Missing Denali?

hellokitty49

We are not sure if we are going to be able to make it to Denali in June before or after our Princess cruise. How major of a mistake is this? I hear so many good things about Denali but I don't think we can pull it off. We've been to Yellowstone and had a great time there so I'm not sure how this could beat that. When I talk to people who have been they name 2 or 3 animals they've seen. Hardly seems like worth the extra money. Any thoughts?

We are not sure if we are going to be able to make it to Denali in June before or after our Princess cruise. How major of a mistake is this? I hear so many good things about Denali but I don't think we can pull it off. We've been to Yellowstone and had a great time there so I'm not sure how this could beat that. When I talk to people who have been they name 2 or 3 animals they've seen. Hardly seems like worth the extra money. Any thoughts?

I think it is a huge mistake to miss Denali. Interesting that the people you talked with only see 2-3 animals. Are they on a cruisetour? Which cruiseline? Do they take one trip into the park or more?

I have seen more wildlife and more varied wildlife in Denali NP than I have anywhere else in Alaska. But I don't rush into the park on a day trip (yes, some try to do that) or even just a night. I am always there with multiple trips on shuttle buses deep into the park.

Also, Denali is much more than animals. The scenery and the Mountain are probably at least as impressive as the wildlife.

Can't imagine going to Alaska and missing Denali.

Have you read thru trip reports to read about people's experiences? Look at the STICKY above called '2013 Alaska cruise reviews''. There were a few reports from folks who took the Natural History Tour and didn't see many animals but they chose a tour that only goes to Mile 17 of 100 miles of available road. I think prime bear viewing starts around mile 50.

If you can swing 3 extra days, it's only a 5 hr drive from Anchorage to Denali.

Getting into Denali was a priority for us. I just couldn't imagine going all the way to Alaska and NOT trying to at least see the tallest mountain in the US. Because of this, I convinced my DH to take off an extra week of vacation! We've been married 29 years and last summer was the first time we've ever taken 2 consecutive weeks of vacation. It was totally worth it! We got to see the mountain 2 days in a row and we saw caribou, Dall Sheep, Moose, bears, eagles on our shuttle to Wonder Lake - and the scenery was BREATHTAKING! I am so glad we didn't miss it.

Our first time to Alaska, we had no choice but to miss Denali. We left Seward on May 10th and Denali wasn't even open until the next day.

That said, when I started planning our 2nd trip to Alaska, I knew I wanted to see Denali National Park. Aside from the animals you may see, Mount McKinley or Denali (Koyukon Athabaskan for "The High One", Dghelaayce’e in Ahtna) is the highest mountain peak in North America, with a summit elevation of 20,237 feet (6,168 m) above sea level.

We did do a HAL cruisetour with only 1 overnight at Denali. We did the Tundra Winderness Tour from 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm. We saw prairie dogs, moose, caribou (a herd of at least 100 racing across the Tundra), bears at least 3 different groups, Dall sheep, a golden eagle, a wolf and thousands of rabbits in the headlights after dark.

Denali complied, we saw it from the domed railcar from Fairbanks to Denali. Yellowstone is a different National Park experience, nothing like Denali is located there.

We also toured Jeff King's Husky Homestead outside of Denali. He is a 4 time winner of the Iditarod sled dog race and I had told my traveling companions I was going if I had to walk. Fortunately HAL offered the tour, so I didn't have to. But it was the only excursion we added to our 11 day cruisetour.

Enjoy whatever extra time you can manage, Alaska is an awesome destination!

Edited by agabbymama

I am probably going to have a different opinion than most on this board.

I am planning my third trip to Alaska in July (once to Denali) and considered skipping Denali this time around, but decided to take the extra week and keep it on the agenda.

Why did I consider skipping?

Last time I went on TWT on cruisetour and saw moose, bear, etc but bear was in far distance.

Eight hour bus tour into park was okay, but do I really want to do that 2-3 days in a row to increase likelihood of seeing wildllife?

Scenery is okay- I prefer lower 48 parks without tundra. Chance of seeing Mt. McKinley is 30% or so and I didn't see it.

I haven't been to Yellowstone in 20-30 years but I liked to drive through park and see animals and I stayed at a lodge and saw moose and a elk being born.

I decided to go to Denali to see if I can see more wildlife on Eielson shuttle with binoculars and I generally like national parks.

