RCI vs Carnival

klaner64

I was just wondering why RCI is worth paying more for than Carnival Cruise Lines?

Feel free to read my Carnival Dream and Allure of the Seas reviews (links in my signature). I sailed on these two ships within months of each other. Each one of them is an example of the newest, largest, and best that each of these cruise lines have to offer. The differences should be pretty self explanatory.

Edited by Tapi

Feel free to read my Carnival Dream and Allure of the Seas reviews (links in my signature). I sailed on these two ships within months of each other. Each one of them is an example of the newest, largest, and best that each of these cruise lines have to offer. The differences should be pretty self explanatory.

Same here. Dream in November of 2013. Allure January 2014. While the Dream was nice and we had a good time, The Allure was head and shoulders above it. Before anyone says that the Allure costs so much more, We had OV room on Allure for 565.00 per person ( before tax )

As mentioned by mrpayroll, the prices are not always different.

Sometimes though, you do get what you pay for.

Now...We are looking at booking our October cruise which as always been on the Carnival Imagination...great ship, great crew, good food.

The Imagination repositioned to California and the Carnival Ecstasy has taken her place. The decor just does not work for us based on the photos we saw.

We also sail RCCL, Celebrity,and Princess. It really depends on what you are looking for, as to atmosphere.

So now we are looking at both RCCL and Princess for October out of FLL and some of the balcony prices are less than Carnival from MIA and FLL.

Our last Carnival cruise had break dancers in the lobby and DJ's on deck while RCCL had dancing with a band in the lobby and Steel band out on deck.

Again, we like Carnival, just depends.

Some would think we are crazy getting a Jr suite at times, but the DW loves having a bath tub, and if momma ain't happy....

If you go in thinking you paid too much you will never be happy with any cruise, no matter the line.

As someone who has sailed on both and enjoyed herself on both, I can honestly say the biggest difference to me was the people onboard and the ship decor. Thankfully I can have fun regardless of who I am surrounded by or what the color scheme is like. Sometimes it's just nice to be around more people who can properly dress themselves for dinner and not feel like you've flashed back to the 80s/90s while walking around a ship.

Edited by smileyperry

RCI is much classier, cleaner, you won't find places rusted out or in need of paint, etc., nothing looks cheap. Unfortunately, the same cat always be said about Carnival. I sailed 3 times on Carnival and 5 times on RCI. There is just no comparison!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw the review of Allure of the Seas and the ship looks beautiful. We have a family of 4 and like a room that has 3 beds on the floor and one bunk (one son can not climb into bunk due to stroke). We can get that sort of set up in a Porthole room on most Carnival ships. I looked at an Eastern cruise (Nassau, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan) in March and can get it for around $1990. A similar itinerary on RCI would cost about $3100 for an inside stateroom and I'm not sure you can even get this type of room without going to a family stateroom which brings the price to about $3500. The other thing that concerned me is that you have to prebook your shows you want to go see. What if you decide you do not want to go? Do you just not show up?

Since RCL left us, I have been on many 4 days with Carnival and enjoyed the food and the crew.

I am tired of flying to Europe or Florida to take Rcl.

Yes, I still have 2 cruises booked but other lines are now also on my book.

But I am also very senior so all the fancy stuff on the new ships are not for me to enjoy.

What if you decide you do not want to go? Do you just not show up?

Yup. Just don't show.

Deciding whether to spend extra to go on Royal is completely a personal decision. Just like some people are price driven and will look for the best bargain, other people prefer to pay more to get more. Only way to really know if it's worth it for you is to try it at least once.

We paid more than twice to sail on the Allure than to sail on the Dream. Not only that, but we had a Boardwalk window stateroom on one while we had an oceanview balcony on the other. The Allure was worth every extra penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree that passengers on RCI are well behaved and dress properly. We went on the Carnival Breeze and even our young DD noticed some passengers were just not as polite. There were more intoxicated passengers and some were cutting the lines. Both lines have the same food and amenities. We prefer the service on RCI. It's a step up from Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have sailed 3 carnival cruises and 2 Royals. Some will say one has better service or food over the other....to me they are very similar. IMO the difference is the ships, and to me the Royal ships are just so much nicer.

The reason I have sailed 3 carnival and only 2 royal is the carnival cruises were 4 or 5 days, and at the time needed a shorter cruise. Out of Galveston no short Royals, both Royal 7 days. I would easily pay up to $150 (inside) more pp for Royal.... but as has been mentioned here a lot of times they are pretty similar... at least when I've checked.

I like RCCL so much I just have not been tempted to take another line for the east coast / Carribean. I was thinking about Cunard for transatlantic which is owned by Carnival I believe. I had such a good time on RCCL we booked a follow up cruise and are considering one after that. Bookings out to 2015 is as far out as they have listed which is fine for us. Good luck on what you do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like RCCL so much I just have not been tempted to take another line for the east coast / Carribean. I was thinking about Cunard for transatlantic which is owned by Carnival I believe. I had such a good time on RCCL we booked a follow up cruise and are considering one after that. Bookings out to 2015 is as far out as they have listed which is fine for us. Good luck on what you do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, Cunard is owned by Carnival Corp & PLC, which is Carnival Cruise Lines' parent company. Basically, Carnival Cruise Lines has no say what happens at Cunard, just as they have no say at HAL or Princess. The parent company operates the separate brands as separate companies, though ship designs across the cruise lines tend to be various copies of one another with some changes.

