Transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral and Return

Bali505

*DISNEY FANTASY*

I just booked a rental car for two nights pre-cruise for $100.00 from MCO and drop off at Port Canaveral through Budget and for a few hours the morning of disembarkment from the Port to MCO for $40.00. This seemed to be the cheapest route for the four of us.

1) Having said that does anyone know the "usual" time the ship is cleared and one can get off the ship if we walk our own luggage off? I know many factors play into this but on average?

2) Better to drop off passengers at the Port and then the driver returns the car and shuttles back to the port or everyone go together?

3) Upon return should everyone go to the car rental place or just the driver?

TIA

All of these responses are personal opinion, but....

Have driver drop off passengers and luggage at the terminal. This means you only have to load the luggage once (into rental car). AND the family can enter and be in the check in line or even get everyone checked in while the driver returns the car. Finally, it is easy to have a spot in the shuttle for one person/no luggage while a family may have to wait for the next shuttle.

If you take the gang to the car place, you have to unload the luggage from rental car into shuttle and from shuttle to terminal porter. Yes, they help with this, but more time, more bag transfers, more chance to forget something, etc. And if you have a family and 5 pieces of luggage, you may wait for next shuttle. Driver alone with no luggage can almost always get on board.

After cruise, ship is normally cleared by 7:30. Car rental place isn't open that early. Have the family and luggage go out to the shuttle pick up location. If you can all get on the shuttle together, then put everyone on. What often happens is that the shuttle "fills," but there are one or two seats left. In that case, have the driver take one of the seats with no luggage. Get to the car place, hop off, and be the first in line. Use cell phone to talk to other adult and advise them as to whether to take the next shuttle or to wait for the driver to pick them up (depends on how long car pick up is taking). I've had car pick up take less than 10 minutes and as much as an hour. The hour was because there was an idiot occupying one clerk--he had not reserved a car but was being insistent about renting one; she was equally insistent that they had no cars except those with reservations.

FYI, it is very common to be upgraded with a Budget rental from CC5 to MCO--they need to get a particular vehicle back to the airport, so you get it. Also, Budget operates 2 shuttles on cruise days (assuming both are operational and no one has called in sick!) That and their close location mean little waiting.

Question for you--I'm not finding rates that good for our date. Did you have a coupon code or anything helpful for your rental?

Edited by moki'smommy

There are so many factors that influence your decisions in this instance. Is mom comfortable managing kids in terminal while dad deals with car? Are kids cooperative (going thru security, etc.) Mom won't have luggage issues beyond the carry on--the checked bags will be handed off to the porter.

Another possibility, if you prefer to keep the family together, is that you can drop the luggage at the terminal and then take the gang to the car return place. This saves having to unload the luggage twice, but keeps the group intact. In my experience, returning the car took next to no time. They usually have the luggage on the shuttle and are waiting for the return person! But remember that the return place is small, the restroom is a one seater "just OK," and not a good place for kids to be hanging out.

Other tips--sign up for Budget's loyalty program--it saves tons of time at MCO. Also, there is a Racetrac gas station right next to Budget when you return the car at PC. When going to the airport, do not stop at the gas stations closest to the airport. They seriously jack up the prices (like more than $1 extra!). If you drive another 1/2 mile, you'll find stations selling at the going rate. And SAVE your gas receipt. They don't usually check at Cape Canaveral, but they do at the airport. No receipt = minimum charge...I think $13.99...even though the gauge says "full."

Sorry I totally missed your very last question on your original response-I had a code for Budget....Y937800 let me know if it works for you:) I ended up saving about $50.00.

You RULE!

I tried all my codes and got $3 off on a $65 (total cost) rental. Used your code and it took $16 off. Thanks! Took total cost for our one way rental down to $43 including all taxes, etc.

What ships have you sailed on and what lines? Do you have your own Disney tip/trick guide that you would be willing to share or are they mostly covered on the tip thread on CC?

The only line I've done in the last 10 years other than DCL has been Celebrity. I did other lines prior to that, but it isn't fair to compare a cruise 10+ years ago to what is happening now. DCL definitely raised the bar for family type cruising.

Most things are covered here in one form or another. Little stuff--anything you want can be added to your reservation as a request (dining rotation, table as "just our family," midship cabin if you booked guarantee, etc) They will tell you it is just a request and cannot be promised. Fine--list the request. Most of the time, you'll get it.