Last time that I visitied, I enjoyed the Kenai Fjords cruise over going to Denali. In the final analysis, I couldn't pay the price of going to Alaska and not giving Denali another chance. Maybe I will see Mt McKinley.

Every brochure is going to tell you that Denali can't be missed.

Thanks everyone. I will take the renting a car and driving in as a possible suggestion.

I believe they will only allow private cars in as far as MP14 or MP17. After that you need to take a shuttle bus etc. Everyone recommends going in as far as at least Eielson. I'm just starting to plan so I know others here will have more info as what and how to do it.

Our first time to Alaska, we had no choice but to miss Denali. We left Seward on May 10th and Denali wasn't even open until the next day.

For the sake of others reading this, Denali NP never "closes." The shuttle buses start on May 20th, TWT buses start the same time. The road is open before then as far as snow/ice allow. Usually the road is open to Mile 29 (Tek) by early May and often much earlier than that.

Last time I went on TWT on cruisetour and saw moose, bear, etc but bear was in far distance.

Eight hour bus tour into park was okay, but do I really want to do that 2-3 days in a row to increase likelihood of seeing wildllife?

Scenery is okay- I prefer lower 48 parks without tundra. Chance of seeing Mt. McKinley is 30% or so and I didn't see it....

I decided to go to Denali to see if I can see more wildlife on Eielson shuttle with binoculars and I generally like national parks.

The TWT misses the prime bear habitat that is between mile 60 and 66. I have seen bears multiple times literally on the side of the road. It is not a zoo, so the best answer is "it just depends."

Multiple trips into the park give not only a better chance to see wildlife but also to see Mt. McKinley. But it takes effort to see it. My percentage is more like 95% or higher with about 20 trips into the park. But I don't just take a single shuttle bus into the park. I also make sure I am on very early or very late buses or even stay inside the park. Most often if Mt. McKinley is visible, it is so from late evening until about 8-9am the next morning. Most shuttle and tour buses don't get anywhere close to it by those times.

For the sake of others reading this, Denali NP never "closes." The shuttle buses start on May 20th, TWT buses start the same time. The road is open before then as far as snow/ice allow. Usually the road is open to Mile 29 (Tek) by early May and often much earlier than that.

The TWT misses the prime bear habitat that is between mile 60 and 66. I have seen bears multiple times literally on the side of the road. It is not a zoo, so the best answer is "it just depends."

Multiple trips into the park give not only a better chance to see wildlife but also to see Mt. McKinley. But it takes effort to see it. My percentage is more like 95% or higher with about 20 trips into the park. But I don't just take a single shuttle bus into the park. I also make sure I am on very early or very late buses or even stay inside the park. Most often if Mt. McKinley is visible, it is so from late evening until about 8-9am the next morning. Most shuttle and tour buses don't get anywhere close to it by those times.

All I can report is what we were told, and that is that the road into Denali was not open yet when we were in Anchorage on May 10.

All I can report is what we were told, and that is that the road into Denali was not open yet when we were in Anchorage on May 10.

And I can only report what the National Park Service says - the park itself never closes, but access is different before May 20.

Yes, the road into Denali might not be open for vehicles before May 20, but it is always open (some use bicycles, skis, snowshoes, dog teams, etc., depending on the season and road conditions).

And I can only report what the National Park Service says - the park itself never closes, but access is different before May 20.

Yes, the road into Denali might not be open for vehicles before May 20, but it is always open (some use bicycles, skis, snowshoes, dog teams, etc., depending on the season and road conditions).

frugaltravel,

I'm 67 years old and terribly out of shape. I couldn't walk into the park, let alone ride a bicycle, skis, snowshoes, etc. And while the dog team & sled sounds like fun, I think it would be beyond my financial means.

An adventurer I'm not, I was perfectly content to take the Tundra Wilderness Tour on our second trip to Alaska & the Yukon cruisetour.

As you said "open" and "accessible to traffic" are two different things. Sorry if my using the word "Closed" mislead anyone.

As you said "open" and "accessible to traffic" are two different things. Sorry if my using the word "Closed" mislead anyone.

Eleanor: I don't think that the word "closed" mislead anyone. The opening of the road in the park can be delayed for bus traffic due to snow conditions. And obviously no one is taking a dog mushing adventure in the park at a lower elevation in early May.

