Another Visa Rewards Question

tdmullins

I redeemed some of my points for the $500 cruise discount. Will this be refunded back to my credit card or as OBC? I noticed on my account Monday I had -500 as my outstanding balance. But yesterday and today it said 0, with my package total 500 less. Nothing has showed up on my credit card yet, so I was wondering if should keep watching my CC balance or not if it is going on my account as OBC.

Thanks!

I redeemed some of my points for the $500 cruise discount. Will this be refunded back to my credit card or as OBC? I noticed on my account Monday I had -500 as my outstanding balance. But yesterday and today it said 0, with my package total 500 less. Nothing has showed up on my credit card yet, so I was wondering if should keep watching my CC balance or not if it is going on my account as OBC.

Thanks!

Am I understanding you correctly, when I interpret what you did to mean that you 'paid in full for the cruise', then redeemed BofA points in the value of $500 to go towards your cruise, expecting either a credit on your credit card or an OBC with Royal?

I have never done that. I have always used the $500 redemption as a mid payment, before the final payment is due, to lower the final amount I have to pay. Just did exactly that; got confirmation and now waiting for it to be credited to my cruise account.

Let us know how your worked out.

The problem with redeeming after payment is that the credit goes back to the same credit card, which will end up subtracting points. I don't know what happens if that results in negative points.

The problem with redeeming after payment is that the credit goes back to the same credit card, which will end up subtracting points. I don't know what happens if that results in negative points.

With the RCI credit card, a $500 credit from RCI will result in the loss of 1000 points which is subtracted from the current points balance.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks guys. This is the first time I have redeemed points after I have paid in full too. (I booked and paid for this cruise after final payment.)

I made a large purchase in January that put me over $75,000 points. So my plan was to wait until they came out of pending in February and use them towards the free companion fare, which at that point would have been $900. But in the meantime Junior Suite's went on sale and I got one for the same price I paid for my balcony. But this meant I was now in the "discount" category because this was a weekend sale that RCL was having.

So I thought no big deal I would use my points for the $500 discount and $250 OBC. Of course this is less than the $900 I would have got with my companion fare. But I thought it was a fair trade to get a JS for the same price as my balcony.

I still have 6000 points in my account so the 1000 point deduction won't make me go into the negative or anything. But I will be honest, I had not thought about that. But it doesn't bother me because technically I wouldn't have gotten those points anyway if I had applied the points before I paid in full.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on my card balance.

Another question regarding the BofA RCCL Visa.

When you log into your BofA account and view the card info, do you have a section or a tab for Rewards or do you go to another site for that?

I just recently got this card but already had several other BofA Reward cards. All those have a Reward section within the account info page and you can transfer points between cards. This RCCL card doesn't have this. So just wanted to see if its just me or if its like that for everyone.

Another question regarding the BofA RCCL Visa.

When you log into your BofA account and view the card info, do you have a section or a tab for Rewards or do you go to another site for that?

I just recently got this card but already had several other BofA Reward cards. All those have a Reward section within the account info page and you can transfer points between cards. This RCCL card doesn't have this. So just wanted to see if its just me or if its like that for everyone.

Here is the link from the RCI website MyCruiseSM Rewards You will sign in just as if you were signing in on the BofA site using the same User ID and password. You can always call the RCI Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626 if you have any questions.

Edited by cruisenfever

Here is the link from the RCI website MyCruiseSM Rewards You will sign in just as if you were signing in on the BofA site using the same User ID and password. You can always call the RCI Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626 if you have any questions.

Thanks. I had that link. Was just wondering if anyone has the option to view the rewards info straight from the main BofA online banking site instead of going to another site. Guess not. I was hoping I could transfer points from my other BofA cards to this one. Wishful thinking :D

Thanks. I had that link. Was just wondering if anyone has the option to view the rewards info straight from the main BofA online banking site instead of going to another site. Guess not. I was hoping I could transfer points from my other BofA cards to this one. Wishful thinking :D

You can only review your rewards options on the RCI site. You can review your points total on both BofA and RCI.

So here is what I see when viewing the RCCL Visa through BofA - no rewards info, tab, or link there.

The other screenshot shows what I see when viewing other BofA credit cards. There is a rewards info and tab. They all appear after login to BofA

RCCL_BofA.jpg.213417448fe966d1d6cd4ef948fec9ec.jpg

Other_BofA_Card.jpg.11b7bebb02b0aae0d012f3495cf96fac.jpg

Thanks guys. This is the first time I have redeemed points after I have paid in full too. (I booked and paid for this cruise after final payment.)

I made a large purchase in January that put me over $75,000 points. So my plan was to wait until they came out of pending in February and use them towards the free companion fare, which at that point would have been $900. But in the meantime Junior Suite's went on sale and I got one for the same price I paid for my balcony. But this meant I was now in the "discount" category because this was a weekend sale that RCL was having.

So I thought no big deal I would use my points for the $500 discount and $250 OBC. Of course this is less than the $900 I would have got with my companion fare. But I thought it was a fair trade to get a JS for the same price as my balcony.

I still have 6000 points in my account so the 1000 point deduction won't make me go into the negative or anything. But I will be honest, I had not thought about that. But it doesn't bother me because technically I wouldn't have gotten those points anyway if I had applied the points before I paid in full.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on my card balance.

Did you have a C and A balcony discount on this reservation?

I was wondering as now a lot of these awards are not combinable with a some C and A benefits

Thanks.

To make sure I am clear, you don't have to go request the paper certificates to get an onboard credit anymore? You can just log into the website and purchase the upgrade, onboard credit, etc?

Correct, there are no more paper certificates. All electronic now.

Those paper certificates weren't used the last time I requested a redemption, which was 2 years ago. And I just did it again, no certificates needed....confirmation email received within minutes....then looking for it on my reservation balance (takes up to a week or so).

Thanks for the update. The paper process made it almost not worth it having to order the certificate and then mailing it back and hoping it was received and process. This is great.

Just a note on the electronic redemption form. There's no space for booking number, so I enter that in the free form "Notes" field.

So here is what I see when viewing the RCCL Visa through BofA - no rewards info, tab, or link there.

The other screenshot shows what I see when viewing other BofA credit cards. There is a rewards info and tab. They all appear after login to BofA

On the BoA site you can view your current points. They will show on your most recent statement. I do find it easier to just log into the MyRewards site.

• 2 weeks later...

Patti, do you apply your points for on-board credit before you sail or do it at the desk when you get on board.

Patti, do you apply your points for on-board credit before you sail or do it at the desk when you get on board.

If you want to redeem points for an OBC, you still need to do it BEFORE you cruise. The desk (Guest Accommodations desk on board, is what I am guessing you mean), has nothing to do with the point redemption process.