A reminder if you buy flowers for someone on the ship

MoMo07

Just a reminder if you plan on purchasing any of the flowers from Carnival's specialty shops: you can't take them off the ship.

On my recent trip on Pride, day 7 of our 8 day cruise was my birthday. My significant other (SO) snuck away and visited the specialty shop to see what could be done to make my birthday special. They arranged to have a bouquet of beautiful roses and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to my room on my birthday. It was so beautiful and thoughtful, and the strawberries were the best I have ever had. In.my.life. I very much appreciated this surprise, tremendously. My birthday was amazing.

My SO is somewhat new to cruising, and didn't realize that customs prohibits bringing things like cut flowers off the ship. And no one mentioned this in the specialty shop. I was able to enjoy my beautiful flowers for less than 12 hours before I had to get off the ship. My SO felt so bad. We decided that instead of throwing them out, I gave them to a crew member who really stood out to us (in addition to extra tip).

I just wanted to share this.... because often people cruise during special occasions, and flowers are something that we often use to mark those special occasions. Carnival talks up purchasing them in the Funtimes and even during the CD's annoucnements on the overhead speakers. If you are going to do this, consider doing it on day 1 of the cruise so the receiver can have more time to enjoy them.

Uh oh..My bad..I took mine off our pride sailing last September. I had the vase in my large beach purse to keep my hands free to carry other things but the roses were sticking out of the top clearly because numerous people commented how beautiful they were. I was not stopped and didnt know I couldn't take them off the ship:eek:

I think that only applies for flowers that you physically bring from other countries, not what you get on the ship but I could be wrong. Carnival gets their flowers in Miami (or wherever they are docked) so they are already from the US. No chance of bringing pests native to other countries back to the US which is what the law is designed to protect against.

I brought my flowers home from when I got married on the Conquest no problems and they never mentioned that I couldn't.

I think that only applies for flowers that you physically bring from other countries, not what you get on the ship but I could be wrong. Carnival gets their flowers in Miami (or wherever they are docked) so they are already from the US. No chance of bringing pests native to other countries back to the US which is what the law is designed to protect against.

I brought my flowers home from when I got married on the Conquest no problems and they never mentioned that I couldn't.

Carnival Weddings have vastly changed in the last 11 years and they now charge $$$$ for weddings flowers. For weddings you can no longer bring fresh flowers from home (they're inspected at security) and even with CCL's bouquets you're not supposed to take them off the ship. What's sad is that the coordinators bring the bouquets on the ship with them and so they've only been onboard for maybe 5 hours. We did real-touch silk in order to avoid this problem.

Sorry about your flowers, OP. Someone posted a picture of Customs confiscating the Valentine's roses coming off of a ship last week--it was a sight.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

On rare occasion I have seen a single rose get thru CBP in Long Beach. They are inspected carefully, each petal opened and than shaken & slapped against the dark navy CBP uniform. Don't look too good after this.

Best to take a picture for the memories.

We took a Hawaii cruise (roundtrip from LA) on DCL. They had lei making classes and told us during the class that we wouldn't be able to take the leis off the ship, either in port or upon return to the mainland. The flowers were supplied from Los Angeles.

In Seattle you can take flowers on board but not take them off board. I did it twice this past Sept..

I can understand why they will not allow flowers off board. If all or any of the ports of calls are not USA ports, who is saying that you picked those flowers up at a non USA port. It all have to do with pest, I worked for a company here in Canada and imported flower from around the world, they are inspected before being released to us.

If we had flowers come the other side of the world and they landed in the USA, those flowers had to be placed in bond while waiting to get on another flight to us. USA agriculture has the right to inspect them if they choose (even in bond). This is done to protect your animals, native plants from pest that could wipe out a specics. ie. Japeness beatles, ash born beattle, etc.

If i am right we can import any plant material from Utah due a pest problem that is not native to the USA.

It is all about protection and problems that could be created.

I've always taken off my single rose with no problems. I don't hide it and it is sticking out of my carryon. When I'm leaving the ship, the crew members tell me that it will be confiscated but it never has been. I've never tried to take off a large bouquet.

It is really good to abide by rules...we live in such beetle infested timber here..one day in certain areas there will be epic, epic fires...it is hard to believe, but like disease, things pass microscopically..even from ship to a clean flower..

So thanks OP for reminder, best to get flowers early ..enjoy on ship. While I just love real flowers...the real silk ones are so much better now..nice for a memory..I guess a bride could do both and they are so much better that I use them sometimes at mom's grave and if well chosen, it is far less tacky even there than one thinks, and lasts longer, and deer don't eat them...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I was on the Triumph on Valentine's Day, along with my husband and two sisters. My husband bought each of us a big, beautiful yellow rose! then we were given a red carnation each by our MDR waiters. My sisters were first time cruisers - I told them we wouldn't be allowed to take our flowers off the ship. Then at debarkation, seemed like every woman had a flower or two she was taking off, through customs! My sisters weren't very happy with me. I asked the porter about taking flowers off, and he said sometimes they allow it, sometimes not.

That is very disappointing. And I really think that the shop was remiss in not telling your SO!

I totally agree! If you can't take the flowers off the ship, they should tell you so up front before you pay for them. I hate to be cynical and say that maybe they don't tell you so that you'll buy them...but well...:rolleyes:

Edited by mousey

Having had the same experience as you, I have warned people about this. However, last weekend for Valentine's Day, on the 3 night Long Beach-Ensenada cruise, my husband had the most beautiful roses sent to our cabin (He purchased them on the ship, not prior to the cruise). At the time, I thanked him, of course, but reminded him that I would not be able to take them home. But, just for the heck of it, I decided to try, and if they told me I couldn't take them...ok..I figured I would leave them on the Customer Service desk so they could enjoy them. Imagine my surprise when not one person stopped me...not Carnival employees, not Immigration, not even the Agriculture Officers. I seriously was prepared to give them up, but they let them go through. Because it was a Valentine's cruise, I saw a few others taking their flowers off the ship. So maybe they let it slide???

But, yes....99.9% of the time you won't be able to take the flowers off the ship.

I have been on three cruises over Valentine's Day. In Charleston and Port Canaveral we took them off. Last year in Miami someone on the cruise director's staff stopped us and told us we could not bring them off the ship. I mentioned it to the customs officer and he told me I could have brought them off since they originated from Miami. Oh well, the assistant CD must have had a room full of roses as my sister in law and I both handed them over to her.

I have been on three cruises over Valentine's Day. In Charleston and Port Canaveral we took them off. Last year in Miami someone on the cruise director's staff stopped us and told us we could not bring them off the ship. I mentioned it to the customs officer and he told me I could have brought them off since they originated from Miami. Oh well, the assistant CD must have had a room full of roses as my sister in law and I both handed them over to her.

according to the FAQ of carnival they are not specific so either none are allowed off or carnival is too vague

Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

This almost sounds like you can bring flowers on the ship from a US port (embarkation) but can not take the same flowers off.