French door cabins

abisutton

Hello all, curious about the French door cabins I've seen referenced. Any info would be great! Also, are there any inside cabins on ANY CCL ships that have sofas AND the ability to turn the twins into one bed? Thank you for the help! Have fun cruising everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello all, curious about the French door cabins I've seen referenced. Any info would be great! Also, are there any inside cabins on ANY CCL ships that have sofas AND the ability to turn the twins into one bed? Thank you for the help! Have fun cruising everyone!!!

Love them!

All the 4k cabins on spirit class ships can do what you require and are well worth the cost due to being able to open the door and get fresh air but not being able to step out.They are balcony cabin layout without the balcony!

Try and get one between lifeboats (by a rectangle on the deck plan instead of next to a big oval shape...4149 is a good example).

here is a video of one

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/381590-4k-french-door-cabin-video.html

here are some pics in this thread inc between lifeboat views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350309

Edited by Velvetwater

4149 on which ship?

All spirit class ships which are the Legend,Spirit, Pride and the Miracle.

When booking you will see the deck plans so you can pick your room.Choose main deck (deck 4) and you will see that cabins like 4149 and 4140 etc are next to a rectangle on the outside instead of next to a big long oval which represent lifeboats. These cabins next to rectangles will give you a sea view between lifeboats. All the cabins that are 4ks will give you fresh air and natural light though.

Thank you so much, sounds like an amazing way to save money and have a view/sofa!!!

No worries, sorry I could not be more help on other ships.

There will be lots of posters that will have some info on porthole cabins and Ocean views that may have sofas in but I feel 4K cabins are one of the best bargains in many ships worldwide and I did so much searching on other lines but came back to Carnival and one of the reasons was these 4ks.

Thank you so much, sounds like an amazing way to save money and have a view/sofa!!!

It is! We love the 4K class even if all you see is a lifeboat. The ones with a view go quickly or don't hold 3 people. Some hold 2, some hold 3 & some hold 4 - if you are only 2 people you might not be able to book one that holds 4 - that might depend on how far out you book. We booked more than a year out.:o

We have done the 4K's 2x, with another booked for this April. We did an 8-night, 15-night, and the upcoming 16-night...all in Cabin 4140 on the Miracle.

Love this cabin and category. We spend very little time on a balcony, and I really do not like the interiors (I'm a little claustrophobic), so this is the best of both worlds.

During the Panama 15-nighter, we often opened the French Door and relaxed with a nice warm breeze coming in...even slept a night with the door open !

You can't go wrong with these cabins, but unfortunately they are not the secret they use to be, and the ones with a view get booked quickly.

I have been wanting to ask this same question forever! Thanks so much for doing it. ;)

It seems pretty cool. If you can get fresh air without paying for a balcony... wow! If we ever do that class we'll look into booking one of those. :D

I stayed in a 4K on the Legend a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's a great room for the price and is a good compromise between and oceanview and a balcony cabin. We were lucky enough to get a cabin in between lifeboats, so we even had a bit of a view!

I know how you feel Abi, thanks to the people of CC I learnt about these 4ks just in time and changed from an Ocean view....that was last June and now I love telling others too!

Also:

1) prop the door open with the bed by moving it over and back...it is most relaxing to hear the ocean.

2)Keep your curtains closed when dressing as workers are sometimes tinkering about with the lifeboats and beams.

Cant wait to return to MY cabin down the Panama Canal on the Legend! :D

I know how you feel Abi, thanks to the people of CC I learnt about these 4ks just in time and changed from an Ocean view....that was last June and now I love telling others too!

Also:

1) prop the door open with the bed by moving it over and back...it is most relaxing to hear the ocean.

2)Keep your curtains closed when dressing as workers are sometimes tinkering about with the lifeboats and beams.

Cant wait to return to MY cabin down the Panama Canal on the Legend! :D

As you can see in my photo we used the bolsters from the couch/bed to keep it open. By the way, opening the door turns off the AC.

I think that others have done a good job informing you about the 4Ks. On other ships, there are porthole cabins that are classified as interiors, but they have 2 porthole windows, plus the 2 twins that can be pushed together, & a sofa. Those ships would be Sunshine, Triumph, Victory, Conquest, Liberty, Glory, Valor, Freedom, Splendor, Dream, Magic, & Breeze. On these ships, there are also a few porthole cabins that only have 1 twin plus either an upper bunk or sofa bed. The way to tell the difference is that if it is listed as an "Upper/Lower" (category 1A), you only get the 1 twin. If it is listed as "Porthole" (category PT), you'll have 2 twins that can be pushed together. The "Porthole" category rooms are in short supply and sell out quick, because they are priced the same as the cheapest regular interior room. Great deal for the money! On the 8 Fantasy class ships, there are porthole rooms, and a lot of them, so they take longer to sell out. None of them have sofas, but they all have 2 twins that can be pushed together.

Looking at the exterior of the ships, it seems there a teeny lifeboat first in line, and then the larger ones, a few small ones, then all small ones back in the aft section.

Is this accurate?

IOW, having one of these cabins further toward the aft would possibly give you some water view, even if it wasn't one between the lifeboats?

Hi kat228!

I'm not able to get to your pics through your signature. Can you post the link? Thanks!!!

Here's the overall review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140706

And here's the posts specifically with the 4K cabin http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23084623&postcount=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23084670&postcount=3

Edited by kat228

kat - looks like the lifeboat pretty blocked the entire view. Fresh air is nice, but I'd really like to see water!

If you're at the doorway railing, can you see water at all or is it strictly boat?

I could be wrong, but I think you might be looking at the 7A balcony category. Those are on deck 5. The first 3 lifeboat/tenders come up to the balcony railing, and the rest sit flush with the balcony floor. I had cabin 5232 on the Spirit repo to Australia in 2012, and I had a view of water sitting on balcony, looking straight out, but not looking straight down.

The 4k's are on deck 4 and completely block the view, unless you happen to have one between the lifeboats, and then there is some view of the water. I have cabin 4123 on the upcoming Legend repo to Australia...it is between lifeboats.

Debbie

Edited by crzndeb