How much weight did you gain?

Ceblake

I actually lost 2.5 pounds on our most recent 14-day NCL b2b.

There comes a point for me on every cruise where I just get sick of eating. That, and being more active usually means my weight doesn't change much. And if I do gain a little, it goes away pretty fast.

Edited by gooch47

It looks like I gained three pounds but it's more from drinking rather than eating. On the hand, my fiancé gained 10 pounds and we‘re thrilled. He is starting chemotherapy next week and his doctor wanted him to gain as much as possible beforehand. He did well. :)

Often LOSE weight while cruising ... which is sometimes a concern because I'm not at all overweight. I don't exercise on cruises -- use elevators rather than stairs, walk as little as possible, etc. Also, I have more alcoholic drinks than I do at home.

Not everyone gains weight on cruises even when they'd welcome putting on a few more pounds.

DH, Roundman, does because he's always eating something even when he's not hungry. :rolleyes:

The KEY seems to be to eat somewhat balanced meals without denying yourself anything ... but to QUIT eating when you are full. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

It looks like I gained three pounds but it's more from drinking rather than eating. On the hand, my fiancé gained 10 pounds and we‘re thrilled. He is starting chemotherapy next week and his doctor wanted him to gain as much as possible beforehand. He did well. :)

Hope everything goes well for the fiance'. :)

Edited by WetToes

I think my son may take the cake on this one....He gained 17 pounds on our last cruise which was a 10 day. He's 18 years old, plays football and lifts weights all the time. The amount of food he can consume is amazing. He even kept a food journal on his phone and here is what he ate:

102 Hot Wings, 9 Calamari, 13 Salads, 6 Cheeseburgers, 5 Sandwiches, 3 Seafood Pastas, 20 Crepes, 8 Breakfast Buffet Plates, 1 Chocolate Mousse, 8 Jellos, 9 Lunch Buffet Plates, 6 Fish Fillets, 10 Cake/Pie slices, 1 Dinner... Entree he can't remember, 4 Cheesecake Slices, 4 Rib Eye Steaks, 1 Shrimp Cocktail, 4 Creme Brulee, 3 Chicken Fillets, 2 Appetizers he can't remember, 5 Bakes (in Dominca), 1 Unkown Dessert, 1 Souffle, 1 Shrimp Platter, 1 Seafood Ciopino, 1 16" Pepperoni Pizza, 1 Chicken Sandwich, 4 servings of bar nuts, 5 Strawberry Smoothies, 2 BBQ Ribs & Shrimp Platters, 1 Nico Pasta Platter, 4 Croissants, 1 Waffle, 2 Egg Breakfast Platters, 2 Panna Cottas, 1 Chicken Parmesan, 1 Flounder, 1 Parmesan Crusted Chicken, 1 Flan, and 1 cupcake. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Without a doubt we got our moneys worth on that cruise!

I gained 4 pounds on this one.

DH and I have never gained weight on a cruise. We take the stairs 99% of the time and do a lot of walking around the ship and on excursions. We also don't overeat . . . OK a couple nights DH will have "second dinner" hahaha! I taste lots of different things, I'm full, but I don't overeat. I feel sick if I overeat and I'd rather enjoy myself and not feel sick on vacation.

I think my son may take the cake on this one....He gained 17 pounds on our last cruise which was a 10 day. He's 18 years old, plays football and lifts weights all the time. The amount of food he can consume is amazing. He even kept a food journal on his phone and here is what he ate:

102 Hot Wings, 9 Calamari, 13 Salads, 6 Cheeseburgers, 5 Sandwiches, 3 Seafood Pastas, 20 Crepes, 8 Breakfast Buffet Plates, 1 Chocolate Mousse, 8 Jellos, 9 Lunch Buffet Plates, 6 Fish Fillets, 10 Cake/Pie slices, 1 Dinner... Entree he can't remember, 4 Cheesecake Slices, 4 Rib Eye Steaks, 1 Shrimp Cocktail, 4 Creme Brulee, 3 Chicken Fillets, 2 Appetizers he can't remember, 5 Bakes (in Dominca), 1 Unkown Dessert, 1 Souffle, 1 Shrimp Platter, 1 Seafood Ciopino, 1 16" Pepperoni Pizza, 1 Chicken Sandwich, 4 servings of bar nuts, 5 Strawberry Smoothies, 2 BBQ Ribs & Shrimp Platters, 1 Nico Pasta Platter, 4 Croissants, 1 Waffle, 2 Egg Breakfast Platters, 2 Panna Cottas, 1 Chicken Parmesan, 1 Flounder, 1 Parmesan Crusted Chicken, 1 Flan, and 1 cupcake. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Without a doubt we got our moneys worth on that cruise!

