Celebrity/Royal Caribbean

jaspersmommy

I've booked an 7-day northbound Alaska cruise out of Vancouver for June 2015 on the Celebrity Millennium. We've done this intinerary previously on Millennium and we loved it. I was looking at Royal Caribbean's website, and I can a do an identical itinerary for signficantly less cost on the Radiance of the Seas.

I've never tried Royal Caribbean before. We are booked in an S1 right now with Celebrity and were thinking of upgrading to a Celebrity Suite. The Junior Suites and Grand Suites on the Radiance of the Seas seem like comparable staterooms.

Can anyone who is a veteran of cruising with both lines tell me what you think the major differences are that we would see if we went with Royal Caribbean instead? Would we notice a large decline in quality of food? How about things like service, amenities on the ship, etc.

Thanks so much!

They have both similarities and differences. On average RCI caters more to families traveling with children and to young adults and provides a more energetic, activity centric cruise experience with lots of nightlife. Celebrity caters to an older crowd and provides a more sophisticated, upscale experience with more of an emphasis on relaxation and providing some upscale touches. Celebrity does budget a bit more money into food and there are fewer passengers per staff member - so there on average is better food and service, but the difference is not huge. The Radiance class ships of RCI are older and do not have the massive side or myriad of activities the newer RCI ships have such as ice skating rinks, flo riders, zip lines etc. - so they are a bit more similar to a Celebrity experience than if you were to sail on one of the newer classes of RCI ships. Both are good lines and if Radiance is much less expensive, it may be worth trying.

We have done Radiance twice to Alaska and loved it! There is a large amount of glass/windows on Radiance and you always feel like you are :on the water:. If it wasn't such a ling trip cross country for us to fly, we would go each year! There is so much to see and do in Alaska, I would save the money and go on the radiance. Try to get an aft cabin, the views are gorgeous!!

In my opinion the Jr Suite and Grand Suite on RCCL while nice, are not as nice as the Sky suites and not even close to a Celebrity suite. Also no butler on Royal!

Both times we has a suite on RCCL we had banging of the pool loungers being put out every morning:eek:

We liked Royal but have converted to Celebrity.

We have sailed on both ships (Millennium last month and Radiance last year) and they are more similar than different. Both of our cruises were warm weather cruises - South Pacific on Radiance, and Asia on Millennium so for me I preferred Millennium as they have a WAY nicer pool deck, more open, much more comfortable sunloungers and more spas on the deck.

Entertainment was on par in my opinion, and food in the main dining room was on par. However, the buffet (Windjammer) on Radiance is FAR superior to Millennium's Oceanview cafe (Windjammer has much better food, more variety and easier to navigate. More like a restaurant buffet with separate stations than the long cafeteria style on Millennium. We loved the outdoor seating at the back of both buffets (again, warm weather cruise) and Millennium often had a singer out there at night, where Radiance did not.

Millennium was an older crowd, but I think it was the nature of the cruise and itinerary, but this made no difference to us. We had teenagers with us, and they loved both cruises.

We found more to do on Millennium during the day - port talks, art lectures (not just auctions), improv comedy, lectures on things pertaining to Asia. None of this was available on Radiance. Both had different kinds of entertainment happening after dinner. On Radiance - Piano lounge, English pub, Karaoke, games. On Millennium - many late night theme shows in the cosmos lounge with the singers and dancers, and a comedian a couple of times.

I cant comment on the suites as we had a regular balcony cabin.

Both ships are equally beautiful, so it's a hard call. If pressed I would say I prefer Millennium but it's personal choice.

We did Alaska on Radiance (probably our best cruise ever) and also cruised on Millenium-Class.

I agree with the others, usually RCL caters more to families. However not so on Alaska cruises. Alaska is just not the typical family destination - so no worries here.

Radiance has just seen a refurb and is a beautiful ship.

Food is, unless you dine in BLU, pretty similar.

Celebrity has a bit more "modern luxury", OK. But that does not mean at all, that Radiance is not luxurious...

