Travel irons and how any have managed to get them onboard

The Top Ten Causes of Household Fires

10. Christmas Trees

9. Storing Flamables in the House

8. Dryers

7. Fireplaces

6. Candles

5. Electrical (Primarily the Over Use of Extension Cords)

4. Heating (Primarily Electrical Space Heaters or Wood Buring Stoves)

3. Smoking

2. Kids Playing with Fire

and the #1 cause of house fires....Cooking.

No travel irons, blow dryers, hair straighteners, etc. My opinion, management doesn't want 2,000 travel irons on the ship drawing electricity at one time, i.e, the morning or right before dinner. Too heavy of a load for the system.

A cruise ship is not a household.

A cruise ship does not have Christmas trees, wood burning stoves, fireplaces, etc.

Also, they discourage extension cords, kids playing with matches, cooking, and storing of flamable liquids in the cabins.

Maybe you and LetsGetWet need a little more information so you can understand the whole irons/fire at sea thing.

First of all passengers on cruise ships are not always the brightest bulbs in the box (present company excluded), but I think it's more ignorance than anything else. People who use travel irons in their cabins frequently use the bed as an ironing board. If they leave the iron on the bed because they are in a rush to go have more fun, then the fire can start there. Ironing board covers are made to scorch, not catch fire.

Travel irons, especially the older models, do not have the safety features a full size iron has. Many models do not have an overheat/shut-off feature. That's how a fire can start even if the iron is left sitting on the desk top plugged in.

And, last, but not least: IT'S MARINE FIRE LAW we are talking about. It's not a ruse to get more money out of their passengers; it's a true safety hazard.

I used to bring a travel iron on board with me, but switched to just spraying the clothes down with water and smoothing the fabric with my hands.

Thanks, but I have all the information I need... ;)

On second thought, tell me more about this MARINE FIRE LAW - link please? :)

Well that about settles it. CB has stated unequivocally that an iron is not a "fire hazard" so I expect that any day now, RCI will reverse its policy based on her determination. Must be great to be the world's leading expert on everything including fire safety, the only civilized place on a cruise to eat breakfast, how the glass over the solarium filters out the UV rays that cause sunburn, tanning, and sometimes skin cancers.:rolleyes:

It is truly amazing what you can learn from reading guide books these days. :D

Irons don't cause fires, careless people cause fires. :D

I Travel a lot. I never take my travel iron out of my suitcase. I have cruised many times and it has never been taken away. Perhaps I am special or my suitcase is lined with lead so the can't see inside.

Since I'm on vacation and not stuck in some hotel room with nothing better to do than iron, I use the laundry service everyday.

Off topic but my cancoon hotel went to each room and handed out matches and candles to everyone during a power outage. Yikes!!! Smoke alarms were going off all night long. Grrrrrr:mad:

A cruise ship does not have Christmas trees, wood burning stoves, fireplaces, etc.

Also, they discourage extension cords, kids playing with matches, cooking, and storing of flamable liquids in the cabins.

I already responded to this criticism in post #37.

However, the leading causes of hotel room fires are electrical malfunction (extension cords), open flame (candles), appliances (cooking), arson, and smoking.

I'm not advocating for the use of travel irons; they should be left at home. But the "facts" about their ability to start fires is over-exaggerated.

Maybe you and LetsGetWet need a little more information so you can understand the whole irons/fire at sea thing.

First of all passengers on cruise ships are not always the brightest bulbs in the box (present company excluded), but I think it's more ignorance than anything else. People who use travel irons in their cabins frequently use the bed as an ironing board. If they leave the iron on the bed because they are in a rush to go have more fun, then the fire can start there. Ironing board covers are made to scorch, not catch fire.

Travel irons, especially the older models, do not have the safety features a full size iron has. Many models do not have an overheat/shut-off feature. That's how a fire can start even if the iron is left sitting on the desk top plugged in.

And, last, but not least: IT'S MARINE FIRE LAW we are talking about. It's not a ruse to get more money out of their passengers; it's a true safety hazard.

I used to bring a travel iron on board with me, but switched to just spraying the clothes down with water and smoothing the fabric with my hands.

I understand that people can misuse a travel iron. You do know that many (if not most) of the materials in the stateroom are flame retardant (including the bedding)?

Again, I'm not advocating for the use of travel irons, I'm just presenting facts.

Flame retardant means that items are slower to burn.... not that they won't.....

Flame retardants are compounds added to manufactured materials, such as plastics and textiles, and surface finishes and coatings that inhibit, suppress, or delay the production of flames to prevent the spread of fire.

It's going to produce smoke. Smoke will set off the alarms. Emergency teams will respond. The issue will be addressed before the room goes up in flames. The idiot that caused it will hopefully be kicked off the ship.

I'm not sure why everyone is going back and forth on this. It's against the rules, so don't bring it aboard. No one should feel the need to state their "facts" why a travel iron shouldn't be allowed on the ship.