I gained 4 pounds on this one.

Geez!!! All that and only one cupcake! Ha ha!

On our first ever cruise a few years ago I lost 14lbs over the 21 days and dropped a dress size ...husband gained 14lbs!

on our second cruise last October i lost 7lbs in 11 days and husband gained 7 ...

there is a pattern forming here.

21 nights over christmas and new year I lost 10lbs and yep you guessed it ...husband gained 10.

we walk everywhere and only take elevators down (i have knee issues). I like to still train in the gym daily and as i'm a big coffee drinker i probably walk upstairs to the Lido at least ten times a day. My husband on the other hand can not just go for a coffee, he sees food and he has to eat it. So coffee for me becomes coffee, a slice of pizza (or two) and a cookie for him...

He was seen eating so much that on our last cruise the waiters would come by the pool to let him know fresh food was out ...their words were "the eating competition is on again" ....I would tell him off for this but outside of cruising he's a high protein, low fat and 3 hour workout a day guy.

The most I've ever gained was 4 lbs on a 46 day cruise. I workout almost every day and eat what I want, but only in very small servings. The waiters in the MDR are always concerned that I don't like my food as I never clean my plate, I always eat no more than half. :D

Sherri:)

I do the same thing. I will eat all my appetizer then half of my entrée and half of my dessert and it is usually enough to make me full but not over stuffed...plus I limit myself to 1 roll. The waiters are always asking if I would like to try something else. I also normally eat a late breakfast and a really light lunch with nothing else after dinner.

I think you can be super active and climb all those stairs (which I do) and still gain weight. The question, really, is whether you have gained fat or superficial weight. I think a lot of weight people talk about gaining on cruises is superficial weight. We can also go into the TMI detail but most people's digestive systems don't work as well on vacations either ;) and the food can be much higher sodium than at home.

If you get back home and get back into your regular way of eating it should come off within a week or two at the most. I think the real true tell of what you have gained on a cruise is told if you weigh yourself a week after the cruise vs the night you get back. If you are still up 7 or 8 pounds the week later, then yeah.. you gained weight. :(

I, for one, have to watch my carb intake every day of my life or I will be huge. So guess what I do on vacations? Enjoy the heck out of some carbs. I also usually try to lose a few before I go. So, yes, both my husband I gain some weight on cruises. Yes, we indulge and sometimes overeat. I typically don't stuff myself at the meals but I snack more, grab a cookie here and there and eat desserts everyday. At home I wouldn't dream of eating desserts everyday. Well, maybe dream of it but wouldn't allow myself to do it. My usual very thin 12 year old daughter weighed herself the night she got back from the last cruise and was 5 lbs heavier. By the following Friday it was completely gone. I'm pretty sure she ate her own weight in pizza and ice-cream. As long as she knows that is not how she should eat the other 99% of her life, I do not see the harm in letting her have fun with it on vacation.

I also agree with another poster. I seem to hit the wall after about 3 days of indulging. After that everything starts to taste the same.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

We usually don't gain weight on a cruise, but then we don't overeat that much. A regular breakfast and lunch, we do splurge a bit at dinner. If I eat too much rich food, my digestive tract is very unhappy so that helps keep me in line with all the eating. Even at dinner, the splurge meal, I don't finish everything during each course. I have a couple bites and stop.

I don't find the food to be all that spectacular on cruise ships (doesn't matter the line), so it's easy for me to stop eating. Especially the desserts. They remind me of grocery store bakeries where they make everything look pretty, but the taste just isn't there.

My drink of choice during the day is water, I may have cranberry juice at breakfast. In the evening I have maybe 2 glasses of wine with dinner and water. I think a lot of drinking soft drinks (even diet) and cocktails probably accounts for a lot of the weight gain people have.

We probably do as much walking as most others, but I don't consider that a whole lot of exercise.

I agree with you about the food not being all that spectacular, especially the desserts. For me, however, it is usually more about allowing myself to have things that I would not normally have at home like pancakes or anything remotely sweet at all for breakfast. I do not drink much on cruises either except a little wine. I do think if you hit the ship planning to drink cute frozen drinks all day, you will most certainly gain weight. Frozen drinks and sodas are major reasons for weight gain. I truly believe more than food. Every frozen drink is like a big dessert.

I still think if that is how people vacation, they should enjoy it though. Just pay the price when you get home:)