Really a hard call...

One Point goes to Radiance because of all the glass and all the views - great for Alaska.

Here a picture heavy review on our Alaska trip. Don´t mind the German text, just enjoy the pics...

http://www.kreuzfahrtinfos.at/kfi-forum/board3-kreuzfahrt-reedereien/board54-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/board91-reisebericht-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/4395-reisebericht-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-09-2013/

Oliver

We did Alaska on Radiance (probably our best cruise ever) and also cruised on Millenium-Class.

I agree with the others, usually RCL caters more to families. However not so on Alaska cruises. Alaska is just not the typical family destination - so no worries here.

Radiance has just seen a refurb and is a beautiful ship.

Food is, unless you dine in BLU, pretty similar.

Celebrity has a bit more "modern luxury", OK. But that does not mean at all, that Radiance is not luxurious...

Really a hard call...

One Point goes to Radiance because of all the glass and all the views - great for Alaska.

Here a picture heavy review on our Alaska trip. Don´t mind the German text, just enjoy the pics...

http://www.kreuzfahrtinfos.at/kfi-forum/board3-kreuzfahrt-reedereien/board54-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/board91-reisebericht-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/4395-reisebericht-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-09-2013/

Oliver

One word to describe your photos - "WOW!" Thank you for sharing. These pictures are amazing. DH and I are thinking about cruising to Alaska end of August or early September. What month was your trip?

Based on your posting and the others on this thread we may consider RC as we have never sailed on one of their ships and always have chosen Celebrity. Thanks for sharing!

They have both similarities and differences. On average RCI caters more to families traveling with children and to young adults and provides a more energetic, activity centric cruise experience with lots of nightlife. Celebrity caters to an older crowd and provides a more sophisticated, upscale experience with more of an emphasis on relaxation and providing some upscale touches. Celebrity does budget a bit more money into food and there are fewer passengers per staff member - so there on average is better food and service, but the difference is not huge. The Radiance class ships of RCI are older and do not have the massive side or myriad of activities the newer RCI ships have such as ice skating rinks, flo riders, zip lines etc. - so they are a bit more similar to a Celebrity experience than if you were to sail on one of the newer classes of RCI ships. Both are good lines and if Radiance is much less expensive, it may be worth trying.

Can't argue with most of the statements but the differences are very, very minor. Also, the food cost per passenger statistic is very difficult to substantiate. Food is the same quality on both cruise lines.

Both are great ships and you will enjoy a cruise on either one.

Now I want to book a cruise to Alaska. Would love to know what brand of camera you were using/lenses.

As far as the topic of which to go with RCI or X I just came off of RCI the cruise following the Noro 700 outbreak and I had a Jr. Suite which is just a larger room. There is a tub and decent size balcony but the word Suite should be removed. The word suite on X means a whole lot of extras and service and that is not the case with a Jr. on RCI. I cannot speak for the Grand Suite since I have not had one. Since both cruises will be enjoyable I would probably look at the itineraries, how much time in port, which ports, and then look at prices. I am sure you will enjoy either one for different reasons.

In my opinion the Jr Suite and Grand Suite on RCCL while nice, are not as nice as the Sky suites and not even close to a Celebrity suite. Also no butler on Royal!

Both times we has a suite on RCCL we had banging of the pool loungers being put out every morning:eek:

We liked Royal but have converted to Celebrity.

Jelayne I get what you're saying, but I'm talking about suite sizes - not the total suite experience. In addition, for me - not having a butler is a plus. We rarely use the butler and I always end up giving them a big tip that wasn't earned (I feel guilty for not using the butler - like I'm taking money out of his pocket, so I leave a nice tip anyway). With regards to pool loungers, I don't think that will be a factor in a June Alaska cruise!