Edited by comxkid

no post is complete until the anti-smoking folks weigh in.

cigs and cigar smoking is not allowed in the room.. I'm assuming someone sneaking on an iron (not voluntarily handing it to security) would use it in their room. not take it outside to a designated ironing area.

I think this is Goodwin's Cruise Critic Law. (Also applies to dress code militia and anti-alcohol smuggling.)

Wait, what? Since when?

Guest maddycat
If that's the issue- then just turn it in as you board. You will sign it in, and when you get off the ship, you can pick it back up. They should find it when you pass through the metal detector- so bring it with your carry on luggage.

The other "option" is a wrinkle out spray that has been suggested here. Not sure if that will work for you, but it's a suggestion.

The wrinkle release sprays do work.

I understand that people can misuse a travel iron. You do know that many (if not most) of the materials in the stateroom are flame retardant (including the bedding)?

Again, I'm not advocating for the use of travel irons, I'm just presenting facts.

Yes, but one of the issues with fire safety laws regarding passenger ships is having flame retardant materials BECAUSE OF WHAT PASSENGERS MAY BRING ON BOARD A SHIP THAT ARE FLAMMABLE (i.e. travel irons). The materials in the stateroom are to ensure either a non/slower fire.

If you want to wade through this document published by the U.S. Coast Guard, you will see what I'm referring to in the paragraph about "Passenger Vessel Regulations and Fire Test Standards":

http://ntl.bts.gov/data/letter_am/ahj.pdf

Yes, but one of the issues with fire safety laws regarding passenger ships is having flame retardant materials BECAUSE OF WHAT PASSENGERS MAY BRING ON BOARD A SHIP THAT ARE FLAMMABLE (i.e. travel irons). The materials in the stateroom are to ensure either a non/slower fire.

If you want to wade through this document published by the U.S. Coast Guard, you will see what I'm referring to in the paragraph about "Passenger Vessel Regulations and Fire Test Standards":

http://ntl.bts.gov/data/letter_am/ahj.pdf

Yep, they're to assure that material will not catch fire easily and if they do will burn slowly BECAUSE OF WHAT PASSENGERS MAY BRING ON BOARD A SHIP THAT ARE FLAMMABLE including:

• travel irons
  • curling irons
  • cigarettes
  • matches
  • lighters

among other things. If "fire hazard" were the ONLY reason, they wouldn't single out a single item like travel irons. Travel irons are also a negative factor for onboard ship revenue, and if you think that's not a factor, you're just being naive.

Disclaimer: Like comxkid and others, I have NO intention of bringing a travel iron on board the ship. Its their rule, and they're entitled to it, whether its for fire safety, protecting additional revenue sources or a combination of both.

DANCINMAN66, did you ever think of calling Royal and explaining your situation?

If your sole need for the iron is post cruise, they may give you permission to turn it in when you board.

That's what I was trying to find out here and apparently is the way to go

Also like this anti wrinkle spray

Thanks

Only wanted a quick answer here and have nearly produced the complete works of Shakespeare

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well that about settles it. CB has stated unequivocally that an iron is not a "fire hazard" so I expect that any day now, RCI will reverse its policy based on her determination. Must be great to be the world's leading expert on everything including fire safety, the only civilized place on a cruise to eat breakfast, how the glass over the solarium filters out the UV rays that cause sunburn, tanning, and sometimes skin cancers.:rolleyes:

It was just more words of wisdom from the seagull poster.:D

It is truly amazing what you can learn from reading guide books these days. :D

Yes, and reading those guide books with binoculars.:D

Travel irons are also a negative factor for onboard ship revenue, and if you think that's not a factor, you're just being naive.

There is very little about cruising that I am naive about.

It's just that the fire hazard far outweighs the reduced revenue stream regarding forbidding travel irons.

Cruise lines are concentrating on selling booze, shore excursions, specialty restaurant meals, and stuff from their shops more than their laundry services. The items I just listed have a HUGE mark-up (hence, the more popular revenue sources with the cruise ships), while the laundry prices on cruise ships are very reasonable.

There is very little about cruising that I am naive about.

It's just that the fire hazard far outweighs the reduced revenue stream regarding forbidding travel irons.

Cruise lines are concentrating on selling booze, shore excursions, specialty restaurant meals, and stuff from their shops more than their laundry services. The items I just listed have a HUGE mark-up (hence, the more popular revenue sources with the cruise ships), while the laundry prices on cruise ships are very reasonable.

Then please explain why they allow curling irons, which get every bit as hot as travel irons and are therefore every bit as much of a fire hazard if misused?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Then please explain why they allow curling irons, which get every bit as hot as travel irons and are therefore every bit as much of a fire hazard if misused?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I don't know, but following your logic they should, because then they would sell more hair services. :D