Personal Mini Fans

WayneFougere

Ruth, I just ordered yours from Amazon with one click. It never occurred to me to get something like this, so, as usual, I'm still learning from the CC people. I'll be doing the Canal on Amsterdam in April and I well remember the heat in that part of the world. If I'd had one on our Amazon River cruise I wouldn't have missed Charles and Camilla from our balcony. Sat there watching all the soldiers in riot gear waiting for them to show up for their boat ride from that pier and finally got so uncomfortable we just went back into the cabin to cool off and missed her royal wave. Such a loss.:)

I wonder how long the batteries last -- especially if you are on a 21 day cruise + 5 days pre and post cruise?

For a trip that long, I would put a set of batteries in the fan, and take two more sets---just in case. I fully expect that I would be bringing home unused batteries.

Of course, all depends on how much you use the fan. Some areas don't need the fan running constantly, or even at all. If there's a nice breeze on the balcony, there's no need for the fan. We all know the ship can be cool inside in some of the public areas in the evening.

In other words, you would not be running the fan 24/7. I've never had the batteries go dead on me while I was using the fan, but I have an extra set with me.

If on Monday I'm still hot on the trail, I'll consider doing an online purchase.

It's only a few dollars. If you have a credit card with a low limit, and use it only for on-line purchases, there is little to lose.

Try it! You may even learn to love on-line shopping!

For a trip that long, I would put a set of batteries in the fan, and take two more sets---just in case. I fully expect that I would be bringing home unused batteries.

Of course, all depends on how much you use the fan. Some areas don't need the fan running constantly, or even at all. If there's a nice breeze on the balcony, there's no need for the fan. We all know the ship can be cool inside in some of the public areas in the evening.

In other words, you would not be running the fan 24/7. I've never had the batteries go dead on me while I was using the fan, but I have an extra set with me.

Thank you

I was checking them out on Magellans as a catalog just came in.

Mot sure how often I would use one -- DH has a medication where every once in a while he has terrible "Hot Flashes".

CAA in Ontario sells a " The Micro Fan is the world's smallest and lightest travel pocket fan. The fan will deliver a refreshing breeze when you most need it! Retractable blades. Item X8271 ". Perhaps check with CAA in Vancouver or Richmond. The price is $12.69. I think I will pick one up for my husband for our cruise and for myself!

Here is photo (if it works).

260.ashx

I tried that one, and then loved it so much that I bought several more (for family and to have extras).

I just bought one like RuthC's on Amazon for a little over $9. I have a prime membership, so that included shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DGPWLK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a straw fan in Pago Pago last year that is very effective in hot weather. I'm taking that, too, on our next cruise. But, the little battery operated one will come in very handy, too!

My little fan just arrived today, and I LOVE it! Quiet, strong air flow, very lightweight. You can put the 4 batteries in the nooks and crannies of the plastic case it comes in. It will go in my carry-on.

Thank you, RuthC!

My little fan just arrived today, and I LOVE it! Quiet, strong air flow, very lightweight. You can put the 4 batteries in the nooks and crannies of the plastic case it comes in. It will go in my carry-on.

Thank you, RuthC!

Glad you like it. :)

It works! It works!

Next trip will take me to the South Pacific, so I'm going to buy those "neck banderoos" and see how they work, too. The reports are good. They are a neck scarf with a long-lasting cooling agent wrapped inside.

I was at our local CAA this morning and there were a few varieties of small fan, one just like the pic posted above by bajacali and JDINWA. I bought 2 more in their sale bin for less than $9 each and it is BOGO this week so one was 50% off.

I was at our local CAA this morning and there were a few varieties of small fan, one just like the pic posted above by bajacali and JDINWA. I bought 2 more in their sale bin for less than $9 each and it is BOGO this week so one was 50% off.

Hi, have you tried them yet? Wondering how good the air flow is. Good price.

Hi, have you tried them yet? Wondering how good the air flow is. Good price.

I just put my own batteries in one of them as the batteries that came with it were generic and one had leaked:eek:

Boy does it work:D I held a paper table napkin in front and it went horizontal immediately.

Brand is - three way fan by Design GO. You can use it freestanding, handheld or hands free (it comes with a detachable neck cord). The blades are soft and flexible and the fan can be adjustable to 3 positions.

Non member price was $12.99

Member price was $10.99

sale price was $8.48

I just put my own batteries in one of them as the batteries that came with it were generic and one had leaked:eek:

Boy does it work:D I held a paper table napkin in front and it went horizontal immediately.

Brand is - three way fan by Design GO. You can use it freestanding, handheld or hands free (it comes with a detachable neck cord). The blades are soft and flexible and the fan can be adjustable to 3 positions.

Non member price was $12.99

Member price was $10.99

sale price was $8.48

Thanks very much. They sound perfect. I will get to a CAA this week and hope they have them.

Help me. Is CAA the Canadian Automobile Association? I'm a member because of road side service but never thought about travel products.

Yes. They have stores where they have travel agents, travel gear and a counter where you can pick up maps, buy insurance, etc. Their website lists the locations in your area. The one closest to me is pretty good while I hear other locations don't have as much in the travel gear.

Hope yours does.

Re: personal fans

Go on WEB to The Cooling store.com...They also have a web site

The Warming store.Com ..I have used them for several items and found the Products very good.............I have seen several T/V people using their Cold Weather products at Football games to stay warm and I am sure that they would have the products to stay cool, in fact I got several items for my last cruise Winter cruise to the Carib. last year

Neil

Ruth's little fan arrived today from Amazon and it works just great. Yesterday I got a pack of 40 AA batteries at Costco for $11. They can be stored for ten years. AAA also $11, but only 32 in the package. I do believe I'm set for life!

Enjoy it. I'm going to add the neck banderoo for my South Pacific cruise coming up. A girl can't be too cool!

I seem to go through AA batteries like chocolate, but it's my computer mouse that eats them up. I always have a baggie of them in my end table, then I grab the baggie when I take the fan along to church. It's quiet enough to use the entire service.

Edited by RuthC

I found two fans at Wanderlust. I didn't buy the really cheap one. The other one has a misting function. Is that a waste of water in a humid place like Panama or is it a worthwhile feature? I'll continue looking to see if other stores have the fans that have been the most commonly mentioned here.ImageUploadedByForums1393101589.673668.jpg.b67c3146b4f602999ee1060d2771f84a.jpg

I'm finished shopping for a fan.

It seems Vancouver is a backwater (at least this time of year) if you're in the market for a handheld travel fan. There are no fans in Dollarama until the summer. Travelon products are sold in a Metrotown Luggage store but they didn't have the fan that Ruth loves; so out of frustration, I order two of the fans from Amazon.ca. The website says 3 to 4 weeks delivery; so knowing how things can be delayed, I hope they arrive before the cruise!

One thing the luggage store did have (and I bought) was the micro fan that jDinWA and bajacali really like. There's only one speed but it seems powerful for such a small unit and a single AAA battery. Its small enough to keep in my pocket, so I'm likely to have it when needed!

ImageUploadedByForums1393191065.243243.jpg.6a246fcfeab5bd8c9d54c51027b6bf8a.jpg