I think it is a huge mistake to miss Denali. Interesting that the people you talked with only see 2-3 animals. Are they on a cruisetour? Which cruiseline? Do they take one trip into the park or more?

I have seen more wildlife and more varied wildlife in Denali NP than I have anywhere else in Alaska. But I don't rush into the park on a day trip (yes, some try to do that) or even just a night. I am always there with multiple trips on shuttle buses deep into the park.

Also, Denali is much more than animals. The scenery and the Mountain are probably at least as impressive as the wildlife.

I am trying to decide between the visitor center and Wonder lake for a final shuttle destination. What I was hoping somebody could help me with is, what is available at each stop along the route? facilities? any seating area? I know the photo op at Wonder Lake would be well worth the ride, but if we aren't big hikers, is it close to view from the shuttle stop?

I am trying to decide between the visitor center and Wonder lake for a final shuttle destination. What I was hoping somebody could help me with is, what is available at each stop along the route? facilities? any seating area? I know the photo op at Wonder Lake would be well worth the ride, but if we aren't big hikers, is it close to view from the shuttle stop?

Depends on when you are going. Non-hikers are more apt to go to Wonder Lake. Hikers are more apt to get off at Eielson to give them more time to hike either near Eielson or another area between Eielson and the entrance.

The only "facilities" anywhere past the entrance are vault toilets except a bookstore tent at Toklat and the visitor center at Eielson. Eielson has a seating area. Wonder Lake has a couple of picnic tables. That is really about it.

Depends on when you are going. Non-hikers are more apt to go to Wonder Lake. Hikers are more apt to get off at Eielson to give them more time to hike either near Eielson or another area between Eielson and the entrance.

The only "facilities" anywhere past the entrance are vault toilets except a bookstore tent at Toklat and the visitor center at Eielson. Eielson has a seating area. Wonder Lake has a couple of picnic tables. That is really about it.

It's late Aug. '14 for us! Thank you!!!

We followed the advice of the many posters and included Denali. It is a vast wilderness that is an awesome experience, esp. when you see some wildlife in their natural habitat. We were glad we visited. However, Denali NP is by no means our favorite National Park. It actually falls down the list.

We followed the advice of the many posters and included Denali. It is a vast wilderness that is an awesome experience, esp. when you see some wildlife in their natural habitat. We were glad we visited. However, Denali NP is by no means our favorite National Park. It actually falls down the list.

How is that possible? When you have the highest mountain peak in North America, + all the wildlife. I've never seen a Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle at Yosemite or Yellowstone.

I live in Southern California and have visited many of our National Parks and seen Bison and Bears too, but just to know you are on our "Last Frontier" has be be something special. And when I saw the herd of 100-150 caribou racing across the Tundra at full speed, it was exciting to say the least. And then the rain clouds parted and we caught the last remaining light shining on Denali, it was absolutely breathtaking. And the quiet at 11:00 pm at night walking through the forest back to our duplex cabin at McKinley Chalet, you could hear the wind whisper through the trees telling you, you were indeed in a special place.

Guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks! Happy travels to all.

Don't miss Denali. Sure it is expensive and time consuming. But it is an experience like no other.

We took the shuttle to the river (Tek?). (Eilson was closed and they didn't really run to there.)

Saw (in order) Moose about two miles in. 4 wolves about 6 miles in. Grizzly. another wolf that came right up to the bus. Red Fox, Dall Sheep, more Grizz. more Grizz, more Sheep. Finished the trip in with Caribou in the river. On the way out. Grizz, the same sheep. more Grizz, more Grizz. and finished with Caribou on a ridge near where we saw the Wolves on the way in.

Cannot compare Denali with the other National Parks because they are all so different. (I have been to 38 of the big ones and about 40 of the smaller National Parks.) Denali is different from Yellowstone. different from Rocky Mountain, different from Grand Canyon, different from Everglades. different from Mammoth Cave.

So don't miss it, if you have the chance to visit.

If turning the corner and seeing Polychrome Pass doesn't make you stop breathing for a second, I don't know what will.

I've traveled across this planet a fair amount but I've never experienced anything like going along and seeing Polychrome for the first time, sitting down on side of the road and literally weeping at the sheer beauty of this world.

I will never forget that as long as I live.

Denali is simply a must do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD