafra63

Guest zafra63

What are your experiences with this. It hasn't happen to me, but some friends who are cruising a lot , they had pens taken from them. It seems strange, we travel a lot, never experienced any hassle with this. Please give me your thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no idea what a biro is. I regularly travel with a ballpoint pen or two in my hand luggage, for filling out customs forms, etc. Never had any problem whatsoever. Never. Nowhere in the world. I imagine many people also travel with the "pens" used on tablet computers, etc.

Now, if I had an old-style fountain pen, or a James Bond-style shooting pen, there could be some delays.

Edited by Fattony

I have no idea what a biro is. I regularly travel with a ballpoint pen or two in my hand luggage, for filling out customs forms, etc. Never had any problem whatsoever. Never. Nowhere in the world. I imagine many people also travel with the "pens" used on tablet computers, etc.

Now, if I had an old-style fountain pen, or a James Bond-style shooting pen, there could be some delays.

I know that bíró means "judge" in Hungarian ;) Ah yes, finally my knowledge of the Hungarian language comes in handy. Aside from within my family or my travels to Hungary, that happens about once a decade...

Aside from that, I have no idea.

Edited by Zach1213

That's interesting. I've never heard the word before.

To answer the OP-I usually have a BOX of cheapo pens in my carryon with my computer and paperwork. IIRC, one time TSA looked at them but certainly they have never been confiscated.

Confiscating pens would make an international flight an interesting experience. The FA only have a couple of pens each. How would everyone get their Customs forms filled out?

TSA says they don't confiscate, you are asked to voluntarily give up your item - if you want to keep it, it is your decision and you won't fly...

This is the first time I've ever heard of pen relinquishment. Like others, I carry one or two all the time in my daypack or purse.

Edited by slidergirl

I've traveled worldwide (including Oz), always with a cheap pen or two in my carry-on. It's never been questioned in any way including hundreds of flights here in the US.

Since OP is from Australia, several differences to be aware of with airport security within, to, and from the USA:

- There are liquid restrictions for carry-on luggage. A single, 1 liter transparent bag, one per passenger, maximum container size in the bag is 100ml.

- There is no concern over aerosol cans being capped and intact.

Caveat with any liquids exceeding the restriction which are purchased before or during your flight to the US. If you have an onward connecting flight, they must be transferred to your checked luggage when it's briefly in your possession clearing Customs. Otherwise it will be confiscated going through security again (the situation at almost all US international arrival airports).

Kenish, I could be wrong, but I thought I read last week about the duty free carry on rule being relaxed as far as liquids go. Had to be in the sealed bag with receipt stapled to the exterior, blah blah blah. Maybe I misread. Anyone know for sure?

TSA says they don't confiscate, you are asked to voluntarily give up your item - if you want to keep it, it is your decision and you won't fly...

This is the first time I've ever heard of pen relinquishment. Like others, I carry one or two all the time in my daypack or purse.

Kind of like being questioned by the police. You might not be under arrest, but you aren't necessarily fee to go.

Kenish, I could be wrong, but I thought I read last week about the duty free carry on rule being relaxed as far as liquids go. Had to be in the sealed bag with receipt stapled to the exterior, blah blah blah. Maybe I misread. Anyone know for sure?

It's true for inbound international passengers:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

Inbound international changes

Beginning January 31, 2014, passengers traveling internationally into the United States with a connecting flight will be permitted to carry liquids in excess of 100 mL in their carry-on baggage, provided they were purchased in duty-free shops and placed in secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs).

Technological advances may allow passengers to keep these liquids in their carry-on baggage, provided they are presented in a STEB and are able to be screened and cleared by Transportation Security Officers at the checkpoint.

Liquids that cannot be screened and cleared will not be allowed to remain in a passenger’s carry-on baggage. Passengers may elect to place these items into checked baggage, if available, or forfeit them prior to entering the secure area of the airport. This may include liquids in opaque, ceramic, or metallic bottles, or other containers that cannot be effectively scanned.

Thanks, I hadn't heard about the new rules on duty-free and connecting flights.

However, the TSA wording is "weasly" and full of wiggle room. First, they say you can do it...then say you *may* be allowed to keep them in your carryon...then say if their technology or your container doesn't allow screening the item will be confiscated...and you *may* want to transfer it to your checked luggage.

Hardly a "for sure" statement from TSA!

You also have to remember how long it's going to take to "train" the TSA clerks on this…they aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack for the most part. "the rule doesn't apply to our airport", "that rule was not enacted", etc… Just like it took a loooong time for clerks to realize a Global Entry card was a valid piece of ID to be presented at the ID checkpoint…

• 2 weeks later...