Thank you everyone for all your input. I hate to do it, but I think I will cancel the X cruise and go with RCI. The itineraries are identical, and it's a port-intensive cruise. I've put a hold on Grand Suite 1556 on Radiance of the Seas - it looks like a great option, and is significantly less cost than an S1 on Millennium. I think if this cruise had more sea days I would stay with X, but in this case I think RCI is a better value. I want to save my pennies for an extra-special vacation next year for our 20th anniversary.

BTW... we last sailed Alaska 3 years ago on Millennium. The S1 cost for 2015 is a few hundred more than we paid for a Celebrity Suite in 2011. Interesting... I wonder if the prices will hold.

Edited by jaspersmommy

With regards to pool loungers, I don't think that will be a factor in a June Alaska cruise!

You might be surprised. Our cruise last year (on the Millie) it was in the 90's and sunny for all but 2 days - day of embarkation in Seward and our day in Skagway. There were people using the pool, although not many so you if you are so inclined, you would definitely be able to get a lounger. :)

We've done suites on both X (Sky Suite and Royal Suite) and RC (Owners Suite). I much prefer the suites on X. We don't use the butler a lot, but they have been wonderful assets - get DH a tux on one cruise, "doctoring" me on our AK cruise when I got a cold, making reservations for Qsine, giving us excursion tips. They've been wonderful. The RC Owner's suite was nice since there were 4 of us in the cabin, but I didn't like that lack of privacy - only a sliding curtain to separate the "master bedroom" from the sitting area/sleeping area for our kids. On X, the Royal Suite had a separate bedroom with a door for much more privacy.

With such a port intensive itinerary, I chose X in Alaska because for me it's a much more relaxed atmosphere. My 76yo mother sailed with us so I wanted her to be able to feel more relaxed also. My 13yo & 17yo were just out of luck on that cruise. They liked the RC cruise we took because of all the added stuff to do - ice skating, rock wall etc. They had a great time on that cruise, but it too was very port intensive and I was exhausted trying to fit everything in. DH and I will be back on X next year in a Celebrity Suite - port intense again, but I'll build in some extra downtime.

You might be surprised. Our cruise last year (on the Millie) it was in the 90's and sunny for all but 2 days - day of embarkation in Seward and our day in Skagway. There were people using the pool, although not many so you if you are so inclined, you would definitely be able to get a lounger. :)

We've done suites on both X (Sky Suite and Royal Suite) and RC (Owners Suite). I much prefer the suites on X. We don't use the butler a lot, but they have been wonderful assets - get DH a tux on one cruise, "doctoring" me on our AK cruise when I got a cold, making reservations for Qsine, giving us excursion tips. They've been wonderful. The RC Owner's suite was nice since there were 4 of us in the cabin, but I didn't like that lack of privacy - only a sliding curtain to separate the "master bedroom" from the sitting area/sleeping area for our kids. On X, the Royal Suite had a separate bedroom with a door for much more privacy.

With such a port intensive itinerary, I chose X in Alaska because for me it's a much more relaxed atmosphere. My 76yo mother sailed with us so I wanted her to be able to feel more relaxed also. My 13yo & 17yo were just out of luck on that cruise. They liked the RC cruise we took because of all the added stuff to do - ice skating, rock wall etc. They had a great time on that cruise, but it too was very port intensive and I was exhausted trying to fit everything in. DH and I will be back on X next year in a Celebrity Suite - port intense again, but I'll build in some extra downtime.

LOL... the odds of 90 degrees in mid-June in Alaska are miniscule (average is in the 60's), so I definitely won't be worrying about whether there's a poolside chair with my name on it! Lucky you getting weather like that...

I agree that the butler can be an asset if you need him, but we rarely do - so that's one luxury that I am fine with foregoing.

X is definitely our favourite line and would normally be our first choice. However, due to a number of factors, I still feel like RCI is better value for our needs on this one particular cruise.

@ Eleris

All these pics were taken with a Canon EOS D650, which is the European model of the Canon Rebel something, I believe 5.

Most of them using a Sigma 18-200 Lens. Some (ie in Denali) using a Canon 70-250 lens.