dream cruise suggestions

akacake

which continent(s) should I cruise to ?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. which continent(s) should I cruise to ?

• South America
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Austraila
    • North America
    • Africa
    • Antarctica

I am the recipient of 2 tickets to fly *free* almost anywhere in the world and want to plan a "dream" cruise...I would love some suggestions

I am thinking to fly into one continent, say Europe or Australia, cruise to another continent on a one way cruise, then take another one way cruise back to either North America, then fly home.

My criteria are that the total prices of the cruises don't exceed $2000- 3000 per person ... and that I am not gone for more than 30 days total.

(waiting to book a few months prior to departure will save us $$ and we are fine with an inside cabin) ...I just need some suggestions on good routes that other cruisers have taken...

thanks for the help in planning :) :)

ps I accidentally posted this same question in the wrong forum previously, I can't figure out how to delete it....is there a way to do it? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994707

:) Your idea sounds fantastic to me and I voted Australia. :)

I see you are in BC so be sure to take in consideration what the climate is where you are going, for the time of year you want to go.

Also consider the time of year in relation to which continent you will leaving from to come back to North America. Transatlantic cruises from Europe to North America are typically in our fall. Transpacific cruises back to NA are typically in our spring.

I'm sure you will get lots of responses. :D

I neglected to answer your question on routes taken. :)

We flew from LAX to Auckland NZ, then from Queenstown NZ to Sydney AU. We cruised back from Sydney to Honolulu, the cruise was 18 nights.

North America to Australia would probably be the most expensive flight, so a good place to use your free plane tickets. :)

We had lots of time though, total trip was 3 1/2 months.

Edited by SPacificbound

I picked Australia as well..many options for your per person budget and time...probably most expensive air.

Europe for me would be first,,,and just because of LOVING it...have not been to Australia and New Zealand which I am sure are wonderful...Sarah

Given your criteria, I would suggest you look for cruises from Sydney to somewhere in Asia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Japan... Cruising back to North America is probably going to eat up too much of your time limitation. If you really do only want one long range flight, maybe a cruise between North America and Australia/New Zealand.

Another possibility is HAL's Rotterdam has cruises between Europe and SE Asia. I don't know if they fit your budget and time limitations though.

Have fun planning!

My criteria are that the total prices of the cruises don't exceed $2000- 3000 per person ... and that I am not gone for more than 30 days total.

You might find some that fit your budget for Europe ..

cannot see flying to OZ for 10-14 day cruise

but check RCL & Princess if it works for you

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

wow, thank you for all the votes and replies! I thought I liked the idea of cruising from one continent to another but think there could be too many sea days, and I would miss not having enough port days to see different things.

One person suggested circumnavigating Australia. Has anyone else done that cruise?

From what I've seen of the cruises that circumnavigate Australia thay are probably pushing your time and budget constraints. We did the Sydney to Singapore cruise I mentioned earlier. That included a decent number of ports in Australia as well as Komodo Island, Bali, and Java in Indonesia before we reached Singapore. It was a nice mix of ports and sea days. That cruise was about 20-22 days IIRC. It would still leave you with time and money to explore pre and post cruise.

the $3k pp is going to make some of the suggestions kind of tough. the flight to OZ is a killer. if those ticket aren't first class or at least business class you will be miserable.

11 Night Ultimate Scan Russia Cruise

this one has 3 days 2 nights in St. Petersburg, Russia

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=&packageCode=LG11U023&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=&cruiseType=CO

Edited by Sherlock43031

I picked Australia too, just because of the distance and normally high ticket price, but Asia would be a close second, or possibly Tahiti and then a cruise from there to Australia, if you can do open-jaw itineraries.

There also look like many good cruise options starting in Australia to various Asian ports, New Zealand, or the South Pacific.+

I did not vote for Australia because you don't get to see very much of the country and there are a lot of sea days.

If you have not been to Europe - you can visit a lot of countries without a lot of sea days. The eastern Med is very interesting - but there is so much unrest right now there are several ports I would not want to visit. The northern cruises that visit the Scandinavia and Russia are good choices. There will be more competition in Europe so prices maybe better.]

I actually voted for Asia - but that covers a lot of areas. The ports are more exotic and interesting to see.

Any of the destinations sound appealing, but I voted for Australia only because being from the northeast US, it would be the most expensive destination to fly to and if you can fly for free, you might as well take advantage of the most bang for the buck. But depending on all other circumstances, choose the destination you most want to cruise to.