Ruby 5 day review

snrlnd

Did our first ever 5 day cruise on the Ruby last week. Previous cruises have been 7 days or longer. I’m glad I was paying attention on our cab ride to the ship because as we arrived at the pier I looked up at the ship and our cabbie had taken us to the Crown instead of the Ruby. He admitted his mistake and we proceeded to the correct ship. Priority check in was a breeze as usual and we were on the ship within 5 minutes. It’s always such a pleasant start to a Princess cruise to be checked in by the super friendly staff at Port Everglades.

On the way to the ship gangway, there were signs saying if your room number was in this range to use the left gangway and if your room number was in this range to use the right gangway. Knowing where our room was, it was obvious whoever posted the signs placed them the opposite of how they should have been. We proceeded to the proper gangway and headed to our room to drop off the carry on bags.

We had a balcony on Aloha aft, A710. As usual the room was ready and waiting for us. We headed out for some lunch and when we arrived back to our room around an hour later our bag had been delivered so we went ahead and unpacked.

Others have stated that the Wifi on the Ruby is slow. They are correct. I could never get online on our balcony and many times had a difficult time in the room. A couple of times it took 5+ minutes just to logon to gmail.

Our itinerary was day 1 at sea, day 2 Cozumel, Day 3 Grand Cayman, Day 4 at sea. Our plans for this cruise were R & R. We had no major plans with only one shore excursion booked in Cozumel and an independent beach day in Grand Cayman.

The first sea day we had some breakfast overlooking the aft pool and then headed to the mid ship pool area to get some sun. Chair hogs were plentiful on this cruise but we managed to find a couple of unclaimed loungers.

The next day was Cozumel. We had booked an excursion through Princess which we normally don’t do. For the most part the excursion was a big disappointment. It consisted of a 45 minute boat ride to Isle de Passion, an island of the coast of Cozumel. The tour operator was friendly but aggressive as far as tipping him and to make sure we tipped him separate from the boat crew. On the island the beach was just okay, the chairs were the type that are formed fiberglass that the bottom sits on the sand. They were old and very worn. The drink service on the beach was very good. I also did a 30 minute massage on the beach which was very relaxing. Around noon we headed to the area where we were to eat the included “Mexican buffet”. Much to our dismay the buffet was mostly empty. The food had been consumed by the Caribbean Princess passengers which had arrived an hour ahead of us. The only thing left of any quantity was some spaghetti with some kind of white sauce (Mexican ?). They kept assuring us that they were going to refill the buffet, which they finally did 15 minutes before we had to get back on the boat to head back to the ship. Overall this excursion was a waste of money.

Our next port was Grand Cayman. We decided to go on our own to 7 mile beach to a place called Royal Palms. It has a restaurant, bar, beautiful beach with chairs, umbrellas and water sports. It was a short $4 pp taxi ride to Royal Palms, a $2 entry fee and I can’t remember how much the chairs and umbrella were but very reasonable. The bar staff was very professional and made good drinks. We really enjoyed our day there and would definitely go back the next time we are in G.C.

Our 2nd sea day was a relaxing day at the pool. We headed up earlier in the morning to ensure we could get loungers. We thought we had found some but a single man said this whole group of 24 chairs was reserved for his group and he was holding them all. Wasn’t a problem though as there were still plenty of others available.

We ate in the Botticelli dining room, traditional seating at 8:15 every night except formal night. Our waiter and assistant waiter were both very attentive and we thought the food was quite good and a nice variety each evening. On formal night we went to the Crown Grill. It too was quite good and the service was excellent. Did minimal entertainment but what we did do was enjoyable.

The bar staff was always very friendly and attentive and our cabin steward did a great job keeping our room clean and stocked. Some previous reviews on the shorter cruises have said the staff seemed tired and over worked. We didn’t experience any of that, just the opposite.

One thing that I don’t understand, on the first full day on the cruise, the disembarkation papers were delivered. I really don’t want to think about the cruise ending on the first day. It doesn’t really make any sense why this has to be done so early.

Overall it was a nice relaxing cruise, which is exactly what the plan was. We stayed one extra night in Ft. Lauderdale before heading back to reality.

HI,

Thanks for the review, I am doing the same 5 day as you did on April 12th. I have never sailed on princess, so wanted to give it a try.

We also want to do the crown grille on formal night, I guess you did not have any problem getting a table for that night?

We don't plan on anything special at the ports, this is our 25th wedding anniversary get a way, so plan on just spending a relaxed 5 days.

How was the food in the dining room, heard a lot of bad things about the food.

Helen

HI,

Thanks for the review, I am doing the same 5 day as you did on April 12th. I have never sailed on princess, so wanted to give it a try.

We also want to do the crown grille on formal night, I guess you did not have any problem getting a table for that night?

We don't plan on anything special at the ports, this is our 25th wedding anniversary get a way, so plan on just spending a relaxed 5 days.

How was the food in the dining room, heard a lot of bad things about the food.

Helen

We thought the food in the DR was pretty good and a nice variety. We hadn't sailed in a year or so so we were pleased to see some dishes that we hadn't seen before.

We had no trouble making a reservation for the Crown Grill. I made it in person the night prior. They were fairly full though so don't wait until the last minute.

Have fun on your anniversary cruise!

Thanks for posting your review. We'll be doing the same itinerary in 20 days. I haven't booked anything for either port. Your day in Grand Cayman sounds great. The last time we were there, we just did a little bit of shopping after waiting for the tender lines to subside.

Thanks for the review. We got off the Ruby a few weeks ago too and it was a wonderful cruise. Might I ask what dates your cruise was?

Thanks,

Andrew :)

Another thank you for your review. We were on this cruise as well and found the staff and crew to be great. We could have done without the comedian Al Katz but the magician was great!

Edited by Mapu

2/15-2/20

We were on this cruise 2/15-2/20. We had a great time too. We really enjoyed hearing the Vintage Colgate 13, an a Capella men's group, when they sang in the Piazza the last night of the cruise.

Edited by Granny B

We were on this cruise 2/15-2/20. We had a great time too. We really enjoyed hearing the Vintage Colgate 13, an a Capella men's group, when they sang in the Piazza the last night of the cruise.

The group enjoyed having the opportunity to sing for everyone and fun was had by all!

I'll be posting a live thread for the March 15 St. Patrick's Day/Spring Break cruise.

I did not have any luck with the wi-fi from my cabin or balcony. I had to resort to going to the internet cafe or "Diamonds International" to check email.