Wouldn't it be neat if HAL ...

WayneFougere

On our Early NADM Dec. cruise we were invited to debrief with HD, CD panel.

We were told that an intranet network was being installed throughout the ship. Once up you would be able to check your account, make reservations, review menu's etc. we were told it was being implemented Fleet wide.

Frankly, I'm surprised this system is not already up and running because we were told it would be running soon. I guess soon is longer than two months!

Just a added comment to my original post. The HD was adamant that folks will still receive "paper" notices. The intranet will be available for those that decide to use it.

Not really. Not everyone travels with an iphone or ipad - like me. No need for one. I'd much rather like to be able to check my onboard account on the cabin TV.

Bingo! Exactly!

TV option would be great, especially for the onboard account, but a paper program gets our vote for the daily program.

I don't like to be negative (really!), but the way HAL handles the internet onboard makes me very leery of an intranet.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Just a added comment to my original post. The HD was adamant that folks will still receive "paper" notices. The intranet will be available for those that decide to use it.

Ahhh, but do you think it will be available in the next 140 years? HAL does seem to move slow when it comes to technology.

Hank

Not really. Not everyone travels with an iphone or ipad - like me. No need for one. I'd much rather like to be able to check my onboard account on the cabin TV.

Yeah I agree; however, I wish they would only make all those ads (jewelry specials, art auctions, cruise videos, spa specials, etc.) available on iPhones and iPads. Then I wouldn't have to see them. :D

Edited by ScriptOhio

Yeah I agree; however, I wish they would only make all those ads (jewelry specials, art auctions, cruise videos, spa specials, etc.) available on iPhones and iPads. Then I wouldn't have to see them. :D

Now that I could handle. Really dislike receiving all that paper junk. Perhaps this cruise (14 days) I will save all this crap and count the sheets on the last day and report back. :eek: I normally chuck them out daily.:rolleyes:

Years ago, Celebrity had technology in place where passengers could view the status of their on board account (and probably other things) using the TV in their cabin. We found it very helpful. Being in house, no internet connection was required. It would be great if HAL were to have that capability. And if it were expanded to include the daily program and menus, that would be awesome.

Every cruiseline that I've been on other than HAL has your account access available on the tv.

Hi

I don't like it. I want the paper I keep them and file them in a binder. what next no menu's (paper) Since the ship's internet is expensive and slow. Are you risking missing events. Many people do not know to use the internet. 2-3 thousand people signing on the internet at the same time.. yeah sure

Mary

I feel obliged to point out that iWhatevers are proprietary products from Apple which do not represent the majority of devices in the market. I would be more interested in a distribution of information that ran on Android devices. Or for that matter, Windows laptops.

Or how about just on the TV screen?

The fact is that paper works for me.

igraf

... sent daily programs to your iPhone or iPad?

Mary, you sound like my wife. I find electronic calendars and reminders easier, take less space and easy to store but doubt HAL will ever get around to my way of thinking (that's why I said "if" because it's unlikely to happen anytime soon).

Igraf, have no fear, there won't be an iOS or Android version anytime soon. When bIg corporations do port things to mobile, they usually hit all the device types; but since HAL seems so devoted to Windows (even offering lessons on board), I trust that if they ever have a mobile app, it will either be web-based (for all) or made specifically for mobile windows!

Edited by WayneFougere

By the way, the title is "Wouldn't if be neat if HAL ..." in order to incubate more than just one idea. I'll probably have another "if" tomorrow (or at least eventually); but I wonder, what do others dream about (other than beautiful cruises and functional toilets and air conditioning)?

By the way, the title is "Wouldn't if be neat if HAL ..." in order to incubate more than just one idea. I'll probably have another "if" tomorrow (or at least eventually); but I wonder, what do others dream about (other than beautiful cruises and functional toilets and air conditioning)?

I didn't see the title as an invitation for other suggestions, but now that you mention it, I would really like it if HAL kept a well-lit, quiet public lounge for after-dinner reading. I hate to head back to my cabin so early, but it really is the only quiet place I can find between 5pm and 11pm.

And along those lines, I really wish that HAL would reconsider the lighting arrangements in the cabins. They are all dreadful. I find it either full-on bright or all-over too dim to see anything.

IF our account was available on TV for review we would not need to get a print out from time to time or even get a final hard copy statement. Just let me check in on the TV, and email me a copy of the final. Just like our hotel or resort accounts.

HAL is so behind the curve, in so many areas, one has to wonder if they will ever catch up or if they have purposely chosen to remain in the past from a technology perspective. Just one more disconnect between reality and their marketing/target customer.

Edited by iancal

IF our account was available on TV for review we would not need to get a print out from time to time or even get a final hard copy statement. Just let me check in on the TV, and email me a copy of the final. Just like our hotel or resort accounts.

HAL is so behind the curve, in so many areas, one has to wonder if they will ever catch up or if they have purposely chosen to remain in the past from a technology perspective. Just one more disconnect between reality and their marketing/target customer.

+1. They certainly appear to be behind the technology curve.

Disney has a great app for IOS and Android. We loved it ... you clicked on whatever activities you wanted (DCL has sections for kids, families, adults only). Dinner menus for each restaurant and room service were posted. Port of Call info, including the ship's agent info, maps, deck plans, drinks of the day and bar hours, lots of info. Loved it! Wish HAL would do the same. And for the luddites, you still got your paper copies you could highlight and file, etc.

You could only connect to the app via DCL WiFi, and that WiFi was only good for the app.

Wouldn't it be neat if HAL ... had a website that clearly showed all available cabins without the need for picking one cabin type at a time?

Yes, but you can't even see all the seats on an airline unless you pick a class of service - and they only have 2 or 3.

I'm not a regular flyer so can't challenge your assertion. I'm pretty sure that when I booked my flight to get to the cruise, I saw all the seat options I could choose from (and learned that the seats I preferred were already assigned). Regardless, I agree I only need the category I'm interested in; but in my case at least, that includes all three levels in the category. I'd just like the effort to be easier and all my options to be obvious.