I've been on the Carnival Pride and Royal's Grandeur. I like both.

I have, on every Royal cruise, paid much more than for a similar itinerary.

The décor, ... doesn't bother me. I don't even notice after the first few hours.

The cruisers who talk about how much more polite the Royal cruiser's are, ... what???

People are people. The good, the bad, the ugly, they are cruising on EVERY line.

My last Royal cruise I had an 'old fart'(sr. citizen), well dressed, mind you, cut in line. He informed me I'd better get used to it, he was there for the duration of the cruise. Say what!!!?

I also see MANY ill dressed, over sized, people on EVERY line I've sailed on. Celebrity is one of them.

A more expensive cruise does not guarantee class, or manners. Nor does it guarantee a better wardrobe on your fellow cruisers.

Some of you ... . smh

IMHO Royal's newer and larger ships are definitely worth paying a premium over any Carnival ship, including their newest. I've sailed extensively on both lines and sail for the ship rather than the itinerary, so paying the premium is worth it to me.

Some come on here and say they're "more similar than different" or something along those lines, and I could not disagree more if we're talking about RCI's larger ships compared to any Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

IMHO Royal's newer and larger ships are definitely worth paying a premium over any Carnival ship, including their newest. I've sailed extensively on both lines and sail for the ship rather than the itinerary, so paying the premium is worth it to me.

Some come on here and say they're "more similar than different" or something along those lines, and I could not disagree more if we're talking about RCI's larger ships compared to any Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Well said. Completely agree with you.

Sort of like comparing a Honda, to something more upscale like an Audi.

They both have many of the same features but the upscale car commands a premium because of better materials, engineering, etc.

You may have a perfectly OK cruise on Carnival, so its a matter of deciding if the improvements in many little thing that you will find on RC is worth the extra fare to you.

I have found that Carnival is not always less expensive. For example, from my home port of Galveston, I have found prices to be quite comparable, with a huge caveat...

We like to cruise in a suite, and enjoy the perks that come with booking that type of cabin. Since I tend to book early, I have found I can sail in a suite on RCI which comes with numerous perks for the same or a little less than a suite on Carnival which comes with extra real estate and priority boarding. To me it's a no brainer!

I'm not a Carnival basher and we enjoyed many things about our 5 cruises on CCL. However, there are several things that really stand out to me and make me more inclined to book RCI than CCL. The most important to me are crowding, activities/entertainment, and ship design. My husband and I prefer Royal Caribbean ships to Carnival ships in all of those categories.

I now cruise with Royal more after many CCL cruises for a few reasons. I like Royals ships better, although the Carnival Fantasy class ships will always feel like home to me.

Royals Crown and Anchor program is also VASTLY superior to CCL's program, especially once you get to Diamond. The nightly events and parties are an excellent way to develop brand loyalty. It certainly seems to be working considering the swelling D, D+ and PC numbers.

That all being said, I still occasionally cruise with Carnival. Their frequently lower rates and relaxed party atmosphere are great. Especially for our annual guy's open-bar cruise. They are much more tolerant of our boozy shenanigans than I think RCI would be. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by DarthGrady

The biggest and most noticeable difference: Entertainment. Although to new cruisers or people new to RCI I suggest Voyager class or larger. Vision/Radiance class are more "classic" cruise ship; Voyager, Freedom, Oasis classes more directly reflect the styles/trends RCI is going for in the industry.

"Part snipped"

However, there are several things that really stand out to me and make me more inclined to book RCI than CCL. The most important to me are crowding, activities/entertainment, and ship design. My husband and I prefer Royal Caribbean ships to Carnival ships in all of those categories.

The above is how I feel. Nothing wrong with Carnival. Many people love the experience but IMHO RCI stands out in so many areas over Carnival with the big areas list above. Add to that a much better past guest program. Carnival no longer makes my list as an option for cruising.

As you can see below we will have done 7 going to be 8 cruises on the explorer and 1 on carnival we do like the suite perks on royal not had on carnival. Whether we leave out of bayonne or nyc the people were the same as for the ships about the same also. The only difference I can say was the food I always said royal food was a 10 till we had the food on carnival which we though was much better 11+. As for the price we book early so it is the same depending on the itinerary royal needs to step it up a bit in that department thats just my thought though. After the explorer leaves bayonne don't quite what we are going to do?. But one thing WE will sure miss her !!!!!!!!!!!!.

I thought Cunard would be a nice diversion but after wearing a uniform for so many years I just want to travel business casual on a cruise. No suits or tux. May be silly but I would have liked the idea of transatlantic as my family came here that way. I will let all enjoy their own preference. Smooth sailing to all!