New to NCL, a few questions ...

ChiBearsSuperFan

We are wandering away from Carnival to give Norwegian a try. Frankly, we are bored with Carnivals itineraries and food! This will be our first Norwegian sailing in February of 2015 on the Pearl. We have a few questions, if anyone might be willing to help us out with thoughts and opinions.

1. How is the food, in all of the various dining options? Not sure if we are going to be taking advantage of all of the "pay extra" dining options, other than the steakhouse. This is one extra expense we always indulge in. If you've been on Carnival before, please make food comparisons, this will help out a lot.

2. How is the dress code in the dining areas?

3. Are there any kind of "formal night" dining evenings?

4. Debarkation times ... early enough in Miami specifically, that a flight out around 1:00pm would be realistically possible?

5. Daily activities ... are there multiple things going on throughout the day that should provide something for everyone to do? I know that if I am bored, its my own fault but am wondering what kinds of things NCL has going on during the day.

Thats about all I can think of for now. Thank you everyone for your help.

1. How is the food, in all of the various dining options? Not sure if we are going to be taking advantage of all of the "pay extra" dining options, other than the steakhouse. This is one extra expense we always indulge in. If you've been on Carnival before, please make food comparisons, this will help out a lot.

4. Debarkation times ... early enough in Miami specifically, that a flight out around 1:00pm would be realistically possible?

5. Daily activities ... are there multiple things going on throughout the day that should provide something for everyone to do? I know that if I am bored, its my own fault but am wondering what kinds of things NCL has going on during the day.

Even though you are not a PATS fan, I will still try to answer your questions. Iven been on 4 NCL cruises, so others have way more experience and could answer differently/better! My last cruise was on CCL (Valor) last May.

1. How is the food, in all of the various dining options? Not sure if we are going to be taking advantage of all of the "pay extra" dining options, other than the steakhouse. This is one extra expense we always indulge in. If you've been on Carnival before, please make food comparisons, this will help out a lot. My opinion NCL food is much better. I found some entrees on CCL almost inedible! The warm chocolate melting cake was 1/2 baked brownie batter! Not sure why everyone loves it! Maybe a bite, but a whole dish...ick!

NCL typically has 2 MDRs and a table service 24hr restaurant, along with the buffet and room service that are included in your cruise fare. MDRs serve chix/beef/fish entrees and have daily specials which are really good. Buffet is a tad better than CCL (but I did like CCLs options)

2. How is the dress code in the dining areas? Resort casual all the time. Formal night is optional..very optional. I would say less than 1/2 dress up for it. Shorts are allowed too, but most wear pants to dinner. From NCL website

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (MDRs) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

3. Are there any kind of "formal night" dining evenings? Its optional. Less than 1/2 dress up. They are mixed in with the people who are not.

4. Debarkation times ... early enough in Miami specifically, that a flight out around 1:00pm would be realistically possible? Definitely. You can get to their airport with ease by 11:00. (Ive heard of people there by 8!)

Way more then CCL! They have your typical seminars (Jewels/art/health and fitness), trivia, cooking classes, sports tournaments, bingo, contests by the pool (best legs/hairy chest etc...), music venues etc.. On sea days there is more options of the same.

Click on this thread. Post # 19 has a place to click to see all the daily activity sheets on the Pearl (from Dec 2013)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1953080

Enjoy your cruise :)

Only thing to add:

On NCL there is both a Traditional Stake House and Brazilian Stake House.

The Two complimentary main dinning rooms shave slightly different but very similar menus.

There are several treads on lobster night (I almost regret mentioning the item) but it is server it is usually in the main dinning room on the first night when you leave port.

Yes. Lots of specialty (extra $$) restaurants (Cagneys Steakhouse and Moderno (Brazilian) Steakhouse, an Asian restaurant, Italian, French..and Im sure Im missing one or 2! We typically stick with MDRs. Menu is a little different daily. Once per cruise we go to a specialty. Not too much better or different, depends on what you get. MDR has really good entrees on the daily specials.

Im not a huge fan of the buffet (though ate there often on CCL because the MDRs were really not good). I like to sit and relax instead of carry a plate around, but I have eaten in the buffets before and the food is good and some items are great!

Food is very subjective, I found both Carnival and NCL's MDR food very much on par with each other.

Here is the dining guide for all the dining venues on each ship. Just follow down the line that is on your ship

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_01212014.pdf

For samples of menus from the specialty dining go to the NCL web site

"learn about our cruises" - your ship - "what's on board" - "eat"

when you click on the dining venue it will give you a link for a sample menu.