One nice thing is that we've been on DCL enough that we know who to talk to in order to make something happen. For example, we wanted tickets to gingerbread houses on a Christmas cruise and were told they were all gone. This was 1 pm on embarkation day. My daughter totally surprised me by talking to an officer friend and asking if he could do anything. A ticket was delivered to our room! In fairness, they DID get in those families who lined up without tickets, but it was really sweet of them to get one for us.

There are always things that are better than DCL and things that are worse. We were laughing with a manager who used to work on Celebrity. HE commented that Celebrity has better food but DCL has better service--we totally agree with this. DCL has better entertainment and kid programming, fireworks, and first run movies.

If there is anything needed in your cabin, talk to Guest Services or your stateroom host. Some hosts are better than others, and they are the entry level guest interaction position. SO if you aren't getting what you need from the host, don't hesitate to talk to the housekeeping supervisor for your floor or guest services.

We are SO bad. We request our favorite servers. We try to be kind (like asking in advance), but if something is being served anywhere on the ship in the evening and you ask, it can be procured for you (OK, no Remy food will flow to a main dining room). But stuff like...8 year old loved broccoli. Server got her broccoli every night. We commented that we were sad to see one of our favorites had been removed from the menu--next night, it showed up on our table.

Talk to your servers. Getting to know them is part of the fun. Our team on our last cruise had a head server and server from Croatia. When the ship was in Dubrovnik, everyone at our table got matching "Croatia" t-shirts, and they were purchased for the servers too. (I can't take credit for this idea--it wasn't mine). We all showed up at dinner wearing our shirts, but the real hit was when the CMs were presented with them. They were so happy that the ship had gone to their country, they got to see family that hadn't been seen for a long time, and from their reactions, you would have thought these shirts were total gold. Normally, I say to tip the CMs, not to buy/give them stuff....but this was really special. Ask them about their families, their background, etc. You'll be surprised at what you hear.

Want to know where free/cheap internet is in port? Servers/stateroom hosts know. Officers don't have a clue!

On long cruises, I bring along some laundry detergent. Leftovers? Offer it to your stateroom host (the line launders their "costumes" but they need to do personal laundry.) Again--very appreciated.

Saving money on ship--carry your camera everywhere. Character attendants are happy to take photos with your camera. You can even get some photos that may be better than the professional ones. Rainforest is great, but they need to re-think the pricing. I've seen it go from $8 to $16 per day. Sorry, but $16 is too much. Multi-day passes are actually a better deal than a length of cruise pass if you miss even one day on the length of cruise. The showers in the locker rooms are great! Much nicer than the ones in the staterooms.

I don't even know what else to say....ask any questions you have.

hybrid solution that may work for you

this works because you CAN 'self debark' once the ship is cleared and anytime thereafter . . . IF YOU CAN CARRY EVERYTHING

So one person makes the sprint to get off ASAP and carries what they can. there are a BUNCH of folks making the sprint so getting ONE seat on the shuttle is easier. Once you have your car and are heading back for the pickup CELL PHONE spouse and have the rest of the party head out. Odds are you'll get to the curb about the same time

you'll need separate customs forms and remember to keep your passports etc in the correct pockets . . . since you'll be clearing ICE separately

variation

you can have your stuff taken off the regular way and get as early a group as possible

but still have ONE leave as soon as 'carry off' opens

do the cell phone thing

and use a porter if necessary (sure, it might cost you a $5 tip .... worth it if in a huge hurry??)

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt. BJ, I don't think I've ever found an error in anything you've posted....but there are no "groups" for disembarkation at Port Canaveral. Each family is free to leave the ship when they have finished breakfast provided that Customs has cleared the ship.

I guess it is possible that things have changed recently, but we've never been assigned a "group" time on DCL. They did assign groups at some ports where they didn't have their usual terminal facilities and could not off load all the luggage at the same time.

Thank you both so much! Any particular dining rotation you recommend moki'smommy? We are not planning on hitting Palo/Remy.

OK, I'll put on my flame resistant suit. I think people make way too big a deal out of "which rotation." Yes, it is nice to be in the fanciest restaurant (in this case, Royal Court) on formal night, but frankly, it's not a big thing. Especially on the newer ships, two restaurants are very "upscale" in decor if you care.

