Risky Question: Do you feel that Silversea is financially stable?

Travelcat2

Sneaky, slimy,infuriating, possibly illegal: outrageous. We have zero problems adamantly demanding that this so called Charity Charge be removed from our bill. We go to Reception the day we sail. They are always pleasantly cooperative. After we have been assured that our request has been fully understood, we then ask for a significant amount to be donated to the Crew Fund. As a precaution my husband uses a credit card on the spot. We always receive an acknowledgement and a thank you within a few days. We have been told that our donation, but I presume not the amount, has been posted in the crew quarters. Usually several of the crew personally thank one or both of us. This feels good and right to us, and is a pleasure to do it.

In all the years of my blasting away at this underhanded entrapment, I only remember one poster siding with this charge. They felt that it was only $1.00 a day! Do the math. Two people (mostly) per cabin per day x 365 days per year on 7, soon to be 8 ships. Do I sound furious? You bet I am!

Thanks for reminding us all that this rip off is still going merrily along. Certainly revs my otherwise slavishly loyal engines!

Like yourself, too many people do not know or pay attention to this. I am not against giving to charity -- perhaps even this charity but I do not like anyone charging me first and then having to ask to opt out. There was a very long thread on this subject a year or two ago. Few, if any, posters were in favor of the way Silversea was handling this. It wasn't about the amount of money or the charity, it was just seemed a bit slimey somehow. Whether telling your butler or the front desk that you want to opt out or signing and handing the paper to someone...... it did not make me feel comfortable.

Again, this issue isn't going to keep me away from Silversea but does show, at least on this subject, lack of concern by the parent company of what their customers think.

This can be Googled & this charity does not show up on the IRS approval list. Plus an answering machine is the only contact in their Ft Lauderdale office (?) & no one returns calls to answer questions. At least when I tried.

I probably should not intrude, as I am not likely to travel with Silversea again, but I was surprised to read, after many posts a while ago about this 'charity', that it is still a bone of contention.

It was just one of quite a few things that we did not like about Silversea, and I think probably most of them are to do with the fact that it is, I believe, still in private ownership.

SOOOOO glad to hear this! I can now calm down. And from now on we will donate to the Crew Fund without getting furious at the terrible "Charity Charge" first! A voluntary donation to the crew reaches everyone and is used for everything from crew parties to family emergencies.

BTW: we never objected to the owner's setting up a foundation to benefit a personal charity, as we have done the same thing to benefit three causes which are extremely important to us. A simple invitation to passengers to join in their efforts would be uncomfortable but basically okay. We could respect that. (Not that we would donate a nickel) Let's hope that the unseemly coercion has finally been stopped.

An update on the charity from my 2 segments on the 2014 WC.

I got a glossy brochure and an invitation to donate. Nothing was automatically charged to my account. Doing nothing gives the expected result (nothing.) If you care to donate, you must act.

We were on the nov.cruise( Hi mariann) and when I got my bill,didn't pay attention and got billed,small amount of money but that's not the point.I emailed Silversea but got ,nada, nothing . I love Silversea but they evidently don't care.

This thread started on a really interesting subject-the corporate status of SS. Unfortunately it has reverted to rants about SS charity a subject we all beat to death several years ago.

I will try to get it back on track by commenting on my discussion with Mr. Lefebrve on a cruise several years ago, "we have no intention of selling or going public" (the same result).

Of course everyone has the right to change their mind, he certainly didn't sound as if that was likely. He also was surrounded by family and having a wonderful time on the Wind in the Norwegian fjords.

I will try to get it back on track by commenting on my discussion with Mr. Lefebrve on a cruise several years ago, "we have no intention of selling or going public" (the same result).

And what exactly would you expect him to say to a concerned Silversea customer on one of his cruse ships if his intention was different?

I wasn't concerned . We were discussing the cruise business and how a family business could realize its equity. I understand your skepticism, and I may be naïve, but being in the financial arena myself I enjoyed my conversation and saw no reason to think he was dissembling. The proof is that a few years later nothing has happened.

You may make of it what you wish and considering your many posts I'm sure you will.

We were on the nov.cruise( Hi mariann) and when I got my bill,didn't pay attention and got billed,small amount of money but that's not the point.I emailed Silversea but got ,nada, nothing . I love Silversea but they evidently don't care.

Reverting back to the rants to say hi to my friend billcrooz -- evidently he is Oblivious.....:-):)

And now back on track about the family business: amazes me that so many know so much about what is strictly private.

Reverting back to the rants to say hi to my friend billcrooz -- evidently he is Oblivious.....:-):)

And now back on track about the family business: amazes me that so many know so much about what is strictly private.

I always thought there was omertà in La Familia!😱

I feel that everything that has been posted is relevant to the topic. After all, in order to recommend a cruise line, there should not be any hidden issues such as the charity. And, although it wasn't my intention to specifically bring up the charity, however, isn't it important to let posters new to the board be aware of this hidden charge?

The last time we were on Silversea was 5 months ago. At that time the charity fee existed and we did opt out. Perhaps in Italy it is not offensive to put a charge on someone's bill that they did not pre-approve. But, IMO, if you are doing business with countries where this practice is almost illegal (perhaps it is illegal in the U.S. -- not sure), I would think that Silversea would not have a policy that is offensive to some (most?) customers.

Silversea is a wonderful product (IMO) -- I think it would attract more customers if it could improve the perception it has with the luxury cruising market. Again, just an opinion.

I have not read all of the posts so this may have been covered. I do remember a great concern in the mid 2000's when some ships were taken out of service.

This is one of the advantages of booking travel insurance with a third party company within the required window which is usually within two to three weeks of the time you make your deposit with a. Insurance company which will reimburse you should a cruise line go belly up.

Keith

The appropriate question then would be "would you recommend SS"; not "is SS financially stable".

That isn't the question I am being asked! Yes - I recommend Silversea but when we have to sit in a smoking section because most of the heaters are not working in Hot Rocks (Shadow, September, 2013) and ships are being purchased from used car (oops ship) lots, it does make people question Silversea's financial stability.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jacquie, The charity has nothing to do with SS finances or management stability. If you are responding to inquirers about the financial well being of the line it's immaterial; if you are being asked about SS as a vacation, of course it could be important