We dressed the same on each line, the only difference was DH wore a tie on Carnival's formal night.

Disembarkation was handled very similar on both lines. If you want to be able to disembark at whatever time you wish as soon as the ship is cleared do Easy Walk Off (self assist). You shouldn't have a problem meeting a 1pm flight unless (as in all other cruiselines) something happens to delay docking such as fog. The week before our last cruise NCL Dawn & Carnival Legend never got into port until noonish due to fog in Tampa.

As someone else suggested look up the "freestyle dailies" (like the Carnival Times) and see for yourself whether there are things going on that you would enjoy.

OP, be aware that Pearl is NCL's designated charter ship and usually has full charters (normal cruises cancelled) for several weeks in January and February.

So far only one charter for 2015 has been confirmed but no regular cruises have been cancelled - yet. They definitely will though. Most charters are organized by NCL's subsidiary Sixthman and many of the music cruises are yearly events, one can see what they had this year by going to their website at http://www.sixthman.net/events/ (past events are below the list of upcoming ones).

There is also a long thread about the charters/upcoming cancellations here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987114

Good thing about this is that there are usually no charter caused cancellations on other ships but instead Pearl in Jan/Feb and also in Oct/Nov is one that I'd avoid with early booking (or at least would wait much closer before booking flights/hotels around the cruise).

We where on the Pearl this last Oct, and enjoyed the ship very much. I will add something that has not been mentioned...the larger of the two MDRs' is casual, no shorts. The smaller of the two you can wear shorts. As mentioned before, you can dress up if you want, but you don't have to (saves on luggage). With freestyle you can eat where, and whenever you please...no set times or table mates.

Every NCL ship that we have been on has a very relaxed feel to it, the service is very good, and IMHO the food is similar to CCL, slthough I do like the buffet.

I think you will enjoy the Pearl, and your cruise!:D

We are like you, and tried NCL for the first time this past December. Carnival, while we still will sail with them, has become predictable, and the entertainment (IMO) has gone downhill.

We thought food, in the MDR, to be better, overall, on Carnival. Of course, we haven't tried the "new" Carnival menus yet (we will in April, on Glory). We didn't eat at the buffet on NCL much, mostly just breakfast, so it's kind of hard to compare. The one or two times we ate at the buffet for lunch or dinner, it was good, pretty much the same as Carnival. A couple things NCL offers, that Carnival doesn't, is scooped ice cream, and crepes...delish!!

We ate at 4 of NCL's specialty restaurants, including the steakhouse. All were excellent, I highly recommend Moderno, the Brazilian steakhouse. We have never eaten at Carnival's steakhouse, so really can't compare.

The entertainment on NCL Sun BLEW AWAY anything Carnival has to offer! The theater had something different every night, and NEVER had a game show! One of the smaller lounges held different types of game shows, pretty much every night.

NCL did a lot of little things, that Carnival doesn't, that, to me, gives NCL the edge. I'm really glad we gave NCL a try, and can't wait to sail on the Pearl this December!

Food in the MDR's (free dining) is good and there are plenty of options. One side of the menu features choices that remain the same each day of the cruise; the other side has dishes that change each day. The buffet (free option) is good. Some of the made to order dishes (crepes, omlettes, pasta's) are very good. Love Cagneys (surcharge) and Le Bistro (surcharge). Food is wonderful and if you decide to try you won't be disappointed. Depending on the ship, there are other free dining options that are available and are good. You will not go hungry!

1:00 flight is probably not an issue as airport is not far from pier, but I am always nervous about missing my flight so prefer to leave myself more time. If you decide to carry off your own luggage you definitely should not have any issues.

Lots to do during the day. Walking track, fitness center, trivia, bingo, dance lessons, zumba, art auction, movies, sexy legs contest, newlywed game, ice carving lessons, etc. Not sure what ship you will be on, but the newer ship (Breakaway) had mini golf, climbing wall, walk the plank, etc. You'll get a Freestyle Daily in your cabin each night for the next day and all activities will be listed. At times, there is so much to do that it may be hard to decide.

Dress - NCL is very casual. We never get dressed for formal night(s) and never feel out of place. Men will not be allowed in the MDR at night with shorts or sandals, but can wear jeans or slacks with a knit shirt. Same for the ladies - no shorts. Jeans, jean capris are acceptable. I find the ships to be really cold in the evening so I would suggest packinig a sweater or jacket. You can wear "whatever" in the buffet.