I make a request for my one of my favorite servers. This is becoming more difficult as they change ships, etc. Now, we just get a rotation on our KTTW card. Then, we find out if our favorite head server is on board by going to dining changes. If so, we simply ask him to give us "someone good." He knows that means relatively fast and efficient and that we want the food hot. We book Palo in advance, then look at how that works with the rotation. If there is an issue, we ask them whether it's easier to move our rotation or our Palo and let them fix it. We also have a favorite Palo server, and we do request her each time.

And the one time we got on board and NO ONE we knew seemed to be there (servers, head servers), we happened to see a different but good Palo server in the hall and asked her who we should request. She added another jewel to our favorite list.

Our problem these days is some of our favorite long timers leaving the line or being not on that ship. When it was 2 ships, we could even track when vacations were scheduled. Now, we have a much harder time predicting.

OK, rotations....the first night is a little crazy. I would prefer to not start at Animator's as I want to really be able to enjoy my time there. And I don't want to miss Animator's for Palo. Beyond that, I don't really care. We usually schedule Palo on pirate night because that is our least favorite of the 7 night menus. On longer cruises, we pick something in advance but then move it if we choose.

And if you find you are hungry before late dining time, DO go to Cabanas/Topsiders for dinner one night. It is NOT a buffet at dinner; it is a table service with a salad bar. The menu is about 2/3 of the items from the regular menu. The food preparation and service is superb and we enjoyed watching the sunset and dining in quiet as well as being able to eat at 7:30. It is a casual, walk in restaurant, not open on first or last night of the cruise.

Thank you for the reassurance I myself didn't think it was a huge deal but then kept reading more and more about it and then got a little excited!Just curious do you live in Florida?

Edited by Bali505

My sister and I say that all of the time!! We have an 11:30 international flight the morning we disembark I am already nervous about it but the price was too cheap to give up!

That can (and probably will) work, but it is cutting things close. Be off the ship with your luggage as soon as they open the doors for self disembarkation. Go thru Customs and immediately to the Budget shuttle pick up spot (you'll know it because it is the same place you were dropped off). Driver--hop off the shuttle and leave the rest of the gang to deal with luggage; have all your car rental paperwork ready to go. Drive past first gas stations at airport area--1/2 mile farther down the road will be MUCH better prices. Then to Budget garage at the airport.

The good thing is that car drop off at MCO takes virtually no time at all. We have had the agent at our car before we had our luggage out! The garage is immediately across the street from the terminal, so almost no walking there.

Just be cautious to shave off those minutes when you can.

• 6 months later...

Does Disney offer a shuttle from MCO to port? If so how much and any good or bad experiences? Does the shuttle have seats you can strap a car seat into?

Planning to go with DH and DD who'll be 11 months so we will have a bunch of her gear.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive past first gas stations at airport area--1/2 mile farther down the road will be MUCH better prices. Then to Budget garage at the airport.

The good thing is that car drop off at MCO takes virtually no time at all. We have had the agent at our car before we had our luggage out! The garage is immediately across the street from the terminal' date=' so almost no walking there.

Just be cautious to shave off those minutes when you can.[/quote']

There is a new WaWa gas station along that stretch of road that has very competitive prices. You should avoid the first couple of stations as their prices are more like highway robbery, charging over $5/gal.

Does Disney offer a shuttle from MCO to port? If so how much and any good or bad experiences? Does the shuttle have seats you can strap a car seat into?

Planning to go with DH and DD who'll be 11 months so we will have a bunch of her gear.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCL transfers do go from MCO to port. It costs $35.00 per person. Travel is on a bus, there are no seat belts, so you can't strap a car seat in;

That can (and probably will) work' date=' but it is cutting things close. Be off the ship with your luggage as soon as they open the doors for self disembarkation. Go thru Customs and immediately to the Budget shuttle pick up spot (you'll know it because it is the same place you were dropped off). Driver--hop off the shuttle and leave the rest of the gang to deal with luggage; have all your car rental paperwork ready to go. [b']Drive past first gas stations at airport area--1/2 mile farther down the road will be MUCH better prices. Then to Budget garage at the airport.[/b]

The good thing is that car drop off at MCO takes virtually no time at all. We have had the agent at our car before we had our luggage out! The garage is immediately across the street from the terminal, so almost no walking there.

Just be cautious to shave off those minutes when you can.

Can you clarify this for me, please? We're returning our rental at MCO before our flight. Are you saying that, as you drive toward the airport the gas stations further from the airport charge more than the gas stations closer to the airport?