Dress - NCL is very casual. We never get dressed for formal night(s) and never feel out of place. Men will not be allowed in the MDR at night with shorts or sandals, but can wear jeans or slacks with a knit shirt. Same for the ladies - no shorts. Jeans, jean capris are acceptable. I find the ships to be really cold in the evening so I would suggest packinig a sweater or jacket. You can wear "whatever" in the buffet.

Just to clarify that shorts ARE allowed in all dining venues at night other than the more formal Aft MDR and Le Bistro.

We are wandering away from Carnival to give Norwegian a try. Frankly, we are bored with Carnivals itineraries and food! This will be our first Norwegian sailing in February of 2015 on the Pearl. We have a few questions, if anyone might be willing to help us out with thoughts and opinions.

We love Cagney's (the steak house on most of the NCL ships, but honestly the best value for your dollar is Le Bistro. Steak is also an option there. And again, being honest, we have always found the food in the main dining rooms to be very good. We rarely eat at the buffet but that is simply because it is usually too loud and crowded for my taste.

You should have no problem making a 1PM flight at all.

Our experience is there are not as many activities on NCL during the day as Carnival (although we have only been on one Carnival cruise). But we have always found enough to keep us going.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. NCL is the best value around IMHO.

We cruised Carnival last month for the first time on a 4 nighter from Long Beach prior to our 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Norwegian Star. Two things stuck out for us....firstly, the MDR food and service on Carnival was much inferior to NCL. We discovered the best way was to eat evening meal in the buffet, that way you have control over what you eat and service is at your speed. We have never had to do that on NCCL....secondly, the entertainment on Carnival is poor and absolutely geared to hyping everyone up and getting them to the bar as quickly as possible....never again, Carnival, for us at least!

To put all of this in context, we have cruised 31 times, with 14 different cruiselines and the only other line where MDR food an service is as bad as Carnival was Costa.

Just to clarify that shorts ARE allowed in all dining venues at night other than the more formal Aft MDR and Le Bistro.

This debate keeps coming up.

It really depends on the ship and the crew.

We were on the Jewel in January...sister ship of the Pearl and saw MANY men being turned away from BOTH MDR's for having shorts on.

Others who have been on other ships say shorts are NP in the MDR's.

So it is not standard fleet wide. Class of ship and length of cruise seem to have something to do with it.

We are on the Sky for a shorter cruise in April, and by all accounts Shorts are welcome in MDRs on that ship.

Most of the specialty dining ($$) requires pants as they are 4 star dining.

We cruised Carnival last month for the first time on a 4 nighter from Long Beach prior to our 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Norwegian Star. Two things stuck out for us....firstly, the MDR food and service on Carnival was much inferior to NCL. We discovered the best way was to eat evening meal in the buffet, that way you have control over what you eat and service is at your speed. We have never had to do that on NCCL....secondly, the entertainment on Carnival is poor and absolutely geared to hyping everyone up and getting them to the bar as quickly as possible....never again, Carnival, for us at least!

To put all of this in context, we have cruised 31 times, with 14 different cruiselines and the only other line where MDR food an service is as bad as Carnival was Costa.

Very glad to see this. We are relatively new to cruising. 4 in 22 months. NCL and Princess.

Sometimes the price of the carnival cruises tempt me, but DH says NO! Too many problems with the ships...seeing a very experienced cruiser..who is not Line Loyal make these comments holds a lot of weight with me.

Thank you..we will not bother trying Carnival..not worth saving a few bucks if there is that noticeable difference.

I find the food on Carnival and NCL to be very similar in quality in the MDRs, honestly. Some things are very good, some I don't care for. Most things are of decent quality but on occasion I've had, for example, a piece of beef that was tough or full of gristle. Again, I've had this on both lines. I seriously doubt you'd see much difference.

I find that dinners often take longer on NCL than on Carnival, but it's not a negative to me. Just thought I'd point it out.

I think the steakhouse on Carnival ships edges out Cagney's on NCL, although that's not to say that Cagney's isn't good. It's very good. I just find the Carnival steakhouse to be a step up.

NCL's buffets have a much better setup, more variety, and better quality, in my opinion, than anything I've had on any Carnival ship. The poolside BBQs are always a treat for me, too.

All of that said, I prefer NCL as a whole much more than I do Carnival (and I do enjoy Carnival). I love the ships. I love Freestyle. The entertainment is not even comparable, in my opinion. And the dining options are an absolute plus for me. I love the specialty restaurant options, particularly Le Bistro and Moderno. I love not having to get dressed up, ever. I love the laid back atmosphere. I love the wide variety of activities to choose from. It's just a great vacation, in my opinion.

The Pearl is a very nice ship. I do hope you enjoy your trip.

Very glad to see this. We are relatively new to cruising. 4 in 22 months. NCL and Princess.

Sometimes the price of the carnival cruises tempt me, but DH says NO! Too many problems with the ships...seeing a very experienced cruiser..who is not Line Loyal make these comments holds a lot of weight with me.

Thank you..we will not bother trying Carnival..not worth saving a few bucks if there is that noticeable difference.

Not to hijack this OP's thread, but I wouldn't write off Carnival necessarily. It's not my preferred line (I prefer NCL) but I've had great cruises on Carnival, and not just great "because a cruise is what you make of it" great. I mean really very good.

I don't think you can accurately assess an entire line based on one ship. Keep in mind that all of the cruise lines typically reserve their older, smaller ships for the 3 and 4 days trips. The atmosphere on those cruises is almost always a party atmosphere. You're not going to get the best of any line judging by a 3 or 4 day versus a full week. I've been on old, crappy Carnival ships and new, sparkly ones. Apples and Oranges.

Not to hijack this OP's thread, but I wouldn't write off Carnival necessarily. It's not my preferred line (I prefer NCL) but I've had great cruises on Carnival, and not just great "because a cruise is what you make of it" great. I mean really very good.

I don't think you can accurately assess an entire line based on one ship. Keep in mind that all of the cruise lines typically reserve their older, smaller ships for the 3 and 4 days trips. The atmosphere on those cruises is almost always a party atmosphere. You're not going to get the best of any line judging by a 3 or 4 day versus a full week. I've been on old, crappy Carnival ships and new, sparkly ones. Apples and Oranges.

Fair comment, it was an old ship, although our 4 night was Monday to Friday and not the typical long weekend party cruise. That said, I note your most recent Carnival cruise was more than 2 years ago and the only other one was 8years ago! Many posters in recent months have said the Carnival food product has gone swiftly downhill during the past year or two.

This debate keeps coming up.

It really depends on the ship and the crew.

We were on the Jewel in January...sister ship of the Pearl and saw MANY men being turned away from BOTH MDR's for having shorts on.

Others who have been on other ships say shorts are NP in the MDR's.

So it is not standard fleet wide. Class of ship and length of cruise seem to have something to do with it.

We are on the Sky for a shorter cruise in April, and by all accounts Shorts are welcome in MDRs on that ship.

Most of the specialty dining ($$) requires pants as they are 4 star dining.

I have not had any problems wearing shorts on the Epic and on the Dawn. I prefer to wear a air of Dockers style shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. I can guarantee that I would be contacting the hotel director if I was ever turned away from the mid ship MDR for wearing shorts. I don't mind abiding by the rules, and NCL is quite clear that shorts are well within the rules. I do know that sandals are not allowed and I wear a pair of boat shoes.

Count me as one who wouldn't sail on CCL if it were Free. Just too many horror stories, and I work too hard to spend money on a gamble. Also, a CCL ship is no place for an introverted painter, who is temperamental about "alone time". :D

I have not cruised on NCL since the boiler on the Norway blew up. the Norway was my favorite ship and I was so sad about it, that I couldn't bring myself to book another NCL cruise until now. I chose other experiences in order to "overwrite" the memory. Seven human beings died on that ship. And many others wounded. Seeing the wounded (and the dead) being transported off the ship is not something I will EVER forget. Let alone, trying to imagine how their families felt. So, I am NOT an NCL "cheerleader". I am well aware of things they could, and should have done differently.

I am not particularly "loyal" to any one cruise line. I have cruised on several and all have their highs and lows. I am choosing NCL Star for my current vacation (March 16 ) for a few reasons:

a) Home port and length of cruise (7 days)

b) Vast options available on board: dress up or not, where to eat, what to do. I am not a person who takes "marching orders" very well, and prefer a "do as you like" experience.

c) Ship itself attracted me --- I am not a fan of mega ships and the Star is a good size for me - i would prefer an even smaller ship for this vacation, but it's just not possible right now. I will save that for Star Clippers in September.

d) price

Please note that the price was the last thing on my list. It was the least important thing for me, although I have to say that I couldn't beat the price for the cabin category I chose. Itininerary was also not even on my list. I love Mexico and have been there many times. On this cruise, I plan to spend a great deal of time onbaord enjoying the ship and it's relaxation factor.

I could have chosen Princess. They do the same home port, etc. But I didn't and that was for a specific reason: The dates didn't work , the cruise length wasn't right and I just didn't want to deal with the hard Princess sell.

Others have already answered your specific questions very well, but I would add: the party atmosphere is there, if you want it. The formal dining is there, if you want it. The casual experience is there too. Everything you can imagine, as a choice, is available to you on an NCL cruise. Probably more so on NCL than on Princess, if that distinction helps you in your planning.

My advice: Do what YOU want to do, and not what others "recommend". (Within reason of course...please don't go streaking through the dining room....at least, don't do it on MY ship. LOL)

Ignore negatives as much as you can and realize this: if no one dies onboard, during your sailing, it's an incredible, wonderful vacation. Believe me, I know the difference.

Edited by artist47

i thought I was going to starve on our Carnival Liberty cruise. If it weren't for Guys Burger and the steakhouse, I may have. We did enjoy the steakhouse and went there numerous times because the main dining room food and service was eh eh. I would pick LeBistro over Carnival's steakhouse any day, however.

Fair comment, it was an old ship, although our 4 night was Monday to Friday and not the typical long weekend party cruise. That said, I note your most recent Carnival cruise was more than 2 years ago and the only other one was 8years ago! Many posters in recent months have said the Carnival food product has gone swiftly downhill during the past year or two.

Also a fair point! I think 2 years ago is relatively recent, but yeah, it was a while ago before that.

I do see good reviews mixed with bad ones, just like on NCL. Still, I of course admit that I prefer NCL as a whole. I just don't understand writing off entire lines without having sailed them. Obviously some people enjoy them, kwim? (Says the woman who has zero desire to cruise Royal Caribbean again, for no apparent reason at all, so now I feel like a giant hypocrite!)

This doesn't really answer your question but wanted to add this:

I've only taken 2 cruises on NCL.

On our bermuda cruise (Star)as everyone was boarding to get back on the ship, the staff was out greeting everyone. They handed out moist cool towels , jello shots (without liquor) and had trays with cold water to offer you. They even had speakers playing music. Everyone greeted you with a smile.

Our 2nd cruise Bahamas/Florida(Gem)--As you walked up to board the ship there was a tent set up with speakers playing Caribbean music. The CD and staff were out there dancing and engaging kids and adults to participate. Sponge bob and his friends were out there as well.

I have heard that no other cruise line does this for their passengers as they get ready to leave port. Its a nice touch.

As far as the daily schedule, I have felt that from morning to night there is something to do. Whether it is a yoga class in the wee hours or events they have at the pool area (battle of the sexes)to the late night events in the lounges.

Food-- I have never had a complaint of the food. I have eaten in the specialty restaurants ,the buffet, as well as the MDR. The buffet has a large variety to chose from as well as a cook to order omelette station.My favorite was the Brazilian steakhouse (Moderno). The food just keeps on coming and coming.

While it looks like you got a mixture of answers, I just thought I would add that I have a review in my signature line of the Pearl. It includes TONS of pictures if you are just interested in seeing the ship.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful cruise. Like another poster said "A cruise is what YOU make of it." I can't imagine any cruise dampening my vacation...well, unless it sunk. I make the best out of every cruise. :D

I haven't read all the other answers so mine will probably be repeats to some of them:

1-Formal nights really don't exist, unless you really enjoy dressing up. There will be a couple of nights where some will be dressed for picture taking (well everyone will be dressed I hope) but for the most part, you will see jeans, docker type of pants and some shorts most every night in most dining rooms. The gals will be wearing sun dresses or nice capris, etc. Le Bistro is a little more formal. Hubby usually wears a dress shirt or nice polo to the upscale dining rooms. I can't really compare the dining because we haven't done Carnival in many years.

2-food is very subjective. I have heard many way Carnival actually has better food, except the buffet. NCL has more options, free and otherwise. There are a couple of extra charge dining rooms I highly recommend. One is Modernos and one is Le Bistro. We also love the Asian dining room on the Pearl.

3-Yes, there are things going on throughout the day. When I hear people complain, I have to wonder what they expect? There is always trivia, a lot of time a movie, wine and drink tasting (extra charge, but not much) some pool activities, not a lot: crafts, demonstrations, competitions, dance lessons, etc. We never feel bored plus NCL usually has so many ports there really isn't much time on ship, unless you choose to stay on, which we do from time to time. The night time activities and the entertainment is great on NCL.

4-Yes a 1pm flight is very doable.

Hope this helps, I am sure you will have more questions. I will add, the Carnival cabins are bigger than NCL, so be prepared. There is plenty of storage, but the cabins are not very large. We are fine with them, some prefer the Carnival cabins.